Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 212

Thread: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,666

    Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Article

    Almost the ENTIRE Miami Dolphins team accused of bullying: Veteran stars 'made younger players subsidize their luxury lifestyle and fund $30,000 dinners and trips to Vegas'
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

    Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

  2. #2
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    The smoke signals I'm reading are this: some player (Incognito---oh the irony of the name for this story) has developed a self-serving gang, Martin refused to go along, they were relentless in their emotional and verbal abuse, he is sensitive and not used to such childish behavior, and couldn't take it anymore. The rest of the rookies have been convinced this is "normal," so they play along.

    Incognito Twitter translation: "Whatever they said, its not true."

    I think Incognito and his posse's favorite movie is likely "North Dallas Forty."
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  3. #3
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,466

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Reading rumors of rookies getting stuck with $30k team dinner bills, which is ridiculous. The rookie rate is like $400k, you take out agent/lawyer fees, taxes and a $30k night is probably 1/7 of their yearly take home.

    Interesting that Martin is Stanford educated and his parents are highly educated. Meanwhile, on that line, you have Incognito with a horrible reputation and Pouncey who ran with Aaron Hernandez.

    Jason Whitlock made the point that you used to be able to settle this sort of thing with fists, now you don't know if the other guy might have a gun - which sounds pretty accurate with Pouncey.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  4. Likes:

    RiverRat13 (11-04-2013)

  5. #4
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,030

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    As a Cleveland fan I can't stand the Steelers or Tomlin...but this blurb made me respect the man.

    “When I was in Pittsburgh,’’ Colon said, “Mike Tomlin said something great: It’s unfair to make a sixth-round guy pay for a $15,000 trip to Vegas when you have your starting linemen making over two-point-something million [dollars]. [Martin was a second-round pick.] He doesn’t have that money. Guys don’t earn that money until later in their careers. To make a young guy pay that is very unfair, and it’s selfish because that man has a family and people and other needs. So to take $15,000 out of any young guy’s pocket for a trip to get crazy is unfair, and it’s selfish. If you want to let a guy pay for dinner or a night on the town, that’s fine. It’s nothing that should hurt a man’s life or his way of living; that’s disrespectful.’’
    http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/04/gary-k...quarterback/7/

  6. Likes:

    marcshoe (11-04-2013), RedsBaron (11-07-2013), RiverRat13 (11-04-2013), Slyder (11-08-2013), The Operator (11-05-2013)

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,085

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Martin sounds like kind of a wuss.

  8. #6
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,914

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Martin sounds like kind of a wuss.
    Cool Richie's Dad posts on Redszone too!

  9. Likes:

    traderumor (11-05-2013), VottoFan54 (11-04-2013)

  10. #7
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,692

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Cool Richie's Dad posts on Redszone too!
    I think Cool Richie got killed on Boardwalk Empire last night.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  11. Likes:

    Patrick Bateman (11-04-2013)

  12. #8
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,433

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    I haven't heard all the details about this but it sure sounds like a whole lot more than having to pay 15K for a trip to Vegas.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  13. #9
    Member chicoruiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,718

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Martin sounds like kind of a wuss.
    Nope, in my book the wusses are the rookies who let the veterans take 15k out of their pocket without standing up and saying something about it...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

  14. Likes:

    HeatherC1212 (11-05-2013), Hypnotoad (11-04-2013), jimbo (11-04-2013), Larkin Fan (11-04-2013), marcshoe (11-04-2013), mth123 (11-07-2013), MWM (11-04-2013), RedsBaron (11-07-2013), RedTeamGo! (11-04-2013), The Operator (11-05-2013), VottoFan54 (11-04-2013), westofyou (11-04-2013)

  15. #10
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    If this all turns out to be true, the most interesting thing might be how Goodell decides to address it. It may be treated the same as the bounty scandal in New Orleans, but I could see him coming down hard on those involved.

    Forcing them to pay that kind of money for anything is ridiculous, and I don't care how much the rookie got at signing. Make them carry your equipment, or other such things. But taking money out of their pocket, regardless of how much it is, is just wrong.

    I have a feeling when we learn everything that happened, it's not going to be pretty.
    Last edited by MWM; 11-04-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  16. #11
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    If this all turns out to be true, the most interesting thing might be how Goodell decides to address it. It may be treated the same as the bounty scandal in New Orleans, but I could see him coming down hard on those involved.
    I have nothing personal against the Miami Dolphins, but I really think Goodell should come down hard on them and the players involved for this reason:

    Bullying is a real issue, not just in the NFL but in schools all across the country. Think of the high school or middle school kids who watch ESPN and are impressionable enough to think Richie Incognito is a role model and Jonathan Martin is a wuss. Even though we as adults see things differently, with children and teenagers it isn't as cut and dry. The NFL needs to send a message that shows a zero tolerance for bullying, similar to the Saints with the bounties. If not, you're sending a message to kids that bullying is ok and there are no consequences if you do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  17. Likes:

    HeatherC1212 (11-05-2013)

  18. #12
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,433

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I have nothing personal against the Miami Dolphins, but I really think Goodell should come down hard on them and the players involved for this reason:

    Bullying is a real issue, not just in the NFL but in schools all across the country. Think of the high school or middle school kids who watch ESPN and are impressionable enough to think Richie Incognito is a role model and Jonathan Martin is a wuss. Even though we as adults see things differently, with children and teenagers it isn't as cut and dry. The NFL needs to send a message that shows a zero tolerance for bullying, similar to the Saints with the bounties. If not, you're sending a message to kids that bullying is ok and there are no consequences if you do it.
    I'm a Dolphins fan and the whole thing makes me sick. However this is new ground for the NFL. They have to define what bullying is. If bullying is being made to contribute 15K to a trip to Vegas, then shouldn't being made to buy dinner for some vets the same thing? Is being told to carry practice dummies bullying? Sing the school song? Where do you draw the line? And when you do draw that line, what is acceptable punishment? Who do you punish? The player in question? The team? Is it a fine? Loss of draft choice(s)?

