Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Cool Richie's Dad posts on Redszone too!
    I think Cool Richie got killed on Boardwalk Empire last night.

2. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (11-04-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    My concern: you hear about people subjected to bullying snapping and bringing a gun into school or the workplace and shooting people. The NFL might want to crack down on this before a tragedy occurs.
    That's an excellent point. A lot of athletes enjoy bringing their weapons into the locker room to show off or for personal protection but there could come a day where an athlete goes postal over a real or perceived problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Yeah it's an nfl locker room but act like an adult, certainly being paid enough, his dad's posting shows its a family thing.
    Go Gators!

Richie Incognito is making Riley Cooper look like Medgar Evers.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-04-2013)

Incognito seemed to have some kind of obsession with Martin. Martin seems like a pretty intelligent and stable guy. Based on what we know so far, I can't blame him for feeling unsafe and taking the action he took.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    If this all turns out to be true, the most interesting thing might be how Goodell decides to address it. It may be treated the same as the bounty scandal in New Orleans, but I could see him coming down hard on those involved.
    I have nothing personal against the Miami Dolphins, but I really think Goodell should come down hard on them and the players involved for this reason:

Bullying is a real issue, not just in the NFL but in schools all across the country. Think of the high school or middle school kids who watch ESPN and are impressionable enough to think Richie Incognito is a role model and Jonathan Martin is a wuss. Even though we as adults see things differently, with children and teenagers it isn't as cut and dry. The NFL needs to send a message that shows a zero tolerance for bullying, similar to the Saints with the bounties. If not, you're sending a message to kids that bullying is ok and there are no consequences if you do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

10. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (11-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I have nothing personal against the Miami Dolphins, but I really think Goodell should come down hard on them and the players involved for this reason:

Bullying is a real issue, not just in the NFL but in schools all across the country. Think of the high school or middle school kids who watch ESPN and are impressionable enough to think Richie Incognito is a role model and Jonathan Martin is a wuss. Even though we as adults see things differently, with children and teenagers it isn't as cut and dry. The NFL needs to send a message that shows a zero tolerance for bullying, similar to the Saints with the bounties. If not, you're sending a message to kids that bullying is ok and there are no consequences if you do it.
    I'm a Dolphins fan and the whole thing makes me sick. However this is new ground for the NFL. They have to define what bullying is. If bullying is being made to contribute 15K to a trip to Vegas, then shouldn't being made to buy dinner for some vets the same thing? Is being told to carry practice dummies bullying? Sing the school song? Where do you draw the line? And when you do draw that line, what is acceptable punishment? Who do you punish? The player in question? The team? Is it a fine? Loss of draft choice(s)?

It's tricky also because even though Martin came forward, will others? If they do, are they going to be ostracized by teammates and/or coaches? In Martin's case, it's doubtful he'll play for MIA again. Are other GMs going to take a chance on him? Will they be reluctant to sign him because they worry that if anyone looks sideways at Martin he's going to holler about bullying? I seriously doubt Incognito will play in the NFL again so the most you could do is fine him. What about the other players? Incognito is getting all the blame but you have to think he hasn't acted alone. This whole thing was reportedly set up because all the linemen left when Martin went to sit down with them. Maybe all that was Incognito's idea but the others didn't have to go along with it. I'm not saying Martin is to blame but why did he take this so long without standing up for himself? Was he worried about all the other linemen who followed Incognito? I know he didn't want to be a snitch but you have to stand up for yourself too.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm a Dolphins fan and the whole thing makes me sick. However this is new ground for the NFL. They have to define what bullying is. If bullying is being made to contribute 15K to a trip to Vegas, then shouldn't being made to buy dinner for some vets the same thing? Is being told to carry practice dummies bullying? Sing the school song? Where do you draw the line? And when you do draw that line, what is acceptable punishment? Who do you punish? The player in question? The team? Is it a fine? Loss of draft choice(s)?

It's tricky also because even though Martin came forward, will others? If they do, are they going to be ostracized by teammates and/or coaches? In Martin's case, it's doubtful he'll play for MIA again. Are other GMs going to take a chance on him? Will they be reluctant to sign him because they worry that if anyone looks sideways at Martin he's going to holler about bullying? I seriously doubt Incognito will play in the NFL again so the most you could do is fine him. What about the other players? Incognito is getting all the blame but you have to think he hasn't acted alone. This whole thing was reportedly set up because all the linemen left when Martin went to sit down with them. Maybe all that was Incognito's idea but the others didn't have to go along with it. I'm not saying Martin is to blame but why did he take this so long without standing up for himself? Was he worried about all the other linemen who followed Incognito? I know he didn't want to be a snitch but you have to stand up for yourself too.
    I think the reason Incognito is the only one suspended so far is that they had pretty clear evidence based on voicemail and texts that he was going well beyond what is considered playful messing with the rookies and harsh bullying. It's one thing to make rookies sing a fight song or wear a Hello Kitty backpack on a road trip. But making rookies pay for extravagant trips and dinners they didn't go to and then harrassing them by phone and text is something else. That seems less like an initiation into being part of the gang and more like the playground bully who takes your lunch money and threatens to beat you up if you don't bring more next time.

So far we don't know who else might have been involved, so it would be premature for the Dolphins and the league to hand out more suspensions until they know more. It's important to make sure they determine the extent of the harrassment, who was involved and what was the extent of the involvement. In any case, I think the Dolphins are going to have to seriously examine the culture in the clubhouse and make some serious changes. I think the NFL is going to have to put guidelines in place to deal with future incidents. I doubt Incognito is suspended permanently because an arbitrator would likely overturn it. I think his suspension lasts until the investigation is completed, then the Dolphins decide whether to set a defined suspension or just cut him so that he can sign with a new team. It's going to be tougher for Martin. He will likely find it difficult to stay with the Dolphins, and it may take a team with strong veteran leadership willing to take him in under their wing. I get the feeling Incognito will be back on the field before Martin is.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I get the feeling Incognito will be back on the field before Martin is.
    After reading those racially charged text messages, I bet there won't be many African American players in the game who'd be willing to have his back.

He may get a job, but hopefully he'll have hell to pay for his behavior no matter where he goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    After reading those racially charged text messages, I bet there won't be many African American players in the game who'd be willing to have his back.
    In other news, Riley Cooper had 3 TD and 100+ yards receiving on Sunday.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

16. Likes:

Stray (11-05-2013)

Some NFL personnel believe Martin should have kept this in-house and believe he's a coward.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...2_a1&eref=sihp
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Stuff like this will continue to happen as long as the phrase "boys will be boys" or as the article says "guys will be guys" is considered a valid excuse for moronic behavior everywhere!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    In other news, Riley Cooper had 3 TD and 100+ yards receiving on Sunday.
    That doesn't mean his teammates don't hate him, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Some NFL personnel believe Martin should have kept this in-house and believe he's a coward.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...2_a1&eref=sihp
    It goes back to my original point that the people who play the game (and far too many people who run teams -- many of whom are ex-players) simply don't understand that the NFL is a multi-billion dollar business and that these locker rooms are places of employment.

Can you imagine if managers or HR reps at P&G or Apple told an employee who was having problems with a co-worker that the two should handle it with a fight? Or that allegations of racial-slurs and harassment should be a private matter between the two?

The NFL should impose an immediate gag-order, league wide, on this issue -- because everything being said right now (publicly and privately) is fodder for a huge future lawsuit.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?