Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In DEFENSE of Brandon Phillips

Re: In DEFENSE of Brandon Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds went 15-8 after that incident, including taking 3 out of 4 from the Cardinals. If anything, that incident lit a fire under the team.
    Actually they went 15-14 including the "playoff" loss. But statisics are statistics so I'll amend my post:

"and that the CTrent incident was the straw that broke the camel's back- The team went on a little spurt immediately thereafter, but then totally tanked down the stretch. "

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Actually they went 15-14 including the "playoff" loss. But statisics are statistics so I'll amend my post:

"and that the CTrent incident was the straw that broke the camel's back- The team went on a little spurt immediately thereafter, but then totally tanked down the stretch. "
    That tanking happened nearly a month after the incident, so it really isn't fair to connect the two. In fact, the Reds seemed to have started winning streaks after each Phillips incident. They might want to have him running his mouth off more often, lol.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

4. Likes:

bounty37h (11-04-2013),joshua (11-02-2013),REDREAD (11-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That tanking happened nearly a month after the incident, so it really isn't fair to connect the two. In fact, the Reds seemed to have started winning streaks after each Phillips incident. They might want to have him running his mouth off more often, lol.
    I won't be that upset if he runs his mouth off for somebody else. The Reds are a good team that should have been better and have now collapsed two years in a row. Its pretty obvious from listening to LeCure, Leake, and Price that the clubhouse wasn't what it should have been. Time for BP, and some others, to grow up.

6. Likes:

LoganBuck (11-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    You think that number's low or high?

I'm amazed that 30 people here apparently don't think interpersonal relationships are an important facet of building a championship team. If the team's owner was fair game for irrational, ad hominem criticism in the media, who else besides C. Trent was fair game for it in the clubhouse?
    Amazingly high!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

8. Likes:

Mutaman (11-03-2013)

I have a feeling the rest of the Reds team couldn't have cared less about CTrent's feelings...

All of this reaching in order to defame Brandon Phillips is too much to handle.

10. Likes:

bounty37h (11-04-2013),jimbo (11-03-2013),joshua (11-02-2013),REDREAD (11-05-2013),TSJ55 (11-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post
    I have a feeling the rest of the Reds team couldn't have cared less about CTrent's feelings...

All of this reaching in order to defame Brandon Phillips is too much to handle.
    1. Who's "reaching" to "defame" Phillips? He's a great Redleg. One of my favorites. But he needs to grow up and he needs to shut up.

2. As far as speculating how the rest of the team felt about the "incident", Daugherty reported:

"But he (BP) has teammates, lots of them, who don’t appreciate his style. Who, in fact, sided with the reporter in the dustup. Think about that. Players siding with a member of the heathen media, over one of their own.' "
    10/22/13
    Last edited by Mutaman; 11-03-2013 at 01:19 AM.

12. Likes:

CoachBombay (11-04-2013),Hubba (11-03-2013)

1. Who's "reaching" to "defame" Phillips? He's a great Redleg. One of my favorites. But he needs to grow up and he needs to shut up.

2. As far as speculating how the rest of the team felt about the "incident", Daugherty reported:

"But he (BP) has teammates, lots of them, who don’t appreciate his style. Who, in fact, sided with the reporter in the dustup. Think about that. Players siding with a member of the heathen media, over one of their own.' "
    10/22/13
    Without taking a position as to what they actually think about it, I should point out that its far more likely that Daugherty speculated that rather than report it. He may not be wrong, but I don't think he actually asked any Reds players their feelings on it.

IOW take what he says others say/think with a grain of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (11-05-2013)

I've never been able to read or listen to Doc so I honestly have no idea what he's been saying. C Trent and Fay are OK in my book. I don't think they're especially good beat writers, but they don't annoy me like Doc does.

I'm not going to defend what Phillips said to C Trent, it should have never happened, but that there was an altercation isn't surprising at all. It's obvious there were several players who didn't care for the local media coverage.

That said, I have no idea why fans would care if players and our media get along. A cancerous player in the clubhouse or someone who is rude to fans? Yeah, I care about that stuff.

16. Likes:

Big Klu (11-03-2013),Old school 1983 (11-03-2013)

10/22/13
    So, if I go with along with your theory, the teammates were so torn up over what was said to CTrent, their soul was so crushed, that they tanked to end the season.

Sure, I could see teammates not agreeing with how Phillips handled the situation. I don't think anyone would agree that he handled that properly. But to think that it was so bothersome to the team that it lead to their downfall?

The Reds had to know what Brandon was like when they gave him that extension. It's not like it suddenly became a problem when he had a down year.

19. Likes:

joshua (11-03-2013),REDREAD (11-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The Reds had to know what Brandon was like when they gave him that extension. It's not like it suddenly became a problem when he had a down year.
    Yeah, but it sure is easier to blame him for everything after a down year

21. Likes:

Big Klu (11-03-2013),TSJ55 (11-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Yeah, but it sure is easier to blame him for everything after a down year
    What did BP mean when he said that his teammates said didn't have swag?
    I'm not blaming BP for anything, However I did point out some facts.
    I'm not for or against trading him, I would trade anyone on the team for the right return, Some are saying win at any cost ,that's not me.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    What did BP mean when he said that his teammates said didn't have swag?
    I'm not blaming BP for anything, However I did point out some facts.
    I'm not for or against trading him, I would trade anyone on the team for the right return, Some are saying win at any cost ,that's not me.
    I just think it's absurd to suggest that one player's behavior (which has not changed in 8 years) was the cause of a team's "collapse", or that a player berating a sports writer was the cause of said "collapse". If the rest of the Reds are that mentally fragile, then maybe it's not Phillips that needs to be sent out of town.

24. Likes:

dubc47834 (11-04-2013),joshua (11-03-2013),REDREAD (11-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I just think it's absurd to suggest that one player's behavior (which has not changed in 8 years) was the cause of a team's "collapse", or that a player berating a sports writer was the cause of said "collapse". If the rest of the Reds are that mentally fragile, then maybe it's not Phillips that needs to be sent out of town.
    Nobody's saying that. You're setting up a straw man. BP's conduct was unprofessional and may have been a sign of larger problems.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 11-03-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Without taking a position as to what they actually think about it, I should point out that its far more likely that Daugherty speculated that rather than report it. He may not be wrong, but I don't think he actually asked any Reds players their feelings on it.

IOW take what he says others say/think with a grain of salt.
    He's a reporter and he made a statement in print. You're saying the statement wasn't true, but you have no evidence to support your feeling. What's
    'likely" has nothing to do with it.

Turn Off Ads?