Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Brayan Pena

Re: Reds sign Brayan Pena

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I absolutely love Hanny but there always comes a time when a player must go and really now is his time and especially if he gives us another critical piece. If we could get Brett Gardner for him that would be awesome.
    Is there somewhere or something that suggested something like that would be possible? I would never guess the Yankees would be willing to consider giving up Gardner for Hanigan.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

The big question of the day is what to call the new catching tandem. Mesapen? Peñaraco? My vote is for Roqueña.

4. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    The big question of the day is what to call the new catching tandem. Mesapen? Peñaraco? My vote is for Roqueña.
    Why just last names? How about Devyan?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Is there somewhere or something that suggested something like that would be possible? I would never guess the Yankees would be willing to consider giving up Gardner for Hanigan.
    No but when I suggested those 2 names I meant it as parameters for a deal, not necessarily that deal straight up. But I think Hanigan has a market for a reason, he can help a pitching staff a great deal and he costs so little in terms of dollars. And as someone already pointed out you can argue he will bounce back offensively to not be a black hole, he has a goodly amount of value make no mistake. Russell Martin behind the plate alone was a big reason the Pirates went from also rans again to the playoffs.

Having said all that he may not be worth so much to the Yankees but for them to acquire a potentially good starting catcher and keep the money low enough to still pay Cano and other players they need to realistically compete again and stay under 189 million this year (the luxury tax threshold), which they seem very serious about doing might make Hanigan a bit more valuable than at 1st glance.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

7. Likes:

wlf WV (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Some people seem to think Gardner is available but do not see it. The Yankees offense is in even worse position than the Reds.

They had 2 better than average hitters last season. 2! One is Gardner and the other is a free agent who might get close to 300 million. Do not see Gardner available.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

.303 .353 .403 .756

Nice MiLB numbers for Pena. Extremely consistent.

Maybe his MLB numbers were inconsistent due to circumstance?

I do think his signing may be the prelude of Chapman to the rotation.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Some people seem to think Gardner is available but do not see it. The Yankees offense is in even worse position than the Reds.

They had 2 better than average hitters last season. 2! One is Gardner and the other is a free agent who might get close to 300 million. Do not see Gardner available.
    There is more than one way to make an egg.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

https://twitter.com/cuban2727

Pena's twitter.

It will be DELIGHTFUL if i can be in such a GREAT ORGANIZATION and be part of their future but is a process and i can't comment about it !!!

It's gonna be ugly on here when Hanigan is traded and his true value to other teams is shown. Prepare yourselves now.

WOY did a nice job laying out the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It's gonna be ugly on here when Hanigan is traded and his true value to other teams is shown. Prepare yourselves now.

A lot of people here considered him a non-tender candidate, so I don't think people will be too upset.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

mth123 (11-08-2013),wlf WV (11-08-2013)

Can't consider this a major deal and its not gonna win a pennant by itself, but it is a nice table-setter. Time to go with Mes and see if he can make the job his own. Pena is not a world beater, but he does bring some versatility and if I had to guess, he an Mes will combine for a modest offensive uptick from the Catcher's slot. The two-year contract should be a nice bridge to Barnhart who should be ready for his debut in the next 1.5-2 years.

Love Hanny, but the dip in his numbers are a warning sign. Dealing him now might bring a surprising and useful return if included in the right package. He's still seen as a solid defensive catcher and his career OPS probably is seen as a positive. Wait even until he trade deadline and his value could plummet. IMO, Hanny is a case of dealing a guy a year too soon as opposed to a year too late. Combine that with the MLB dearth of quality catchers and the time to part ways is quite possibly here.

16. Likes:

RedlegJake (11-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Reading some of the comments on the net has me hopeful of something useful, but I thought he was a non-tender or a guy to be pawned off for a longshot minor leaguer or a faded prospect type. Other non-tender candidates like Matt Joyce might qualify as fair. Not sure that Tim Beckham is faded enough for him to be involved as I've seen proposed here.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Pena, now Ramirez. Could Salty be next? How about sending out both Mez and Hanigan? Making Mez the center piece of one deal, Phillips of another, and maybe Bailey a third? In other words, really changing the ballclub.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Pena, now Ramirez. Could Salty be next? How about sending out both Mez and Hanigan? Making Mez the center piece of one deal, Phillips of another, and maybe Bailey a third? In other words, really changing the ballclub.
    I doubt they will trade Mesoraco. His value just can't be that high right now. You relinquish upside and probably don't get a great return.

If I were going to guess, I'd say Phillips and Hanigan are being shopped as a high level, defensive package. Add Heisey, you can bolster some team's defense immediately.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-08-2013 at 11:08 PM.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I doubt they will trade Mesoraco. His value just can't be that high right now. You relinquish upside and probably don't get a great return.

If I were going to guess, I'd say Phillips and Hanigan are being shopped as a high level, defensive package. Add Heisey, you can bolster some team's defense immediately.
    Agree with you that Phillips, Hanigan, and Heisey would improve some team's defense. I also think those three will not be on the spring training roster. But I'm not sure I'm happy with a Mes/Pena combo at catching; I'd much prefer to sign Saltalamacchia and then use Mes in a deal. A Salty/Pena combination would give us one more position clearly above average offensively (bringing the total to three). I guess partly I'm thinking we're not going to get a difference maker of any kind for Hanigan whereas we just might in a deal featuring Mes. (and then again in two further deals, one featuring Phillips--perhaps together with Hanigan and Heisey--and another in which the central player is Bailey.)

Turn Off Ads?