Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Ha, that's funny. That SHOULD be the case, but half the country agrees that Martin is a wuss that needs to suck it up. The only thing more depressing than this story is the reaction to it.
    Your reaction is what's depressing. The absolute worship and glorification of weakness as if it was some kind of virtue is disgusting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Despite Ingonito's slurs, I think a lot of this might be about class and personality. A whole bunch of Martin's kin are Harvard Alum. Is Martin too soft on the playing field? I don't follow football closely enough to know. But the "softness" might be because he was seen reading a book or something. If he can't do his job, cut him. But I don't blame him one bit for not wanting to hang in Vegas with a bunch of meatheads.
    OK, so turn the tables. Suppose there's some jock out there that wants a job in academia. Does he bring the locker-room culture into a lecture hall? Of course not! When in Rome!

And say this jock can't cut it as an academic. Do you think it would be right for him turn around and sue the school because of all the back-handed compliments/passive aggressiveness/indirect insults that intellectual type love so much?

Scratch that, suing them doesn't make the analogy, that would be the academics way. Does he go around roughing them all up? Or does he just accept that culture for what it is and leave it alone? That's what I say he should do. Just like Martin should have left it alone if he couldn't handle it.

If we can't have this discussion without getting personal, we can't have this discussion here.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (11-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    OK, so turn the tables. Suppose there's some jock out there that wants a job in academia. Does he bring the locker-room culture into a lecture hall? Of course not! When in Rome!

And say this jock can't cut it as an academic. Do you think it would be right for him turn around and sue the school because of all the back-handed compliments/passive aggressiveness/indirect insults that intellectual type love so much?

Scratch that, suing them doesn't make the analogy, that would be the academics way. Does he go around roughing them all up? Or does he just accept that culture for what it is and leave it alone? That's what I say he should do. Just like Martin should have left it alone if he couldn't handle it.
    Since when did acting like a civilized human being become a "culture"?

7. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (11-09-2013)

Your reaction is what's depressing. The absolute worship and glorification of weakness as if it was some kind of virtue is disgusting.
    ...he exclaimed from the balcony.

Man, I need to fix the flux capacitor and get back to the 21st century. I've definitely landed in the past somewhere.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

10. Likes:

Larkin Fan (11-09-2013),Slyder (11-10-2013),SunDeck (11-11-2013),The Operator (11-10-2013),westofyou (11-10-2013),Wonderful Monds (11-09-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Kinda personal dont ya think...and not what this board is about!!!

Are you serious? Exiting the situation is what you do at a bar when some drunk is trying to pick a fight with you. You exit that situation because it's not worth it, not because you're a coward like Martin is. You don't exit your career because you're getting a little rookie hazing. And "beat the crap out of Incognito"? This isn't even a fighting situation...at least not as it stands. When people say Martin should have stood up for himself, they mean stand up verbally, which there's no indication he ever did.
    Actually, the only thing a verbal confrontation would've done was incite a shouting match. And I'm pretty sure a meat-head like Incognito would have no problem turning to violence when someone openly calls him on his BS.

That's what bullies do. They threaten and taunt you, and if you dare to question them - they assault you because 99% of the time they're too stupid to have any sort of intelligent verbal response.

You've clearly never been on the receiving end of bullying or known anyone who has.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

13. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-10-2013),jimbo (11-10-2013),Larkin Fan (11-10-2013),Slyder (11-10-2013)

Martin is cutting it as a jock. The metaphor doesn't work.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

15. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-10-2013),Larkin Fan (11-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Actually, the only thing a verbal confrontation would've done was incite a shouting match. And I'm pretty sure a meat-head like Incognito would have no problem turning to violence when someone openly calls him on his BS.

That's what bullies do. They threaten and taunt you, and if you dare to question them - they assault you because 99% of the time they're too stupid to have any sort of intelligent verbal response.

You've clearly never been on the receiving end of bullying or known anyone who has.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9955766

Somehow I get the feeling that if Incognito were a Bengal, these would have been huge news stories when they happened and Incognito would have been disciplined by the league.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

This is weird. They just reported that there's texts and VMs like the ones Incognito sent to Martin FROM Martin to Incognito. A specific one they read from Martin: "I'll murder your entire family."

I have friends who I text terrible things to and from whom get terrible things texted back to me, it's kind of just trying to top the other person saying how much we hate each other just to make the other laugh, obviously we actually care very much about each other. I only do that with my closest friends. If any of those friends ever decided they wanted to embarrass me they could show them to people and it would look really bad.

I don't know if that's what happened here. Even if that is the case it doesn't change the fact that Incognito is garbage. Maybe Martin was just playing along with it because that was easier than having to face more bullying from Incognito and the rest of the team. And I bullying rookies into paying for vacations and exorbitant dinners is garbage.

I also consider the possibility that Martin was struggling with the stress of being in the NFL and couldn't take it any more. Rather than saying that perhaps it was easier just to say it was Incognito and he has all the proof he needs right on his phone. And even still if that's the case, I don't have much sympathy for Incognito.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 11-10-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Also reports that Martin sent text to Incognito AFTER he left stating that he wasnt mad at them...just the culture of the NFL. Interesting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Also reports that Martin sent text to Incognito AFTER he left stating that he wasnt mad at them...just the culture of the NFL. Interesting!!!
    Says Richie Incognito??
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

21. Likes:

jojo (11-10-2013),Larkin Fan (11-12-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    This is weird. They just reported that there's texts and VMs like the ones Incognito sent to Martin FROM Martin to Incognito. A specific one they read from Martin: "I'll murder your entire family."

I have friends who I text terrible things to and from whom get terrible things texted back to me, it's kind of just trying to top the other person saying how much we hate each other just to make the other laugh, obviously we actually care very much about each other. I only do that with my closest friends. If any of those friends ever decided they wanted to embarrass me they could show them to people and it would look really bad.

I don't know if that's what happened here. Even if that is the case it doesn't change the fact that Incognito is garbage. Maybe Martin was just playing along with it because that was easier than having to face more bullying from Incognito and the rest of the team. And I bullying rookies into paying for vacations and exorbitant dinners is garbage.

I also consider the possibility that Martin was struggling with the stress of being in the NFL and couldn't take it any more. Rather than saying that perhaps it was easier just to say it was Incognito and he has all the proof he needs right on his phone. And even still if that's the case, I don't have much sympathy for Incognito.
    Turns out its not exactly how Incognito wants it sound
    http://deadspin.com/the-threatening-...-wa-1461938725
    It was just a silly meme.

Turn Off Ads?