Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why was Clay Kirby on the Reds 1975 postseason roster?

Re: Why was Clay Kirby on the Reds 1975 postseason roster?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Not available. Manny Mota had already pinch hit for him.
    Surely this cant be true.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Likes:

Hoosier Red (11-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Manny Mota never played for the Reds, so you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Manny Mota never played for the Reds, so you are correct.
    He did in Airplane.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

6. Likes:

Hoosier Red (11-04-2013), traderumor (11-04-2013)

He did in Airplane.
    That was the idea. I would have copied the video but I was not sure how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CahNAauFgys

when Baker got a hit off Kirby,, Kirby was really dealin' big time

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    That was the idea. I would have copied the video but I was not sure how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CahNAauFgys
    You missed the layup when I used the word "surely".

It is and don't call him Shirley.

There's the layup for you.

11. Likes:

George Anderson (11-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    True enough as far as Kirby's role in the regular season; while Kirby had been okay in 1974 he did not pitch well in 1975. However Bench insisted that Darcy was all the Reds had left in game six and that Sparky had told him that Kirby absolutely was not available. Kirby's unavailability could not have been because he was tired as he had not thrown a single pitch in either the NLCS or the World Series.
    Assuming Bench's memory is correct, it would seem to have made no sense to have Kirby on the post season roster.
    A couple of guesses(and completely uneducated ones at that)
    1) THe rules for the post season roster were possibly different back then. Its possible that they didn't know how hurt he was until the NLCS, and by then they couldn't remove him.

2) The culture of managers and players was much different then. Bench may have known that Kirby couldn't pitch, but it seems possible(likely even) that Anderson and Howsam didn't really know or believe the extent of Kirby's injuries.
    There are just like the stories of football coaches reacting to a dazed player by smacking them on the top of the helmet and telling them to get back in there, managers didn't really have much use for pitchers who let a minor thing like elbow soreness keep them from the mound.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

13. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (11-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    A couple of guesses(and completely uneducated ones at that)
    1) THe rules for the post season roster were possibly different back then. Its possible that they didn't know how hurt he was until the NLCS, and by then they couldn't remove him.

2) The culture of managers and players was much different then. Bench may have known that Kirby couldn't pitch, but it seems possible(likely even) that Anderson and Howsam didn't really know or believe the extent of Kirby's injuries.
    There are just like the stories of football coaches reacting to a dazed player by smacking them on the top of the helmet and telling them to get back in there, managers didn't really have much use for pitchers who let a minor thing like elbow soreness keep them from the mound.
    That was my generation. You never asked to come off the field or the floor. You might not ever get back. Playing through pain was the norm, even if it damaged you for life. Coaches had no use for guys that weren't "tough." It was a sad way to have to live. Played basketball, all year, my senior year of high school with both ankles taped before every practice and game. When the tape came off, they swelled up like balloons. Home to a bucket of ice every night, just to play. I sometimes felt like I wasn't going to be able to walk. Today, my ankles are so week that I can easily turn them when stepping on a pebble. My last season of football was played with a broken tailbone. Carried a pillow to school every day, just to be able to sit in a desk. Pitched through elbow pain my entire junior year, and never was the same. Cramergesic and a lot of aspirin and tylenol. Two broken pinkies that are frozen and do not bend anymore. Suck it up and put some tape on them. Sometimes, now, when it gets really cold, I really, really, hurt a lot. Was it worth it? I'm not sure.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Maybe they knew he was damaged goods but didnt want to show how his value was dropping (if they keep him off roster). So they keep him on with the thought they will never have to use him. Game 6 was wild. It's an incredible testament to that team thst they were able to come back and win that thing-especially when you look at the 7th game and see Gullet having trouble throwing strikes. For a while game 7 looked like it might get out of hand - some how they dug out of that mess and won- man they were good.

16. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (11-05-2013)

Focused, intense, and mentally tough.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?