Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

Re: Dolphins players accused of bullying teammates

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    He paid $9600.00 as a seventh round pick for a dinner for the veterans. No wonder why 78% of football players are bankrupt 3 rears after retirement.
    I've read some ridiculous figures thrown around and really, how does someone spend that kind of money on a dinner? Let's say it's 20 guys and they pig out at Jeff Ruby's with plenty of drinks. I still don't see how you spend $10K. These rookies ought to just say no although I understand I'm not in the clubhouse like they are.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I've read some ridiculous figures thrown around and really, how does someone spend that kind of money on a dinner? Let's say it's 20 guys and they pig out at Jeff Ruby's with plenty of drinks. I still don't see how you spend $10K. These rookies ought to just say no although I understand I'm not in the clubhouse like they are.
    $500 bottles of wine and champagne. And lots of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If the black players he is directing the "ni***rs" at don't care, why should anyone else?
    Marcellus Wiley put it best on Sportsnation last night. Just because one player (Pouncey) is okay with a white player calling him the n word doesn't mean all players have to be okay with it.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

$500 bottles of wine and champagne. And lots of them.
    I heard some players were ordering $1000 bottles of wine to take home with them.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Marcellus Wiley put it best on Sportsnation last night. Just because one player (Pouncey) is okay with a white player calling him the n word doesn't mean all players have to be okay with it.
    I agree that no one has to be okay with being called a ni**er. But if everyone he called a ni**er was okay with it, where is the problem?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I agree that no one has to be okay with being called a ni**er. But if everyone he called a ni**er was okay with it, where is the problem?
    Everyone wasn't though, such as Jonathan Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    OK. Doesn't really change the point.

There's plenty of suggestion that Martin never indicated to anyone that it was a problem prior to last week, though.

If its in the workplace and said publicly, its unprofessional and grounds for termination and potentially a violation of the civil rights of others, just like any other ethnic or racial slur. If its private conversations, then I agree with you.

Maybe they can get Mr. Brown to come in and do some senstitivity training.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    If its in the workplace and said publicly, its unprofessional and grounds for termination and potentially a violation of the civil rights of others, just like any other ethnic or racial slur.
    In my workplace? Of course. In Incognito's workplace? I really don't know.

This is honestly a really complex story. I see that the NFLPA wants to get the agents of the two players together to quash it, because they realize both players's careers are getting hurt badly here. That's the smartest move I've seen from any side yet.

There's plenty of suggestion that Martin never indicated to anyone that it was a problem prior to last week, though.
    This, I think, is the biggest issue. If Martin felt like he was being bullied, he needed to tell somebody. It seems like the treatment Martin received was no different than the treatment that hundreds of other players receive every year, so there was no reason for the Dolphins to think that anything was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    He was laughing about it to the team. He seemed fine with it until he cracked. After Martin walked out on that Monday morning, Incognito reached out to him to see if he had caused it, and Martin said no. Now Martin is saying that Incognito did drive him away, and maybe he just didn't want to tell Incognito that. However, with Incognito reaching out to check on Martin, it seems like he would have been willing to alter his treatment toward Martin if he had approached Incognito about it. Instead, he seemed to blindside the whole team

Interesting to see how nervous the NBA is right now. White players have hinted in the past it's a very racist league.

I am not going to pretend I know what it's like to be black but for some reason I want the black population to be upset about this and there not. There shouldn't be any wiggle room on stuff like this or a double standard.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Obviously one person wasn't okay with it. Wiley broke down the issues quite well. The Dolphins players singled out Martin because he was different. He was a Stanford educated player whose parents both went to Harvard, he was shy and quiet in the locker room. He wasn't viewed as one of the guys. Wiley said he had similar issues being an Ivy Leaguer coming into the NFL, but didn't get it nearly as bad because he had street cred having grown up in Compton. But if you don't have the street cred, look out. Wiley talked about a number of other problems with the situation and basically said it was a breakdown in leadership in the Dolphins organization where the inmates are running the asylum. The staff and veterans on the team were either willfully ignorant or were complicit in the harassment.

I've heard a number of players now come out against Incognito and the Dolphins in general. They seem to feel while Incognito isn't solely to blame for the situation, Martin is not the oneto share the blame, but rather the veterans and coaching staff for creating a culture where players felt they could cross the line from good natured rookie hazing, which some say should have ended in training camp last year, to an ongoing pattern of abuse on a player in his second year. Considering the mental health issues and problems with concussions many players are dealing with, I think there's a call for the NFL to consider punishing this in a similar way to how the Saints were dealt with in the Bounty scandal.

15. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (11-07-2013)

Obviously one person wasn't okay with it.
    Apparently. But still does not change the point.

I heard some players were ordering $1000 bottles of wine to take home with them.
    That's not surprising. In a situation like that guys take advantage. It reminds me somewhat of an episode of The Sopranos where Christopher kept having to buy for everyone because he was the low man on the totem pole. Plus he and Paulie had been feuding over stupid stuff and one night Paulie took advantage by buying Champagne for 3 girls at another table. A lot of it is just breaking balls and what comes around goes around. Eventually the low man - or rookie - is going to have some kid buying for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?