Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official 2013 Rule V discussion Thread

Re: Official 2013 Rule V discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    It looks like the Reds have a spot open on the 40 man roster. This could allow the Reds to participate in the Rule V draft.
    They haven't officially added Parra yet. Once he's on, they are at 40.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Where the Reds pick I don't see much upside in grabbing a Rule 5 guy. Giving a 25 man spot to a guy that isn't ready or that is a marginal contributor? Unless they think there is a Johan Santana lurking there, I'd just as soon not pick.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Where the Reds pick I don't see much upside in grabbing a Rule 5 guy. Giving a 25 man spot to a guy that isn't ready or that is a marginal contributor? Unless they think there is a Johan Santana lurking there, I'd just as soon not pick.
    If you can find a young Juan Castro out there, that wouldn't be a horrible pick. It's not like our backup SS is going to give us any offense anyhow.
    Castro was a good defender when young, then he kind of lived off his reputation when he got older.

I guess the dream is someone that could play ML SS defense right now and have at least a prayer of OBP around 290 or more. Not sure if there's anyone like that available (especially someone like that with future upside)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

It appears the Cubs will cede their top pick in the upcoming Rule 5 Draft to resolve a dispute involving former Rule 5 pick Lendy Castillo, Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports. The Cubs picked Castillo from the Phillies in 2011, and Castillo missed 91 days of the following season due to injury, then spent the entire 2013 season in the minors. In case of injury, players selected in the Rule 5 Draft must stick on their new teams' active rosters for at least 90 days. The Phillies will receive the Cubs' pick after they filed a grievance regarding Castillo. The Cubs don't plan to select a player this year anyway. The Rule 5 Draft will be held next Thursday.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...ames-to-watch/

Mike Freeman, 2b/util, Diamondbacks: Freeman hit just .247 this year, and the 26-year-old doesn’t have the pop to be an everyday player for a championship-caliber team. He does fit the utility profile well, however. He bats lefthanded; he draws walks (65 with Double-A Mobile this season); he can fill in at shortstop in a pinch and played second base (his best fit), third base and left field in the Arizona Fall League. He also has a quick first-step that helps maximize his fringe-average speed, both in the field and on the bases, where he’s an efficient basestealer. In short, in an era of 12- and 13-man pitching staffs, Freeman could be a valuable Swiss Army knife on the bench.

Marco Hernandez, ss, Cubs: Hernandez is a long ways away from being ready to actually help a big league club, but the switch-hitting shortstop has a lot of the attributes teams look for in a potential Rule 5 pick. He has defensive value because he can handle shortstop with range and a plus arm, he’s a tick-above average runner and he has some hitting potential with a solid swing from both sides of the plate. Like many Class A shortstops, he’s not sure-handed yet, so errors would be a problem whenever he played.

The bigger question a potential selecting team would have to ask is would they be ruining Hernandez’s long-term potential by picking him and then letting him rot on a big league bench. The year off would hurt him significantly as he needs plenty of minor league at-bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    The bigger question a potential selecting team would have to ask is would they be ruining Hernandez’s long-term potential by picking him and then letting him rot on a big league bench. The year off would hurt him significantly as he needs plenty of minor league at-bats.
    This is why I don;t like the Rule 5 much for a team in the Reds position. There is no doubt a good player can be nabbed cheap but at the expense of a roster spot and losing a year of development. For a team rebuilding it makes terrific sense, or if you are picking early. For competition sake I think the Reds are better served looking at more established guys to fill roles or their own prospects. Of course, if your 25th spot is going to be Cesar Izturis anyway, the point is wasted.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    This is why I don;t like the Rule 5 much for a team in the Reds position. There is no doubt a good player can be nabbed cheap but at the expense of a roster spot and losing a year of development. For a team rebuilding it makes terrific sense, or if you are picking early. For competition sake I think the Reds are better served looking at more established guys to fill roles or their own prospects. Of course, if your 25th spot is going to be Cesar Izturis anyway, the point is wasted.
    As is, the Reds don't have 13 major league quality position players on the roster.
    If the last guy is a glove to play the MI, Rule 5 would fill that on the cheap just fine. If it adds the bonus of being a young player who may develop into more, I say it beats a retread who is going to cost a couple million, never be anything more than a MI glove and fades from memory after a season.

Hopefully the Reds make a bigger move or two that adds starting caliber players and pushes others to the bench and fills the roster with major league caliber players. But even at that, unless a SS is acquired (unlikely) Zach Cozart is still the only guy on the 40 Man roster who can play SS.

