Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Brayan Pena

Re: Reds sign Brayan Pena

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Agree with you that Phillips, Hanigan, and Heisey would improve some team's defense. I also think those three will not be on the spring training roster. But I'm not sure I'm happy with a Mes/Pena combo at catching; I'd much prefer to sign Saltalamacchia and then use Mes in a deal. A Salty/Pena combination would give us one more position clearly above average offensively (bringing the total to three). I guess partly I'm thinking we're not going to get a difference maker of any kind for Hanigan whereas we just might in a deal featuring Mes. (and then again in two further deals, one featuring Phillips--perhaps together with Hanigan and Heisey--and another in which the central player is Bailey.)

I don't see where Saltalamacchia is this huge upgrade over Mesoraco. He is coming off the best season of his career, while being benched during the World Series. His current team didn't even want to risk him accepting a QO.

Mesoraco has not been given a great chance to prove himself here, but if the Reds want to move on, there may be better options out there than Salty.

Salty: 2203 PA, 246/310/428, plus he Ks about 30% of the time.

Whichever way the Reds go this offseason, I am excited that Jocketty and Price have talked these things out, and seem to be moving forward on the same page. Something that Walt and Dusty never seemed to be on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Agree with you that Phillips, Hanigan, and Heisey would improve some team's defense. I also think those three will not be on the spring training roster. But I'm not sure I'm happy with a Mes/Pena combo at catching; I'd much prefer to sign Saltalamacchia and then use Mes in a deal. A Salty/Pena combination would give us one more position clearly above average offensively (bringing the total to three). I guess partly I'm thinking we're not going to get a difference maker of any kind for Hanigan whereas we just might in a deal featuring Mes. (and then again in two further deals, one featuring Phillips--perhaps together with Hanigan and Heisey--and another in which the central player is Bailey.)
    Unless you're resigned to the 'competitive window' idea, I just don't think our mid-market pockets have the luxury of fleeing every uncertainty. It's the reason we have the best arm in baseball closing out games at an average clip and what was once the best catching prospect entering his age 26 season as a question mark. Gotta see what we have in Rocco at this point IMO.

Dave Cameron tweeted that he'd rather have Hanigan than Salty. He might have more trade value than we think.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

2 catchers in 2 days.

This is what happens when trying to replace a legend.

Corky does leave a large moustache to fill.

https://twitter.com/cuban2727

Good Morning NERTS NATION on my way to CINCINNATI for my physicals !! love u all !!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Dave Cameron tweeted that he'd rather have Hanigan than Salty. He might have more trade value than we think.
    That Blue Jays article had a good point about Hanigan, he has only had an OBP under .350 once in his career (2013), and he had a very unlucky .217 BABIP.

I am actually starting to think the Reds should hold on to Hanigan and move Mesoraco.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That Blue Jays article had a good point about Hanigan, he has only had an OBP under .350 once in his career (2013), and he had a very unlucky .217 BABIP.

I am actually starting to think the Reds should hold on to Hanigan and move Mesoraco.
    If people actually think--as Dave Cameron quoted above apparently does--that Hanigan is better than Saltalamacchia, then moving Mesoraco makes sense.

I didn't see Hanigan's BABIP being driven by luck. I saw a guy who couldn't get the ball out of the infield. But then again, his LD% was still over 20%, so it could be a case of my eyes deceiving me.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I didn't see Hanigan's BABIP being driven by luck. I saw a guy who couldn't get the ball out of the infield. But then again, his LD% was still over 20%, so it could be a case of my eyes deceiving me.
    While I'm sure Hanigan will rebound somewhat next season, when Hanigan finally loses it that's exactly how he's going to lose it. He has barely enough power as it is. If his bat gets softer, pitchers will have very little reason to throw him a pitch off the plate.

Anyway, the Reds need to add power (Pena helps a little on that front). Mes has some unrealized power potential. Hanigan lacks power. If there's a market for Hanigan, and it sounds like there is, then it's probably time to move Hanigan.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-22-2013),Mitri (11-12-2013),mth123 (11-12-2013),OesterPoster (11-12-2013),Old school 1983 (11-12-2013),PepperJack (11-12-2013),RedlegJake (11-21-2013),REDREAD (11-12-2013),Tom Servo (11-12-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Step away from the computer.....

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-12-2013),oregonred (11-12-2013),PepperJack (11-12-2013),Tom Servo (11-12-2013),westofyou (11-12-2013)

I think clubs can look at how banged up Hannigan's wrists (?) were last season as a reason for his low BABIP. I think that's an even better reason than bad luck. I think Hannigan's OBP will rebound next year. (Although perhaps not rebound all the way to 350)

However, Hannigan's lack of speed and power really negate his OBP. Thus, I think he might be overvalued by teams that highly regard OBP. I think we will get much more offense out of Mesoraco. Mes is clearly the one to keep, IMO.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

He passed his physical, and now it's official.

https://twitter.com/Reds

Reds, C Brayan Pena agree to terms on 2-year contract.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...T04/311200158/

Pena, Ryan Hanigan and Devin Mesoraco give the Reds three catchers on the 40-man roster. It's likely that the Reds will go with two – Hanigan has reportedly been offered in trade – but there's a slight possibility the Reds will go with three catchers.

"Pena's a good left-handed bat," Jocketty said. "Mesoraco hits left-handers well. We could use them as pinch-hitters. We could go that way, but I don't really know yet."

Good.Lord.

Uncle Walt is excruciating. My trade fever is probably just heightened because of the Fielder trade, but I am so sick of Uncle Walt sitting on his hands. Yes, I know he traded for Latos, but he has done absolutely nothing since, and that was two years ago. The time to improve the team is now, and carrying 3 catchers is not the way to do so.

Turn Off Ads?