Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas gift recommendations 2013

Christmas gift recommendations 2013

Okay, So I realize this definitely qualifies as a #firstworldproblem that everyone would love to have.

My wife's family is AWESOME about Christmas gifts. I mean, like Christmas at their house takes hours because they give the kids so many presents and it's all a bit overwhelming.

Not only that, but my mother in law asks for lists of stuff we want, so it's not just hours of weird stuff that we'll put away and never use.

So here's the problem. I don't really need anything. At least anything that could qualify as something I could ask for.

I can(and will) ask for donations to charities that are important to me.
    I can (and will) ask for gift cards.

But really, I want to have a few tangible items on the list because ultimately I know I'm going to get those items, and it's actually less stress on the family if I can actually come up with stuff I like.

So tell me Redszone nation, what do I need but not know it yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Christmas gift recommendations 2013

Well, I just got a most unconventional gift for my wife's December birthday (still working on Christmas).

DNA Exploratory test. www.23andme.com
    She had mentioned that she was curious about this. 99 bucks.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

What kind of things are you into? That would help push better ideas out there that would be more relevant to you.

They call me "chef"

The Wes Anderson Collection is a nice little coffee table book with lots of articles and interviews.

Maybe they can buy you those 2014 Reds World Series tickets.

Cash, or Real Estate.

Oh wait that's for Lucy Van Pelt.

Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Cash, or Real Estate.

Oh wait that's for Lucy Van Pelt.

Sally wanted cash. Preferably 10's and 20's.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8. Likes:

moewan (11-05-2013)

My inlaws give me a check which is very nice of them.

But if someone wants to give a gift tools are always appreciated. I generally ask for some sort of workout clothes or a particular type of golf shirt I like. If you need a new pair of shoes you could wait and ask for them. Although I would be specific.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What kind of things are you into? That would help push better ideas out there that would be more relevant to you.
    Thanks Doug,
    although I specifically stated this as my issue, my idea was more geared around a lot of discussion on good ideas rather than specific to me.

Obviously without knowing me and what I have, it's impossible to know what I would need.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Since you don't want it specifically about you, I'll throw out a handful of ideas. Cost is always an issue, some families might spend $300+ on a family member, others scrap together to spend $20 on somebody, so its all relavant:

Watch. I know not everyone wears one, but for those that do, its the one thing I wouldn't fork out extra cash for just to have a "different" watch, but I recognize not all watches are for all occasions. Do you have an all purpose steel watch, perhaps gold watch or a leather band watch would fit an outfit a little better, or vice versa. Or perhaps you need an "athletic" watch that is more plasticky, but fits w/ a pair of athletic shorts and T-shirt better than that leather band watch you've been wearing. Have a black face, perhaps you need a blue face..... Nobody really needs more than 1 watch (the argument could be made that noone really needs a watch these days, but that was made in a seperate thread), but different attire can be meet w/ different watches, a good gift for the person who doesn't really need anything. Watches can be expensive, but I get a ton of use out of the $20ish watch my wife bought me that is water proof and I can wear when I take the kids up to the pool. You can fit a bunch of differnt watches into a bunch of different budget levels.

Do you grill out? Grilling tools wear out, grille brushes, tongs, etc.. all need replaced over time. You can get them themed to something they like, or keep them simple. My brother in law once gave me a handful of rubs from The Dizzy Pig as well as a handful of their different spices in sample size. That same christmas, we got a set of rubs from Williams-Sonoma from my sister. I think it was nearly 2 years ago, we still use those rubs today on various meats, poultry & fish. Again, there are multiple items that would serve the griller out there to meet multiple budgets.

How about a 1 year subscription to netflix? I don't know if that can be setup that way, or if you'd have to create an account and they'd prepay the first year (or 6 months or whatever) but that would be something to consider.

A magazine subscription. They can often be a hassle, but everyone needs something to read in the "library" and they make one to serve everyone's varying interests.

How has no one yet sugggested the obvious: hookers and blow

13. Likes:

919191 (11-04-2013),BillDoran (11-04-2013),Caveat Emperor (11-18-2013),Hoosier Red (11-16-2013),JayBruceFan (12-11-2013),jwertz (11-05-2013),kbrake (12-17-2013),LoganBuck (11-04-2013),moewan (11-05-2013),Rojo (11-08-2013),Roy Tucker (11-18-2013),wolfboy (11-17-2013),Wonderful Monds (11-09-2013)

I asked for and received a 1.75 L bottle of Jim Beam for Christmas last year. My 4 year old nephew got a plastic truck, and thought I had gotten the short end of the stick.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

15. Likes:

CoachBombay (11-05-2013),foxfire123 (11-06-2013),KittyDuran (11-08-2013)

A few ideas:

Beer
    Kate Upton
    Breakfast Cereal
    A freezer full of various meats
    Ernest Scared Stupid DVD
    A relaxing massage
    Tiger Woods' "Little Black Book"
    Nachos
    Cheese (for the nachos)
    Dance lessons
    A puppy

Honestly, I would just ask for Reds tickets.

17. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (11-09-2013)

A subscription to SiriusXM or the 2014 MLB Extra Innings package.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Booze and socks.

An Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" (down to $139) with a 1 year subscription to Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Turn Off Ads?