Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Am I saying that Martin shoulda kicked his ass, no, but he shoulda done something before it got this far.
    He did do something -- he left. If, instead of leaving, he'd beaten the crap out of Incognito, everyone would be talking about he should've just exited the situation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not sure Incognito will continue to get people in his corner. The more we learn, the worse it looks for him. This is interesting:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99...ngs-strip-club
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    He did do something -- he left. If, instead of leaving, he'd beaten the crap out of Incognito, everyone would be talking about he should've just exited the situation.
    Ok...say this is your kid and they are getting bullied at school. You wajt them to just leave and not tell anyone what is hoing on?

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Ok...say this is your kid and they are getting bullied at school. You wajt them to just leave and not tell anyone what is hoing on?
    I have a son with Aspergers syndrome who has experienced bullying at school. The last thing I ever would want is for him to have a physical confrontation with anyone. I want him to come tell me about it, but it's really hard to do so because he fears the repercussions of "tattling". If the bully himself gets in trouble, then that could just make matters worse. It's an incredibly difficult thing to monitor and with my son I have to drag it out of him at times.

In an NFL locker room, I would imagine the fear of repercussions would be worse because the likelihood that whoever you would go tell would think you're just weak and/or is perfectly fine with the treatment. If it was bad, I could totally see why a guy like Martin would not feel like going and telling coaches would be an option.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I have a son with Aspergers syndrome who has experienced bullying at school. The last thing I ever would want is for him to have a physical confrontation with anyone. I want him to come tell me about it, but it's really hard to do so because he fears the repercussions of "tattling". If the bully himself gets in trouble, then that could just make matters worse. It's an incredibly difficult thing to monitor and with my son I have to drag it out of him at times.

In an NFL locker room, I would imagine the fear of repercussions would be worse because the likelihood that whoever you would go tell would think you're just weak and/or is perfectly fine with the treatment. If it was bad, I could totally see why a guy like Martin would not feel like going and telling coaches would be an option.
    Who's Martin going to tell in house anyway? The player's leadership council? Incognito was on the leadership council. Philbin? He allegedly encouraged Incognito to get on Martin's case to toughen him up. The GM Ireland? Well Martin's agent allegedly went to Ireland and Ireland told him Martin needed to deal with it himself and punch Incognito in the face. Sounds to me like Martin was in a no win situation.

More information is coming out about Incognito that indicate that he has had issues since 2002 with Nebraska. He's been booted off 2 college teams and 2 pro teams for behavioral problems and was even sent to anger management counseling. Based on some of the things being said about him by former teammates who knew him before he joined the Dolphins and opponents don't paint a pretty picture. When you add some of his antics outside of football to the equation, he sounds like a borderline sociopath. It seems the reason he was able to stick with the Dolphins was because he finally found the team willing to accept and encourage his bad behavior.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Someone refresh my memory, didn't the GM get in trouble a few years back for asking some wildly out of line questions in a draft interview? Glad to see the team is 100% class all the way through.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The Dolphins do seem to be a mess of an organization right now. I hate seeing this because I'm a big fan of their owner.

I think Incognito is just not very smart. I don't mean that as an insult, but more a statement of what's probably true. I think he's severely lacking in natural intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Someone refresh my memory, didn't the GM get in trouble a few years back for asking some wildly out of line questions in a draft interview? Glad to see the team is 100% class all the way through.
    Yeah, Jeff Ireland asked Dez Bryant if his mom was a prostitute. It's a clown organization.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think Incognito is just not very smart. I don't mean that as an insult, but more a statement of what's probably true. I think he's severely lacking in natural intelligence.
    Actually, one former teammate compared him to Eddie Haskell from Leave It To Beaver. He can really put on the charm with authority figures and make it seem like he's a model player, but will then push the boundaries to see what he can get away with when he feels they aren't looking. A bad recipe if you have an organization willing to condone or at least turn a blind eye to his behavior.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (11-09-2013)

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Yeah, Jeff Ireland asked Dez Bryant if his mom was a prostitute. It's a clown organization.
    The story goes that Ireland asked Bryant what his dad did for a living, Bryant responded that his dad was a pimp. Later on, Bryant said his mom works for his dad. Based off of these two comments, Ireland asked if Bryant's mom was a prostitute. That doesn't necessarily make the question appropriate, but I think context is pretty important in this situation.