I wouldn't rule out rule 5 as an option just for the sake of keeping Nick Christiani on the roster. I'm hoping the Reds can deal a few of their lesser prospects who are taking up a spot for one guy who can improve the team and the roster while opening a spot to add Parra and allow Rule 5 as a possibility should an interesting name be there.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-06-2013)

Marco Hernandez had a .625 OPS last year in the Midwest League, Low A. I don' t think there's a lot of possibility anyone is going to spend a 25 man roster spot on him.

Matt Lollis, rhp, Padres: Though he has only one major league-caliber pitch, Lollis makes it count with a double-plus fastball he pumps up to 98 mph from a low three-quarters slot. The 6-foot-9, 250-pound behemoth pitched out of the bullpen exclusively in 2013, but that didn’t seem to help his secondary stuff (slider, changeup) play up, nor did it add to his deception. Both lefties (.888 OPS) and righties (.763) hit him hard across three levels, including a combined 35 appearances at Double-A and Triple-A. Still, physical relievers who throw hard, like Lollis, traditionally serve as prime Rule 5 bait.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...ome-late-buzz/

ORLANDO—The Rule 5 draft is the finale of the Winter Meetings for many team officials. Bags are packed, and often brought to the convention hall where the draft is held. Teams select their players and then quickly hoof it to the airport.

So Thursday morning will be the traditional grab-and-go for many teams. The buzz about which players might be selected in the Rule 5 will intensify tonight, but several names that keep bouncing around the Disney Swan and Dolphin lobbies. Pirates righthanded reliever Zach Thornton’s combination of command and groundball tendency has drawn notice. Similarly, Mariners lefty reliever Brian Moran is frequently mentioned, even though he went unpicked as a Rule 5-eligible player in 2012.

Yet Cubs righthanded reliever Marcos Mateo is emerging as one of the most fascinating names because of what he’s doing in the Dominican League. Mateo, who has ranked among the Cubs’ Top 30 prospects three times, pitched reasonably well in the big leagues with Chicago in 2011 before missing all of 2012 and a significant part of 2013 recovering from an elbow injury.

Mateo, now 29, has been electric in the Dominican Republic, featuring a high-90s fastball and a filthy slider in the upper 80s. His results back up the stuff, as he’s 3-0, 0.98 for Estrellas de Oriente, with 22 strikeouts, seven walks and 11 hits in 19 innings. In his last six appearances, Mateo has struck out 12, walked none, allowed five hits and no runs in six innings over six appearances.

So Mateo’s name will be mentioned frequently as the Rule 5 approaches. After all the buildup, though, anyone witnessing the Rule 5 draft for the first time may be shocked at how quickly selections are made. From beginning to end, the process may take 10 minutes. But teams devote a lot of time and resources into preparing for the draft. The major league portion of the Rule 5 probably will end up with about 15 players taken. Historically, about five of those players may actually stick on their selecting club’s major league roster.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...ome-late-buzz/

Zach Thornton RHP Pirates
    Reliever with a funky delivery gets loads of groundballs and features excellent control.

Alex Sogard LHP Astros
    Hard-throwing lefty has two plus pitches with fastball and breaking ball, but little control.

Jake Buchanan RHP Astros
    Groundball machine throws strikes with an average assortment of pitches.

Jae-Hoon Ha OF Cubs
    Solid center fielder who draws walks and gets on base and could fit as a backup outfielder.

Adrian Nieto C Nationals
    Catcher has solid defensive tools, OK bat, but has yet to play above Class A

Carlos Perez C Astros
    Hard for a catcher to stick as a Rule 5 pick, but Perez could serve as a legitimate backup.

Marcos Mateo is a former Red low level prospect. Dealt for Rick Coats.

Possible guys the Reds could lose (just my opinion, haven't heard rumblings). Drew Hayes and Tim Crabbe might be guys that a team with thin pitching might stash in their pen. Teams looking for a back-up catcher might go for Max Ramirez. Just because a guy signs a minor league deal as a FA doesn't mean he wouldn't be taken.

Junior Arias has been suggested by some places on the web.

The Rule V draft has started. Its on Mlb.com. Nine players were drafted in the Major League Portion of the draft. I missed the names trying to find the list now. Seven of the players were pitchers. The AAA portion is starting now.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 12-12-2013 at 09:14 AM.

The Reds have 37 on the 38 man AAA roster so they are allowed to select a player,

Turn Off Ads?