Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 212

Thread: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

  1. #136
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,037

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Am I saying that Martin shoulda kicked his ass, no, but he shoulda done something before it got this far.
    He did do something -- he left. If, instead of leaving, he'd beaten the crap out of Incognito, everyone would be talking about he should've just exited the situation.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  2. Likes:

    Fil3232 (11-08-2013), HeatherC1212 (11-08-2013), The Operator (11-08-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #137
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Not sure Incognito will continue to get people in his corner. The more we learn, the worse it looks for him. This is interesting:

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99...ngs-strip-club
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  5. #138
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    He did do something -- he left. If, instead of leaving, he'd beaten the crap out of Incognito, everyone would be talking about he should've just exited the situation.
    Ok...say this is your kid and they are getting bullied at school. You wajt them to just leave and not tell anyone what is hoing on?

  6. #139
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Ok...say this is your kid and they are getting bullied at school. You wajt them to just leave and not tell anyone what is hoing on?
    I have a son with Aspergers syndrome who has experienced bullying at school. The last thing I ever would want is for him to have a physical confrontation with anyone. I want him to come tell me about it, but it's really hard to do so because he fears the repercussions of "tattling". If the bully himself gets in trouble, then that could just make matters worse. It's an incredibly difficult thing to monitor and with my son I have to drag it out of him at times.

    In an NFL locker room, I would imagine the fear of repercussions would be worse because the likelihood that whoever you would go tell would think you're just weak and/or is perfectly fine with the treatment. If it was bad, I could totally see why a guy like Martin would not feel like going and telling coaches would be an option.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  7. #140
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,244

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I have a son with Aspergers syndrome who has experienced bullying at school. The last thing I ever would want is for him to have a physical confrontation with anyone. I want him to come tell me about it, but it's really hard to do so because he fears the repercussions of "tattling". If the bully himself gets in trouble, then that could just make matters worse. It's an incredibly difficult thing to monitor and with my son I have to drag it out of him at times.

    In an NFL locker room, I would imagine the fear of repercussions would be worse because the likelihood that whoever you would go tell would think you're just weak and/or is perfectly fine with the treatment. If it was bad, I could totally see why a guy like Martin would not feel like going and telling coaches would be an option.
    Who's Martin going to tell in house anyway? The player's leadership council? Incognito was on the leadership council. Philbin? He allegedly encouraged Incognito to get on Martin's case to toughen him up. The GM Ireland? Well Martin's agent allegedly went to Ireland and Ireland told him Martin needed to deal with it himself and punch Incognito in the face. Sounds to me like Martin was in a no win situation.

    More information is coming out about Incognito that indicate that he has had issues since 2002 with Nebraska. He's been booted off 2 college teams and 2 pro teams for behavioral problems and was even sent to anger management counseling. Based on some of the things being said about him by former teammates who knew him before he joined the Dolphins and opponents don't paint a pretty picture. When you add some of his antics outside of football to the equation, he sounds like a borderline sociopath. It seems the reason he was able to stick with the Dolphins was because he finally found the team willing to accept and encourage his bad behavior.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  8. #141
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,132

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Someone refresh my memory, didn't the GM get in trouble a few years back for asking some wildly out of line questions in a draft interview? Glad to see the team is 100% class all the way through.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  9. #142
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    The Dolphins do seem to be a mess of an organization right now. I hate seeing this because I'm a big fan of their owner.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  10. #143
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    I think Incognito is just not very smart. I don't mean that as an insult, but more a statement of what's probably true. I think he's severely lacking in natural intelligence.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  11. #144
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,459

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Someone refresh my memory, didn't the GM get in trouble a few years back for asking some wildly out of line questions in a draft interview? Glad to see the team is 100% class all the way through.
    Yeah, Jeff Ireland asked Dez Bryant if his mom was a prostitute. It's a clown organization.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  12. #145
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,244

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think Incognito is just not very smart. I don't mean that as an insult, but more a statement of what's probably true. I think he's severely lacking in natural intelligence.
    Actually, one former teammate compared him to Eddie Haskell from Leave It To Beaver. He can really put on the charm with authority figures and make it seem like he's a model player, but will then push the boundaries to see what he can get away with when he feels they aren't looking. A bad recipe if you have an organization willing to condone or at least turn a blind eye to his behavior.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  13. Likes:

    dubc47834 (11-09-2013)

  14. #146
    NL Central champs
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    472

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Yeah, Jeff Ireland asked Dez Bryant if his mom was a prostitute. It's a clown organization.
    The story goes that Ireland asked Bryant what his dad did for a living, Bryant responded that his dad was a pimp. Later on, Bryant said his mom works for his dad. Based off of these two comments, Ireland asked if Bryant's mom was a prostitute. That doesn't necessarily make the question appropriate, but I think context is pretty important in this situation.

