Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Brayan Pena

Reds sign Brayan Pena

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...edium=facebook

Pena, who is represented by the Wasserman Media Group, will earn at least $1.25MM in the first year of the deal, though complete financial terms aren't yet available.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Brayan Pena

Two year deal. Some pretty decent money. Does not sound like a depth move.

Interesting.

I'm guessing Hanigan is gone?

Bats switch and only slightly better vs RHP as a LHH - .673 OPS with a sub .300 OBP. ???

edit: last year from the left side of the plate he did hit: .325 /.346 /.455 /.801
    Last edited by mdccclxix; 11-08-2013 at 10:38 AM.

See you Hanny. I wish you the best.

7. Likes:

RadfordVA (11-08-2013)

Very odd. Something else has to be in the works.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Obviously they must be sending Hanigan to Tampa for Price.

10. Likes:

Red Raindog (11-08-2013)

The only reason I can see for this signing is that Hanigan is going to be included in a trade very soon. Nothing at all jumps off the page about Pena when you looks at his stats. Very poor OBP and slugging. I am assuming he is a good defensive catcher because its pretty certain he can't hit much.

** Stats I looked at were through 2012. So he may have had a good 2013 for all I know.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm just as much of the opinion that Mez could be moved as instead of Hanigan. Although with Arroyo gone and perhaps Bailey too, Hanigan doesn't have his main pitchers. And he didn't sound that happy about Dusty getting canned or the idea that there wasn't accountability. Hopefully he's not loyal to a fault.

Pena being a very limited backup catcher does fit better with Mesoraco. OK, I'm seeing the byebye Hanigan more so now. Get younger and cheaper, too.

Give Mesoraco a break against tough RHP. Like the move and frees up Hanigan to trade. Mesoraco and Hanigan were too alike to split time.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Bats switch and only slightly better vs RHP as a LHH - .673 OPS with a sub .300 OBP. ???

edit: last year from the left side of the plate he did hit: .325 /.346 /.455 /.801
    That's how I see it.
    Pena is going to give Meseraco a break against tough RH pitchers.

Hannigan was so bad last season, this is one boost to the bottom of the order that we've been hoping for.

I wonder, now that Dusty is gone and Arroyo leaving, if Hannigan just doesn't have the support? Or maybe the Reds brass decided last year's offensive meltdown wasn't due to his nagging injuries.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Had a really nice year vsRHP last year, and is slightly better in his career vRHP than vLHP.

So long Hanigan. If Dusty being gone means we've seen the last of the Hanigan's and Izturis' getting ABs for this time, I'll be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

His Twitter bio reads only;

"im a great person"

He has to be good. Gotta love that confidence.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-08-2013),pahster (11-08-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (11-08-2013),Tom Servo (11-08-2013),Unassisted (11-08-2013)

Good signing. Gives the team a catching surplus, and I imagine both Hanigan and Mesoraco both have good value. Hope they keep Mes, and I'm guessing they will.

Turn Off Ads?