Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What you would do in 3-5 moves

Re: What you would do in 3-5 moves

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    The way I look at things is not to try and find the "holes" and fill them. Just because a position isn't a "hole" doesn't mean it can't be improved.

If Choo can't be re-signed for a reasonable wage, I'd like to see a CF platoon of DeJesus and Rajai Davis.

Sign Pierzynski or Navarro to platoon with Mesoraco

I'd also look to sign at least 2 down in the dumps pitchers to minor league deals in hopes of getting a steal on the bounce back
    Improve where you can. Choo is a step up from our outfielders with maybe the exception of Bruce. Idk if I've said it in this thread but my basic offseason idea would be to assume choo will not be back and improve the team whether he is there or not so if you can't sign him no harm but if you do, then you're even better.

I agree with you scrap heap starter idea. There seems to be a few on the market and a large amount of closers. If the reds choose to deal a pitcher, it looks like depth may be easier to come by than usual.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lots of possibilities and I tend to think dealing Phillips should be on the to do list, but this plan keeps him, strengthens a number of positions, adds some young and cheap guys while taking a step back at CF/Lead-off without busting the budget.

1. Aroldis Chapman, Sean Marshall and Chris Heisey to Detroit for Nick Castellanos, Bruce Rondon and Eugenio Suarez
    2. Sign Free Agents Manny Parra, David Dejesus, Eric Chavez and AJ Pierziynski
    3. Ryan Ludwick, Ryan Hanigan and Logan Ondrusek to Philly for Antonio Bastardo and Cesar Hernandez
    4. Jack Hannahan and Neftali Soto to Miami for Grant Dayton

Dejesus/Robinson CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Frazier/Chavez 3B
    Castellanos/Paul LF
    Mesoraco/Pierzynski C
    Cozart SS

Hernandez IF

Latos
    Bailey
    Cueto
    Cingrani
    Leake

Simon RHR
    Lecure RHR
    Rondon RHR
    Broxton RHR

Parra LHR
    Bastardo LHR

Hoover Cl

AAA/AA Depth

Pitching
    Stephenson RH
    Contreras RH
    Rogers RH
    Crabbe RH
    Corcino RH
    Hayes RH
    Dayton LH

Positions
    Lutz OF/1B
    Barnhart C
    Suarez IF
    H-Rod IF
    Hamilton OF
    Y-Rod OF

If Hamilton Arrives, Robinson goes down and Dejesus splits time in CF and LF with Paul to the bench.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Lots of possibilities and I tend to think dealing Phillips should be on the to do list, but this plan keeps him, strengthens a number of positions, adds some young and cheap guys while taking a step back at CF/Lead-off without busting the budget.

1. Aroldis Chapman, Sean Marshall and Chris Heisey to Detroit for Nick Castellanos, Bruce Rondon and Eugenio Suarez
    2. Sign Free Agents Manny Parra, David Dejesus, Eric Chavez and AJ Pierziynski
    3. Ryan Ludwick, Ryan Hanigan and Logan Ondrusek to Philly for Antonio Bastardo and Cesar Hernandez
    4. Jack Hannahan and Neftali Soto to Miami for Grant Dayton

Dejesus/Robinson CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Frazier/Chavez 3B
    Castellanos/Paul LF
    Mesoraco/Pierzynski C
    Cozart SS

Hernandez IF

Latos
    Bailey
    Cueto
    Cingrani
    Leake

Simon RHR
    Lecure RHR
    Rondon RHR
    Broxton RHR

Parra LHR
    Bastardo LHR

Hoover Cl

AAA/AA Depth

Pitching
    Stephenson RH
    Contreras RH
    Rogers RH
    Crabbe RH
    Corcino RH
    Hayes RH
    Dayton LH

Positions
    Lutz OF/1B
    Barnhart C
    Suarez IF
    H-Rod IF
    Hamilton OF
    Y-Rod OF

If Hamilton Arrives, Robinson goes down and Dejesus splits time in CF and LF with Paul to the bench.
    I dont know how I feel about any of those. That doesnt really make the team any better. Actually I feel it makes them a little weaker

These trades that include Ludwick are laughable. Ludwick is to make $12 million in 2014. Who would possible take that on?

6. Likes:

CoachBombay (11-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Staffer View Post
    These trades that include Ludwick are laughable. Ludwick is to make $12 million in 2014. Who would possible take that on?
    A team looking for a RH bat that doesn't want to sign a free agent for 3 or 4 years at $40 to $50 Million or give up a pick for some one like Nelson Cruz. Give up a spare part or two, take on a one year deal while kids get ready and free yourself from bigger obligations.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    A team looking for a RH bat that doesn't want to sign a free agent for 3 or 4 years at $40 to $50 Million or give up a pick for some one like Nelson Cruz. Give up a spare part or two, take on a one year deal while kids get ready and free yourself from bigger obligations.
    Seems to me that's what the reds need to do in regards to Ervin winker and YRod. IMO one of those three will have a breakout year and end up in triple A by seasons end if not knocking on door to the bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Staffer View Post
    He's scheduled to make $8.5M in '14 and $9M in '15, with a $4.5M buyout. If he's a 2-win player you could trade him for a bag of balls. Of course he's not a 2-win player because his defense is awful, but if you could find an AL team looking for a DH you might be able to dump him. I agree it's a long shot, though.

Mariners get:

Homer Bailey RHP
    Neftali Soto 1B

Reds get:

Nick Franklin 2b/ss
    Victor Sanchez RHP
    Carson Smith RHP

Blue Jays get:

Brandon Phillips 2B
    Ryan Lamarre OF

Reds get:

Jose Bautista OF

Sign Josh Johnson

Getting Bautista is a pipe dream, but he would look awful nice in left.

Turn Off Ads?