Turn Off Ads?

Thread: WEHT - Kirk Saarloos

WEHT - Kirk Saarloos

I admit i was not overly curious about where kirk saarloos was but i enjoyed reading about his succes as a college pitching coach. Hope good things for his future.

Kirk Craig Saarloos (born May 23, 1979 in Long Beach, California) is a former right-handed Major League Baseball pitcher. He was the 2011 Cal State Fullerton coaching staff as an undergraduate assistant coach. Saarloos returns to the school that propelled him to a seven-year major league career with Houston (2002–03), Oakland (2004–06, 08) and Cincinnati (2007). He will continue to work towards his bachelor's degree in communications at Cal State Fullerton. He became the Pitching Coach of Texas Christian University in the summer of 2012. He led the team to the lowest ERA in school history since 1968.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: WEHT - Kirk Saarloos

I remember liking the Reds signed him.

Now looking back on it, I have no idea why I thought that was a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

4. Likes:

edabbs44 (11-06-2013),Tom Servo (11-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

Same here in both regards. I'd say it's indicative of how low our standards were for pitching at the time.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Same here in both regards. I'd say it's indicative of how low our standards were for pitching at the time.
    If I recall correctly, at that time we were all desperate for a groundball pitcher. That sinker had more sink than a bowling ball in the ocean.

Nice guy. He had a guy on the USA team few years ago and I had emailed Kirk about him, he responded about him and we exchanged a few more emails after that.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

He's a perfect fit for the ballpark, they said!

They signed him? Based upon his performance after they traded for him, I can't believe they would go out and sign him. What fools.

There were actually big arguments about it.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

His relatives (I belive his aunt and uncle) own a winery in Santa Barabara County called Saarloos and Sons and have a tasting room in a little town called Los Olivos. Very nice people and good wine. I asked them about Kirk a few years back and they filled me in on his coaching career.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

He was a former Lexington Legend and always very nice to the fans.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?