Are you serious? Exiting the situation is what you do at a bar when some drunk is trying to pick a fight with you. You exit that situation because it's not worth it, not because you're a coward like Martin is. You don't exit your career because you're getting a little rookie hazing. And "beat the crap out of Incognito"? This isn't even a fighting situation...at least not as it stands. When people say Martin should have stood up for himself, they mean stand up verbally, which there's no indication he ever did. Grown men know how to draw their lines in the sand. If you're getting hazed, you put up with some of it but you also have your boundaries and you let people know what they are. People like Jonathon Martin are insufferable. And the worst thing is host of griefers like yourself that want to rush to his rescue. That's exactly how he became the grown child that he is.

Of course liberals are jumping all over themselves to paint this as some kind of "bullying" issue, as if it has anything at all in common with what children do when they pick on other kids. That's a dominance/status thing carried out at a primitive level. Lower the other person to raise up yourself. This is more like hazing (and mild hazing at that) where the point is to break down the person's individual ego so you can then draw them into the team concept.

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    This isn't even a fighting situation...at least not as it stands. When people say Martin should have stood up for himself, they mean stand up verbally, which there's no indication he ever did. Grown men know how to draw their lines in the sand.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...unch-incognito

Before Martin left the team on Oct. 28, Martin's agent, Rick Smith, called Ireland and let him know about the situation involving Incognito. Ireland's solution to the bullying problem? He told Smith that Martin should 'punch' Incognito, according to ProFootballTalk.com. If true, that means Ireland basically suggested that one player on his team should assault another player on his team.
    You say that this isn't a fighting situation, but apparently the Dolphins GM thinks otherwise. He tried to deal with the problem by explaining the situation to the GM, so he did stand up for himself verbally. The GM did nothing about it.

I understand the military's a different animal, maybe firefighting and cops too. But have you ever been in a work environment where doing your job well wasn't enough, where you had to become part of a team and were expected to mesh into a social Borg? Where everyone has to be "on the same page"? It's a recipe for mediocrity.
    So you can grasp the difference between the military and the NFL, but you can't grasp the difference between the NFL and your standard office environment complete with cubicles? Sure, it's a sport and people aren't shooting at you, but show me a paper pusher who comes home with broken legs, bruises all over their body, concussions, etc. Football is a tough physical game, you have to be tough to succeed at it, and so the culture has to breed that in the players and that's what it does. There's nothing wrong with any of this, these guys get paid a lot of money to do what they do. If you can't hack it, then leave, but don't leave telling the NFL that's it's way is wrong because you were to weak for the game.

And as far as your understanding of the team concept, yeah....it's supposed to be like the "borg", that's the point of a team. Many people acting as one. No individuals. That's exactly what leads to success (the borg dominated!). I'm not saying everybody should do the same thing everywhere....that's why there's 32 teams, each trying different ways of doing things to find what works best. But within that team? You need people to act as a unit.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    You say that this isn't a fighting situation, but apparently the Dolphins GM thinks otherwise. He tried to deal with the problem by explaining the situation to the GM, so he did stand up for himself verbally. The GM did nothing about it.
    Of course he didn't do anything about it. He was probably pissed that he was being dragged into it by the drama queen. Saying to punch him is just bluster, although it's a way of giving him permission to punch him if it came to that. But mostly he's telling the tattle-tale to stand up for himself. Incognito never got physical, so I don't see any call for Martin to get physical. Of course you have to be ready to for it to get physical, but if he'd have stood up for himself I highly doubt it would have come to that because this isn't genuine hatred or anything, it's hazing.

Turn Off Ads?