Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Brayan Pena

Re: Reds sign Brayan Pena

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Wow, Rays fans are in love with Ryan Hanigan over at SB Nation...They are talking about trading Price for him and a package.
    You know, I almost wonder if this is part of the new economy in baseball.
    Maybe Ryan's OB skills are overvalued a bit? I mean, the guy was a decent player, but even in his prime, his high OBP was offset by the fact he had zero power and zero speed. Plus the OBP might've been inflated by hitting in front of the pitcher (I say "might have", meaning a theory).

Maybe since everyone is looking for OBP skills, the new economy says to trade these guys for other undervalued skills. Obviously, I don't expect to get Price, but maybe Hannigan is worth more on the trade market than we think?

Pena + whatever we get for Hannigan might be worth a lot more than just keeping Hannigan. If the plan is to let Mes catch most of the time anyhow, Hannigan might be less valuable for us as opposed to others..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

Crumbley (11-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Tim Beckham could be an interesting return for Hanigan. Or Hak-Ju Lee, if they were so inclined.
    Go BLUE!!!

I get the whole sabermetrics things and that Hanigan is liked by some AL teams. But let's think about it, why does he get on base so often? Many times it is due to a walk. Hitting in the 8 spot in the NL and the opposition would rather throw to our pitcher. Ryan is not going to get those same "un"intentional walks while hitting in the 9 spot in the AL. They are going to come right at him. He understands his role on the Reds, not sure he can make that work in the AL.

6. Likes:

Chuckie (11-08-2013),Donder (11-08-2013),REDREAD (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    I get the whole sabermetrics things and that Hanigan is liked by some AL teams. But let's think about it, why does he get on base so often? Many times it is due to a walk. Hitting in the 8 spot in the NL and the opposition would rather throw to our pitcher. Ryan is not going to get those same "un"intentional walks while hitting in the 9 spot in the AL. They are going to come right at him. He understands his role on the Reds, not sure he can make that work in the AL.
    This is actually disproved in the article. His career obp outside of the 8 spot is right in line with his obp in the 8 spot.

8. Likes:

joshua (11-08-2013),Redeyecat (11-08-2013)

Thank you Jesus...

Hanigan and Soto for Joyce and Tim Beckham

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    You know, I almost wonder if this is part of the new economy in baseball.
    Maybe Ryan's OB skills are overvalued a bit? I mean, the guy was a decent player, but even in his prime, his high OBP was offset by the fact he had zero power and zero speed. Plus the OBP might've been inflated by hitting in front of the pitcher (I say "might have", meaning a theory).

Maybe since everyone is looking for OBP skills, the new economy says to trade these guys for other undervalued skills. Obviously, I don't expect to get Price, but maybe Hannigan is worth more on the trade market than we think?

Pena + whatever we get for Hannigan might be worth a lot more than just keeping Hannigan. If the plan is to let Mes catch most of the time anyhow, Hannigan might be less valuable for us as opposed to others..
    Hanigan didn't score runs at a very high clip for the amount he was on base if I recall.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (11-08-2013)

Beckham would be an interesting target considering 2B is about to open up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-08-2013)

Matt Joyce really is a darling on here lately.

Is the difference between Joyce and Paul really worth trading Hanigan and paying 3 million more than what Paul makes? They have been pretty similar the last 2 seasons. Neither is going to be more than a platoon guy in left. Pretty expensive price to pay for that.

16. Likes:

Joseph (11-08-2013),joshua (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Matt Joyce really is a darling on here lately.

Is the difference between Joyce and Paul really worth trading Hanigan and paying 3 million more than what Paul makes? They have been pretty similar the last 2 seasons. Neither is going to be more than a platoon guy in left. Pretty expensive price to pay for that.
    Joyce has been hitting since the day the made the big leagues and has a lot more PAs under his belt. I think there is a fairly significant difference between the two players (1.0 WAR?) which would be worth the $3M...

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I wonder if Walt even considered Navarro.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

19. Likes:

wlf WV (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Joyce has been hitting since the day the made the big leagues and has a lot more PAs under his belt. I think there is a fairly significant difference between the two players (1.0 WAR?) which would be worth the $3M...
    But he wont be getting a ton more at bats if here. He will play when Ludwick doesn't so the difference will be pretty much exactly what it has been over last two seasons. Which is minimal. He has much more value to a team that can use him in both corner positions or DH. The only spot up for Reds he could fill is part time LF which is a strange spot to fill for a team with other holes and someone in house to do that job currently.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    I get the whole sabermetrics things and that Hanigan is liked by some AL teams. But let's think about it, why does he get on base so often? Many times it is due to a walk. Hitting in the 8 spot in the NL and the opposition would rather throw to our pitcher. Ryan is not going to get those same "un"intentional walks while hitting in the 9 spot in the AL.
    I wonder why other 8th place hitters in the NL (Kozma comes to mind) didn't walk so much then?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I wonder why other 8th place hitters in the NL (Kozma comes to mind) didn't walk so much then?
    Hanigan had 29 Walks. Kozma had 34.

Here is a picture of Pena putting on his gear while storm troopers patrol the area.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-08-2013),Big Klu (11-08-2013),Gallen5862 (11-08-2013),reds1869 (11-08-2013),RedTeamGo! (11-08-2013),westofyou (11-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?