Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds High A Team Location in 2015? Any chance for change

Reds High A Team Location in 2015? Any chance for change

The question of whether the Reds can escape Bakersfield in 2015 came up in the Howard thread. Thought I'd move it to it's own thread. Player development contracts expire after even years. Reds have deals in place until 2016 for all teams except High A.

Bakersfield's stadium does not meet minor league standards, and a new one was killed, but no one is forcing a change. Therefore I expect Bakersfield to field a team in 2015. The Reds can't negotiate with other franchises until after the season which means many teams and franchises will come to an agreement before the Reds even get a chance to make a case.

The following franchises currently expire in 2014

Florida State League
    Brevard County - Milwaukee
    Pt. Charlotte - Tampa Bay
    Daytona - Cubs
    Ft Myers - Twins

Carolina League
    Carolina - Indians
    Frederick - Baltimore
    Lynchburg - Atlanta
    Myrtle Beach - Texas
    Potomac - Nationals
    Wilmington DE - Kansas City

California League
    Bakersfield - Reds
    High Desert - Seattle
    Lake Elsinore - San Diego
    Lancaster - Houston
    Modesto - Colorado
    Rancho Cucamango - Dodgers
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Likes:

757690 (07-09-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds High A Team Location in 2015? Any chance for change

Right off the bat I think the chances of Pt Charlotte or Ft Myers changing are slim. Basically they are playing at their Spring Training home.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I'm rooting for Potomac. For selfish reasons, of course. (Plus the Reds did have a team there briefly in the early 2000s)
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Not that it changes much but the owner of Brevard County is considering moving the team to Orlando area and sharing a stadium with Rollins College. That might make it a more desirable location for a team.

[QUOTE=JaxRed;3130887]Not that it changes much but the owner of Brevard County is considering moving the team to Orlando area and sharing a stadium with Rollins College. That might make it a more desirable location for a team.[/QUOTE

Offer them a deal where you do a partial stadium revamp...

The other place here is Savannah Ga. the owner of the Sandnats is looking to move his team to Columbia S.C.. The mayor wants to build a new stadium downtown modeled after the Dragons, cost anywhere between 50 to 75 million.

Would be an awesome opportunity.

[QUOTE=bellhead;3130903]
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Not that it changes much but the owner of Brevard County is considering moving the team to Orlando area and sharing a stadium with Rollins College. That might make it a more desirable location for a team.[/QUOTE

Offer them a deal where you do a partial stadium revamp...

The other place here is Savannah Ga. the owner of the Sandnats is looking to move his team to Columbia S.C.. The mayor wants to build a new stadium downtown modeled after the Dragons, cost anywhere between 50 to 75 million.

Would be an awesome opportunity.
    The Sand Gnats are not High A however. Even if they move..... unless some crazy franchise swap happened like when Pensacola happened.

I'm a Carolina League fan, not so hitting crazy as Texas and not so pitching crazy as Florida. I'd love to see the Reds hook up with Wilmington or Carolina, though Cleveland has had that Carolina affiliation since 1987. Myrtle Beach would be cool as well, though, IIRC, it's a notorious pitchers park ... but Kenny Powers.
    Last edited by M2; 07-09-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

[QUOTE=JaxRed;3130915]
    Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post

The Sand Gnats are not High A however. Even if they move..... unless some crazy franchise swap happened like when Pensacola happened.
    The owner is going to move them to Columbia S.C. even if the city builds a new stadium, they are building one there also. This is the last I heard, the city council wants to build a stadium in the downtown that would anchor a revival west of the historic part. If the stadium happens this would be perfect for the Reds, but they would need to buy a franchise and then move it there.

Texas seems like a weird match for Myrtle Beach. Putting a Reds' affiliate there would at least draw the WV fans, since most of the state migrates down there in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I'm rooting for Potomac. For selfish reasons, of course. (Plus the Reds did have a team there briefly in the early 2000s)
    I'd love to see this too but I can't imagine the Nats letting Potomac get away. We only had the franchise one year IIRC just before the Nats were formed.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Texas seems like a weird match for Myrtle Beach. Putting a Reds' affiliate there would at least draw the WV fans, since most of the state migrates down there in the summer.
    Atlanta had Myrtle Beach for years. Then the gys associated with Myrtle took over the Rangers, so that's why they went with Rangers. I believe the were part of the group that got ousted from the Rangers power struggle so they very might well leave the Rangers. But they might want the Braves back.

Here is a news article about the Sandnats in Savannah wanting to jump ship to Columbia S.C.

http://www.gpb.org/news/2014/01/02/p...seball-stadium..

Might be an opening and a chance to move a crappy team to Savannah!!

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Here is a news article about the Sandnats in Savannah wanting to jump ship to Columbia S.C.

http://www.gpb.org/news/2014/01/02/p...seball-stadium..

Might be an opening and a chance to move a crappy team to Savannah!!
    If you want to move a team from the California League to another league, you need to move two teams from the California League. That is what makes the whole issue even bigger for getting the Bakersfield franchise out of there. Minor League Baseball badly wants to rid itself of the franchise now that a new stadium isn't happening. But they can't move them to another league without another team also jumping ship and they can't find a team to do that. They also can't find a way to get Bakersfield a new stadium. It's a big mess.

Did we draw a short straw to land our guys in Bakersfield in the first place?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Did we draw a short straw to land our guys in Bakersfield in the first place?
    Basically we had a poor track record and teams didn't want a losing squad to come in, so we were the last team standing along with the Bakersfield franchise.

The Dayton squad has been solid so far this year, they are above .500, so maybe we can get something from that this time around.

Turn Off Ads?