Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Astrodome

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Re: RIP Astrodome

What was wrong with the Astrodome? I loved going to watch baseball there. That scoreboard was outstanding.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    What was wrong with the Astrodome? I loved going to watch baseball there. That scoreboard was outstanding.
    To me... baseball is an outdoor game (football too). The Astrodome started indoor baseball (football). Yuck!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beatlessp View Post
    My fondest memory of the Astrodome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq4gK8PkKNM
    That gave me some sort of cramps.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ahhh the real name is more in reference to the space industry that was in the area in the mid 60's (plus they had a short time to make a decision)
    Regarding the compressed timeline on the naming decision, I had never heard that story before... Curious if you could elaborate. I always enjoy your stories
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    To me... baseball is an outdoor game (football too). The Astrodome started indoor baseball (football). Yuck!
    You have to live in the Sun Belt to understand. The hottest, most humid summer days in Cincinnati are the average summer days in Houston. The hottest, most humid summer days in Houston are probably not safe conditions to play outdoor sports.

From the fans' standpoint, few people in hot, sticky Houston want to spend 3 hours sitting outside during a summer day. And the team in Houston probably doesn't want to be limited to night games for most of the year, which they would be if they played outside.
    /r/reds

7. Likes:

BoxingRed (11-07-2013), Revering4Blue (11-07-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (11-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    You have to live in the Sun Belt to understand. The hottest, most humid summer days in Cincinnati are the average summer days in Houston. The hottest, most humid summer days in Houston are probably not safe conditions to play outdoor sports.

From the fans' standpoint, few people in hot, sticky Houston want to spend 3 hours sitting outside during a summer day. And the team in Houston probably doesn't want to be limited to night games for most of the year, which they would be if they played outside.
    Plus, when they were playing at the other stadium, they had a huge mosquito problem. Here's an interesting article about Colt Stadium.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/ColtStadium.htm
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Given Houston's dwindling role in a shrinking US space program, one could also argue that they're named after an industry that barely exists there.
    It's still here much more than you probably think. It's not booming here like it had been for the past 20-30 years, it's more stagnated. But the majority of Nasa is still up and running here (employment wise). Same for most of the bigger contractors. I'm assuming that they've still got all the upkeeping stuff going on. Satellites and such. I'm not IN the industry...but I see a large number of them on a daily basis.

I think the shrinking of the space program is a major reason the football team picked a name not related to it though.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

In general, I agree. But you can't convince me of that once you've tried playing either outside during the day in the middle of summer here. That's basically insane. Both teams would collapse with heat stroke by the 2nd inning.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Plus, when they were playing at the other stadium, they had a huge mosquito problem. Here's an interesting article about Colt Stadium.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/ColtStadium.htm
    Trust me, it's still a problem. It's the freaking state bird it seems.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

The 1st indoor football game

The NFL Championship game was scheduled to be played at Wrigley Field on December 18, 1932. But as the date approached, Chicago was snowed in, and there was no way to make the field playable. A couple of years earlier, an indoor exhibition football game had taken place at Chicago Stadium, home of the Blackhawks hockey team. Bears owner George Halas proposed moving the 1932 playoff game there.

The field was only 80 yards long, it was 15 feet narrower than normal, the end zones were not regulation size, and the stadium had a cement floor. On the plus side, a circus had just left town, so there was already a layer of dirt in place (further cushioning being provided by leftover elephant droppings), and the stadium looked a lot better to the players than the outside sub-zero temperature and driving snowstorm.
    http://www.answers.com/topic/when-wa...#ixzz2jylAyBJh

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-07-2013), Chip R (11-07-2013), cumberlandreds (11-07-2013), RedFanAlways1966 (11-07-2013)

Imagine a huge snow storm hitting NYC this winter and moving the super bowl into the Gardens, while shortening (and narrowing) the field). I've heard that story before, but had forgotten just how much the field size had been changed. Something that would never happen today; its amazing how much changes in 80 years.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Imagine a huge snow storm hitting NYC this winter and moving the super bowl into the Gardens, while shortening (and narrowing) the field). I've heard that story before, but had forgotten just how much the field size had been changed. Something that would never happen today; its amazing how much changes in 80 years.
    Yeah, I think moving the game inside made the NFL change the rules the next season to put hash marks on the field and moved the goalposts (literally) to the goal line from the end line. IIRC there was also a rule where you could only throw a forward pass if you were at least 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Bronko Nagurski threw a pass that game that was borderline and it basically was the turning point in the game. The Pourtsmouth coach said when they passed the rule the next season where you could throw a forward pass from anywhere behind the line of scrimmage, "Why not? Nagurski will pass from anywhere anyway."
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-07-2013)

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Yes, I know all that. However, IMO, baseball is an outdoor game. If you cannot stand the heat (bugs or anything else), then get out of the game. Of course it is all about $$$ in MLB and that is why we have indoor stadiums. No rainouts, no reduced ticket sales (except Tampa!), etc... all about the dollar. I get that.

But I will never like it. Makes me think of people who complain that the A/C is not cool enough or not on. Makes me wonder how humans ever survived those thousands of years without A/C lol.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Bob Bruce, Turk Farrell and Don Wilson are doleful

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    It's still here much more than you probably think. It's not booming here like it had been for the past 20-30 years, it's more stagnated. But the majority of Nasa is still up and running here (employment wise). Same for most of the bigger contractors. I'm assuming that they've still got all the upkeeping stuff going on. Satellites and such. I'm not IN the industry...but I see a large number of them on a daily basis.
    I know that it's not gone, yet. I read something in the past year about many private businesses being shuttered in Clear Lake because of the reductions at the JSC. Having been to Clear Lake a few times while it was booming, i found that to be a sobering indicator that the aerospace industry is losing economic clout in the metro area.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?