  15. #147
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,873

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    He did do something -- he left. If, instead of leaving, he'd beaten the crap out of Incognito, everyone would be talking about he should've just exited the situation.
    Are you serious? Exiting the situation is what you do at a bar when some drunk is trying to pick a fight with you. You exit that situation because it's not worth it, not because you're a coward like Martin is. You don't exit your career because you're getting a little rookie hazing. And "beat the crap out of Incognito"? This isn't even a fighting situation...at least not as it stands. When people say Martin should have stood up for himself, they mean stand up verbally, which there's no indication he ever did. Grown men know how to draw their lines in the sand. If you're getting hazed, you put up with some of it but you also have your boundaries and you let people know what they are. People like Jonathon Martin are insufferable. And the worst thing is host of griefers like yourself that want to rush to his rescue. That's exactly how he became the grown child that he is.

    Of course liberals are jumping all over themselves to paint this as some kind of "bullying" issue, as if it has anything at all in common with what children do when they pick on other kids. That's a dominance/status thing carried out at a primitive level. Lower the other person to raise up yourself. This is more like hazing (and mild hazing at that) where the point is to break down the person's individual ego so you can then draw them into the team concept.

  16. #148
    NL Central champs
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    472

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    This isn't even a fighting situation...at least not as it stands. When people say Martin should have stood up for himself, they mean stand up verbally, which there's no indication he ever did. Grown men know how to draw their lines in the sand.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...unch-incognito

    Before Martin left the team on Oct. 28, Martin's agent, Rick Smith, called Ireland and let him know about the situation involving Incognito. Ireland's solution to the bullying problem? He told Smith that Martin should 'punch' Incognito, according to ProFootballTalk.com. If true, that means Ireland basically suggested that one player on his team should assault another player on his team.
    You say that this isn't a fighting situation, but apparently the Dolphins GM thinks otherwise. He tried to deal with the problem by explaining the situation to the GM, so he did stand up for himself verbally. The GM did nothing about it.

  17. #149
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,873

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I understand the military's a different animal, maybe firefighting and cops too. But have you ever been in a work environment where doing your job well wasn't enough, where you had to become part of a team and were expected to mesh into a social Borg? Where everyone has to be "on the same page"? It's a recipe for mediocrity.
    So you can grasp the difference between the military and the NFL, but you can't grasp the difference between the NFL and your standard office environment complete with cubicles? Sure, it's a sport and people aren't shooting at you, but show me a paper pusher who comes home with broken legs, bruises all over their body, concussions, etc. Football is a tough physical game, you have to be tough to succeed at it, and so the culture has to breed that in the players and that's what it does. There's nothing wrong with any of this, these guys get paid a lot of money to do what they do. If you can't hack it, then leave, but don't leave telling the NFL that's it's way is wrong because you were to weak for the game.

    And as far as your understanding of the team concept, yeah....it's supposed to be like the "borg", that's the point of a team. Many people acting as one. No individuals. That's exactly what leads to success (the borg dominated!). I'm not saying everybody should do the same thing everywhere....that's why there's 32 teams, each trying different ways of doing things to find what works best. But within that team? You need people to act as a unit.

  18. #150
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,873

    Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

    Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    You say that this isn't a fighting situation, but apparently the Dolphins GM thinks otherwise. He tried to deal with the problem by explaining the situation to the GM, so he did stand up for himself verbally. The GM did nothing about it.
    Of course he didn't do anything about it. He was probably pissed that he was being dragged into it by the drama queen. Saying to punch him is just bluster, although it's a way of giving him permission to punch him if it came to that. But mostly he's telling the tattle-tale to stand up for himself. Incognito never got physical, so I don't see any call for Martin to get physical. Of course you have to be ready to for it to get physical, but if he'd have stood up for himself I highly doubt it would have come to that because this isn't genuine hatred or anything, it's hazing.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25