    It's tricky also because even though Martin came forward, will others? If they do, are they going to be ostracized by teammates and/or coaches? In Martin's case, it's doubtful he'll play for MIA again. Are other GMs going to take a chance on him? Will they be reluctant to sign him because they worry that if anyone looks sideways at Martin he's going to holler about bullying? I seriously doubt Incognito will play in the NFL again so the most you could do is fine him. What about the other players? Incognito is getting all the blame but you have to think he hasn't acted alone. This whole thing was reportedly set up because all the linemen left when Martin went to sit down with them. Maybe all that was Incognito's idea but the others didn't have to go along with it. I'm not saying Martin is to blame but why did he take this so long without standing up for himself? Was he worried about all the other linemen who followed Incognito? I know he didn't want to be a snitch but you have to stand up for yourself too.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  19. #13
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,258

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm a Dolphins fan and the whole thing makes me sick. However this is new ground for the NFL. They have to define what bullying is. If bullying is being made to contribute 15K to a trip to Vegas, then shouldn't being made to buy dinner for some vets the same thing? Is being told to carry practice dummies bullying? Sing the school song? Where do you draw the line? And when you do draw that line, what is acceptable punishment? Who do you punish? The player in question? The team? Is it a fine? Loss of draft choice(s)?

    It's tricky also because even though Martin came forward, will others? If they do, are they going to be ostracized by teammates and/or coaches? In Martin's case, it's doubtful he'll play for MIA again. Are other GMs going to take a chance on him? Will they be reluctant to sign him because they worry that if anyone looks sideways at Martin he's going to holler about bullying? I seriously doubt Incognito will play in the NFL again so the most you could do is fine him. What about the other players? Incognito is getting all the blame but you have to think he hasn't acted alone. This whole thing was reportedly set up because all the linemen left when Martin went to sit down with them. Maybe all that was Incognito's idea but the others didn't have to go along with it. I'm not saying Martin is to blame but why did he take this so long without standing up for himself? Was he worried about all the other linemen who followed Incognito? I know he didn't want to be a snitch but you have to stand up for yourself too.
    I think the reason Incognito is the only one suspended so far is that they had pretty clear evidence based on voicemail and texts that he was going well beyond what is considered playful messing with the rookies and harsh bullying. It's one thing to make rookies sing a fight song or wear a Hello Kitty backpack on a road trip. But making rookies pay for extravagant trips and dinners they didn't go to and then harrassing them by phone and text is something else. That seems less like an initiation into being part of the gang and more like the playground bully who takes your lunch money and threatens to beat you up if you don't bring more next time.

    So far we don't know who else might have been involved, so it would be premature for the Dolphins and the league to hand out more suspensions until they know more. It's important to make sure they determine the extent of the harrassment, who was involved and what was the extent of the involvement. In any case, I think the Dolphins are going to have to seriously examine the culture in the clubhouse and make some serious changes. I think the NFL is going to have to put guidelines in place to deal with future incidents. I doubt Incognito is suspended permanently because an arbitrator would likely overturn it. I think his suspension lasts until the investigation is completed, then the Dolphins decide whether to set a defined suspension or just cut him so that he can sign with a new team. It's going to be tougher for Martin. He will likely find it difficult to stay with the Dolphins, and it may take a team with strong veteran leadership willing to take him in under their wing. I get the feeling Incognito will be back on the field before Martin is.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  20. #14
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,717

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I get the feeling Incognito will be back on the field before Martin is.
    After reading those racially charged text messages, I bet there won't be many African American players in the game who'd be willing to have his back.

    He may get a job, but hopefully he'll have hell to pay for his behavior no matter where he goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  21. #15
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,466

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 11m

    NFL has heard Richie Incognito's VM to Jonathan Martin. Dolphins have heard the voice mail.

    Reply
    Retweet
    Favorite

    Expand
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 12m

    4. Incognito to Martin, all on same VM in April 2013: "(Expletive) you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

    Reply
    Retweet
    Favorite

    Expand
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 12m

    3. Incognito VM to Martin: "(I'm going to) slap your (expletive) mouth. (I'm going to) slap your real mother across the face (laughter).

    Reply
    Retweet
    Favorite

    Expand
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 13m

    2. More Incognito to Martin: "I saw you on Twitter, you been training ten weeks. (I want to) (expletive) in your (expl) mouth....

    Reply
    Retweet
    Favorite

    Expand
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 14m

    1: Richie Incognito left this VM for Jonathan Martin in April 2013: "Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of (expletive)...
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25