Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In DEFENSE of Brandon Phillips

Re: In DEFENSE of Brandon Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I know for a fact he was out of minor league options and wasn't producing at the MLB level.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...ars-later.html
    I should have worded that a little different, What that I was asking was do you know for a fact that, That was the reason he was traded? Because at the time it was reported that he had a bad attitude ,to put it mildly, Could that be why that Wedge didn't wont him around?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If Phillips is traded because he bad mouthed the owner, we've got much bigger problems than Phillips' talent level.
    If he is traded I hope that it is to better the team be it monetary or what ever.
    In my opinion it is not good to bad mouth a man that is overpaying for ones services. If my boss is overpaying me I would keep my mouth shut. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    I should have worded that a little different, What that I was asking was do you know for a fact that, That was the reason he was traded? Because at the time it was reported that he had a bad attitude ,to put it mildly, Could that be why that Wedge didn't wont him around?
    I don't but you don't know for a fact that he had a bad attitude and Wedge didn't want him around. It's not really fair to say "you can't disprove my theory beyond a reasonable doubt, so it must be true".

The way I look at it is if he was productive and had a bad attitude, he doesn't get traded. That's why I lean more toward production being the issue. Also, if he had options left, they would probably send him down hoping he would mature rather than dumping him.

Maybe I'm using poor logic, but that's my thought process.

Here is the thing about your A

C Trent said this is not the 1st time BP snapped at him, and that this time that was caught on tape was tame compared to the other times

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Here is the thing about your A

C Trent said this is not the 1st time BP snapped at him, and that this time that was caught on tape was tame compared to the other times
    Yep. Phillips' only crime in this incident was being dumb enough to do it in front of cameras. Stuff like that happens everyday on every MLB clubhouse. Many players hold resentment against media members because they criticize them without ever having played the game at a high level, if at all. They argue over what was written all the time.

If Cast is trading Phillips because of this incident, he clearly doesn't understand the clubhouse dynamic that exists throughout MLB.
    "I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    óBill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If Phillips is traded because he bad mouthed the owner, we've got much bigger problems than Phillips' talent level.
    He is going to be traded because he hit .261 with a .310 OBP while making 10M

He is going to be traded because He is still owed 50M over the next 4 years
    He is going to be traded because after he reached his only goal of the season (100 RBI) he completely shut down

Well at lease he was truthful he did not care about anything but his 100RBI
    He hit .211 after he got his

And YES he is going to be traded because he badmouthed the owner
    And YES he is going to be traded because bullied a beat writer

If he was putting up better numbers or was a lot cheaper you would be more likely to put up with his antics. He wore out his welcome in Cleveland and now he has done the same thing here

8. Likes:

CoachBombay (11-04-2013), Ironman92 (11-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Yep. Phillips' only crime in this incident was being dumb enough to do it in front of cameras. Stuff like that happens everyday on every MLB clubhouse. Many players hold resentment against media members because they criticize them without ever having played the game at a high level, if at all. They argue over what was written all the time.

If Cast is trading Phillips because of this incident, he clearly doesn't understand the clubhouse dynamic that exists throughout MLB.
    IF BP is being traded for one incident I would think that it would be the article in print, But if he is traded it would be for an accumulation of things.
    Attitude
    badmouthing the boss
    dwindling skills
    diva
    MONEY (my pick)

10. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (11-04-2013), LoganBuck (11-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

I am sure that at this point the Reds FO knows what is going on in the clubhouse.

I am still amazed that we had a 30 out of 110 people on this board that sided with Brandon Phillips in a poll we did after the incident.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I am still amazed that we had a 30 out of 110 people on this board that sided with Brandon Phillips in a poll we did after the incident.
    You think that number's low or high?

I'm amazed that 30 people here apparently don't think interpersonal relationships are an important facet of building a championship team. If the team's owner was fair game for irrational, ad hominem criticism in the media, who else besides C. Trent was fair game for it in the clubhouse?
    /r/reds

I don't think trading BP would be a bad thing, but this has nothing to do with any off-field incidents. He costs a lot of money and showed signs that he is aging, something that particularly affects players with his skill set. Phillips is coming off a season in which he knocked in 100 runs and won a Gold Glove, so this may be the Reds' last best chance to trade him and improve the team.

It's more about timing than anything.
    No Victims, by me

The rest is drama.

What begins at the water shall end there, and what ends there shall once more begin. --Straka

14. Likes:

Hubba (11-02-2013), mth123 (11-02-2013), RedlegJake (11-02-2013), UC_Ken (11-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I don't think trading BP would be a bad thing, but this has nothing to do with any off-field incidents. He costs a lot of money and showed signs that he is aging, something that particularly affects players with his skill set. Phillips is coming off a season in which he knocked in 100 runs and won a Gold Glove, so this may be the Reds' last best chance to trade him and improve the team.

It's more about timing than anything.
    And after this year he's 10 and 5. It's now or never. I vote now.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I can't believe that anyone is still defending BP or criticising Trent over this nonsence. Its now very clear that there was a problem in the Red's clubhouse, that BP was a big part of that problem, that Dusty did nothing to solve that problem ( "because he wants to be so liked by everybody.” Mike Leake), and that the CTrent incident was the straw that broke the camel's back- Team totally tanked thereafter.

Time for some of these guys to put their big boy pants on and grow up.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 11-02-2013 at 06:12 PM.

17. Likes:

CoachBombay (11-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    If he is traded I hope that it is to better the team be it monetary or what ever.
    In my opinion it is not good to bad mouth a man that is overpaying for ones services. If my boss is overpaying me I would keep my mouth shut. But that's just me.
    I think this is a pretty reasonable position to take in sports or in ditch digging. Can't think of too many athletes who have publicly bad mouthed their owner and were still around much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I can't believe that anyone is still defending BP or criticising Trent over this nonsence. Its now very clear that there was a problem in the Red's clubhouse, that BP was a big part of that problem, that Dusty did nothing to solve that problem
    ( "because he wants to be so liked by everybody.Ē Mike Leake), and that the CTrent incident was the straw that broke the camel's back- Team totally tanked thereafter.

Reds went 15-8 after that incident, including taking 3 out of 4 from the Cardinals. If anything, that incident lit a fire under the team.
    "I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    óBill Cosby

20. Likes:

bengalsown (11-02-2013), REDREAD (11-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I can't believe that anyone is still defending BP or criticising Trent over this nonsence. Its now very clear that there was a problem in the Red's clubhouse, that BP was a big part of that problem, that Dusty did nothing to solve that problem
    ( "because he wants to be so liked by everybody.Ē Mike Leake), and that the CTrent incident was the straw that broke the camel's back- Team totally tanked thereafter.

They went 15-13 after the incident

Turn Off Ads?