Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Wither Game Seven

Wither Game Seven

After a quick stroll through Baseball Reference here are the seven-game World Series's by decade. I started with the 30's because the 20's had a few nine game series.

30's: 2
    40's: 4
    50's: 5
    60's: 6
    70's: 5
    80's: 4
    90's: 2
    00's: 2
    Teens: 1 so far

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wither Game Seven

"Whither"

4. Likes:

Degenerate39 (10-31-2013)

I prefer game six to game seven anyways. I like the suspense that it might end that night but might not which is more like baseball than a winner take all game. Leads to great drama like the "we will see you tomorrow night" calls.

Any logical reasons why the 60's had that many? With integration in full swing, were teams more even then or was it simply the Yankees dynasty essentially died that decade?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Any logical reasons why the 60's had that many? With integration in full swing, were teams more even then or was it simply the Yankees dynasty essentially died that decade?
    Probably just randomness. The only reason I could think that might be possible is back then you were automatically getting the best team from each league so they were going to be closer in talent level. More than possibly a division champ and a wild card team.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    "Whither"
    Maybe OP is making the point that the number of Game 7s is dwindling?
    /r/reds

9. Likes:

Rojo (10-31-2013)

I prefer Game 7, knowing both teams are in an "all hands on deck, anything goes" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I prefer game six to game seven anyways. I like the suspense that it might end that night but might not which is more like baseball than a winner take all game. Leads to great drama like the "we will see you tomorrow night" calls.
    That scenario could also happen during games 4 and 5 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I prefer Game 7, knowing both teams are in an "all hands on deck, anything goes" situation.
    A game 7 is one of the greatest things in sports.

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-01-2013),Red Raindog (11-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I don't know but no decade had as many terrific World Series. 1960 had the remarkable series with three blow out Yankee wins (18-4, 16-3 and 10-0 IIRC) but the Pirates won the series on Mazeroski's HR in game seven. 1962 came down to game seven with Willie McCovey's line drive being grabbed by Bobby Richardson to prevent the Giants from defeating the Yankees. 1964 was a terrific back and forth duel between the Cardinals and Yankees, highlighted by Bob Gibson's gutty pitching. 1965 also went game seven, highlighted by Sandy Koufax pitching a shutout in game seven on two days rest. 1967 featured numerous heroes, including Yaz, Lonborg and Brock, but Gibson was the difference, pitching three complete game victories for the Cards. Mickey Lolich duplicated Gibson's feat in 1968, beating Gibson in game seven.
    Most of the non-seven game series were also memorable in their own way. Dodger pitching was remarkable in sweeping the Yankees in 1963, while Oriole pitching was even better in sweeping the Dodgers in 1966. The Mets victory in five games in 1969 was also memorable, given their history of total futility prior to 1969. 1961 featured the Reds in only their fourth Series appearance ever up to that point, although they were not up to the challenge presented by the Mantle & Maris Yankees, losing in five.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

15. Likes:

Roy Tucker (11-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    1962 came down to game seven with Willie McCovey's line drive being grabbed by Bobby Richardson to prevent the Giants from defeating the Yankees.

I believe the two Peanuts strips ran about a month apart a few weeks after the Series. I remember reading them years later as a boy. Nice piece about that play/ series here:
    http://giantspologrounds.mlblogs.com...illie-mccovey/

Great film from game 7 here.

Last edited by klw; 11-01-2013 at 08:43 AM.

17. Likes:

RedsBaron (11-04-2013),Revering4Blue (11-01-2013),Roy Tucker (11-01-2013)

Turn Off Ads?