Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

Damn. LOOKS like Incognito got screwed based on what I've read there. Don't know if these are real or not, but if they are.....ouch.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-05-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    His teammates love him. I'm reserving my judgment until everything comes out on this. Initially I was on Martins side, but as more and more comes out on this I just don't see him as totally a victim. Other black players on the Dolphins said they consider Incognito more black than Martin and that he is part of the brotherhood. Now that doesn't give him the right to call Martin what he called him, even if he talks to his other black teammates that way. To me it's a respect thing, respect to all that African Americans have gone thru in the past. My time in the military I have became VERY VERY close friends with black Soldiers and some would say I was their "boy" and that I could call them the N word. I ALWAYS said no, that I respected them more than that and didn't feel comfortable using that word. To me both Incognito and Martin are equally wrong in this and it will be very interesting to see what else comes out in this...this is FAR from over!
    I think it's pretty safe to say that Martin comes out looking like a chump on this. I got blasted for my above comments, but I just didn't see Martin as being a "victim" in this case, just kinda insensitive. Its doesn't mean that the culture doesn't need to change in that locker room, just that Martin shoulda handled it better. You don't play a game with friends, then when you start losing, cry foul.

5. Likes:

RiverRat13 (02-05-2014)

http://deadspin.com/investigation-fi...ami-1522833437

Ted Wells has released his report on allegations of bullying in the Dolphins locker room, and it's apparently bigger than just Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin.
    Wells concluded that three players, Richie Incognito, John Jerry and Mike Pouncey, engaged in a "pattern of harassment" of Martin, another player, and an assistant trainer.

"The Report finds that the assistant trainer repeatedly was the object of racial slurs and other racially derogatory language; that the other offensive lineman was subjected to homophobic name-calling and improper physical touching; and that Martin was taunted on a persistent basis with sexually explicit remarks about his sister and his mother and at times ridiculed with racial insults and other offensive comments."

Some more stuff here, but just to warn everyone it contains some pretty graphic/explicit language:
    http://deadspin.com/the-worst-stuff-...ati-1522846626
    Last edited by CTA513; 02-14-2014 at 11:31 AM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    http://deadspin.com/investigation-fi...ami-1522833437

Some more stuff here, but just to warn everyone it contains some pretty graphic/explicit language:
    http://deadspin.com/the-worst-stuff-...ati-1522846626
    Now, somebody please tell me again how Martin is a "chump" and Incognito is just your regular guy who's getting screwed over. Holy crap.

8. Likes:

Tom Servo (02-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Now, somebody please tell me again how Martin is a "chump" and Incognito is just your regular guy who's getting screwed over. Holy crap.
    All quiet on the Incognito defense front.

That said, I'll admit the thought briefly crossed my mind that maybe the bullying situation was overblown when those Incognito/Martin texts came out, but it was only a brief snapshot of a much deeper story, and it's obvious now from the messages to others that Martin was only trying to fit in.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (02-15-2014)

Wow. I think Incognito needs to do some soul-searching on the homosexual front.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    All quiet on the Incognito defense front.

That said, I'll admit the thought briefly crossed my mind that maybe the bullying situation was overblown when those Incognito/Martin texts came out, but it was only a brief snapshot of a much deeper story, and it's obvious now from the messages to others that Martin was only trying to fit in.
    Yes, that Deadspin article is very damning, but it still doesn't change much for me. All along I have said that Incognito is not a good guy and has crossed a line. Also, Martin should have stepped up for himself and his sister. He didn't have to fight! Coach Philbin had no idea this was going on, he coulda nixed this before it got this far. If you don't like how people are treating you, it is your responsibility to let them or someone else know, this did not happen. Incognito is a POS, but Martin has some culpability in this for letting things get as far as they did! Now go ahead and blast away!!!

To be fair to Martin, there's at the very least some evidence that the line coach did know about it. All the evidence he accumulated told him that the coaches knew about Incognito's behavior and approved of it.

It's very difficult to be in that position, and to feel like you are all alone.

What's particularly damning to me is Incognito's behavior toward "Player A"(later revealed to be Practice Squad player Andrew McDonald")

If a veteran feels like he needs to break down a high profile/high draft choice, I may not approve of his methods, but I at least understand the point of it.

But when the veteran "leader" does the same to an undrafted guy busting his tail to simply stay on the team, then it shows he's just a bully who didn't give bleep about any team goals that came ahead of his need to exert his power.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    To be fair to Martin, there's at the very least some evidence that the line coach did know about it. All the evidence he accumulated told him that the coaches knew about Incognito's behavior and approved of it.

It's very difficult to be in that position, and to feel like you are all alone.

What's particularly damning to me is Incognito's behavior toward "Player A"(later revealed to be Practice Squad player Andrew McDonald")

If a veteran feels like he needs to break down a high profile/high draft choice, I may not approve of his methods, but I at least understand the point of it.

But when the veteran "leader" does the same to an undrafted guy busting his tail to simply stay on the team, then it shows he's just a bully who didn't give bleep about any team goals that came ahead of his need to exert his power.
    Frankly Incognito isn't a good enough player to put up with his crap in the clubhouse.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

15. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Frankly Incognito isn't a good enough player to put up with his crap in the clubhouse.
    I do not really think anyone is good enough for a team to put up with this crap, but wasn't Incognito a pro-bowler in 2012?

What I wonder is if what happened in the Dolphins locker room is what happens in other NFL locker rooms. The players seem to be supporting Incognito so that makes me think what Incognito, et. al. did to Martin and the other guy wasn't unusual. Not excusing what they did and not condemning Martin but I'm not convinced that the Dolphins locker room is the exception and not the rule. I think "The Code" has prevented others from coming forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

Joseph (02-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What I wonder is if what happened in the Dolphins locker room is what happens in other NFL locker rooms. The players seem to be supporting Incognito so that makes me think what Incognito, et. al. did to Martin and the other guy wasn't unusual. Not excusing what they did and not condemning Martin but I'm not convinced that the Dolphins locker room is the exception and not the rule. I think "The Code" has prevented others from coming forward.
    I can't believe people are surprised or shocked by this stuff. Look at the sport they play. Why would it be a surprise that a barbaric sport would be made up of barbarians? What do you think you are watching on Sundays?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It does happen in other locker rooms, but I'm not sure how widespread it is. When the story broke, there were some players who mentioned bullying they've witnessed or experienced and some players from other teams spoke out against Incognito. Of course there were players who seem to believe it's just part of locker room bonding. I think different teams set different tones in their locker rooms. Some teams run a tight ship and some leave it up to the players to police themselves.

I think what's particularly troublesome about Incognito is his behavior extended beyond players to the staff. He also appears to have understood that he was crossing the line, telling his teammates to destroy the notebook from Kangaroo Court.

With the black eye the NFL has gotten on how they've dealt with concussions, they should probably come up with a clear anti-bullying policy. Seriously, with the mental health and concussion issues players are dealing with, future bullying incidents could end tragically.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

"So Fla Red"

Martin traded to the 49ers. Reunited with Harbaugh and the Bay Area.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Martin traded to the 49ers. Reunited with Harbaugh and the Bay Area.
    I really feel like the 49ers are going to blow up this season, and not in a good way.

Between Harbaughs contract dispute and now the backup QB making more money than the starter (Gabbert and Kaepernick) things just seem like they are going to reach a boiling point.

Will be curious to see how Martin is treated on a different team though. Might be the best possible landing spot for him with his former coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?