Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds to sign Brayan Pena

Reds to sign Brayan Pena

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ayan-pena.html

I guessed that this likely meant the end of Ryan Hanigan's days in Cincinnati and I think my guess will come to pass.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...n-hanigan.html
    twitter- @willrich_116

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds to sign Brayan Pena

This is a good get. His splits match up well with Mesoraco. A nice, cheap addition to the bottom of our order. Makes you wonder where Hannigan will end up.

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-08-2013)

I'm getting so tired of the Reds lack of a good hitting catcher. The guy is 32 so he is by far not a prospect, he is at the end of his prime years. Scouting has been horrible when it comes to catchers. In the last ten years, I think they have taken a catcher in the first round 2 or 3 times and have yet to hit on someone any good at hitting. I believe Mesoraco was one of those first round picks.

The reason I believe this is a good move is because Pena hit .325/.346/.455 versus RHP. And he is a switch hitter off the bench. Pena is 31 and Hanigan is 33. Mesoraco hit .212/.254/.322 against righties and .321/.386/.487 against lefties. My guess is Meso gets lefties and lower rotation righties and Pena gets higher rotation righties.

Trade idea: Hanigan to Rays for Matt Joyce.
    twitter- @willrich_116

7. Likes:

jwertz (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WillRich View Post
    The reason I believe this is a good move is because Pena hit .325/.346/.455 versus RHP. And he is a switch hitter off the bench. Pena is 31 and Hanigan is 33. Mesoraco hit .212/.254/.322 against righties and .321/.386/.487 against lefties. My guess is Meso gets lefties and lower rotation righties and Pena gets higher rotation righties.

Trade idea: Hanigan to Rays for Matt Joyce.
    The Rays really want to get rid of Price. Homer Bailey and Hannigan for Price?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    The Rays really want to get rid of Price. Homer Bailey and Hannigan for Price?
    Not even close to enough for Price

I'm getting so tired of the Reds lack of a good hitting catcher. The guy is 32 so he is by far not a prospect, he is at the end of his prime years. Scouting has been horrible when it comes to catchers. In the last ten years, I think they have taken a catcher in the first round 2 or 3 times and have yet to hit on someone any good at hitting. I believe Mesoraco was one of those first round picks.
    Grandal would disagree. He can hit. He just likes to take PEDs too. But, seriously, where are the great hitting catchers anywhere? There is Posey. Mauer. McCann is OK, so is Salty but neither are really good hitters, just better than most of the catchers today. There are no Johnny Bench or ARod catchers out there beyond Posey and maybe Mauer. Even Molina is considered a good hitter because he is a catcher. Play him at 1B or RF and suddenly he's just so so. Those guys are it really. Posey, Mauer, Molina. Out of 30 teams.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

11. Likes:

joshua (11-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Grandal would disagree. He can hit. He just likes to take PEDs too. But, seriously, where are the great hitting catchers anywhere? There is Posey. Mauer. McCann is OK, so is Salty but neither are really good hitters, just better than most of the catchers today. There are no Johnny Bench or ARod catchers out there beyond Posey and maybe Mauer. Even Molina is considered a good hitter because he is a catcher. Play him at 1B or RF and suddenly he's just so so. Those guys are it really. Posey, Mauer, Molina. Out of 30 teams.
    Add Ham Porter to that list. Kid can hit.

13. Likes:

Gapper (11-08-2013)

I think a big part of it is, once a player gets into college or 'club' ball, if they are a good hitting catcher they tend to move them to a position that is less taxing on them physically so they will last longer. Craig Biggio is a good example. There are many more, but that is just an example.
    Last edited by Lewdog; 11-08-2013 at 01:45 PM.

I think a big part of it is, once a player gets into college or 'club' ball, if they are a good hitting catcher they ten to move them to a position that is less taxing on them physically so they will last longer. Craig Biggio is a good example. There are many more, but that is just an example.
    Good point. Joey Votto was a catcher.

I'm not sure why we signed this guy tbh. If it is to replace Hanigan it's a pretty big downgrade.

If you look at the last 3 years combined

Pena

vs lhp - .260/.282/.335
    vs rhp - .261/.293/.363
    Hanigan

vs lhp - .280/.396/.378
    vs rhp - .243/.332/.309

Career total stats

Pena - .258/.292/.359 Hanigan - .262/.359/.343
    Last edited by SlimJim11; 11-08-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim11 View Post
    I'm not sure why we signed this guy tbh. If it is to replace Hanigan it's a pretty big downgrade.

If you look at the last 3 years combined

Pena

vs lhp - .260/.282/.335
    vs rhp - .261/.293/.363
    Hanigan

vs lhp - .280/.396/.378
    vs rhp - .243/.332/.309

Career total stats

Pena - .258/.292/.359 Hanigan - .262/.359/.343
    It wasn't to replace Ryan. Devin replaces Ryan and this guy is now your backup emergency catcher. IF your plan is to have Devin be the man, then you can't keep Hannigan around, you need to get a guy who knows he is the backup/B guy and that is what this moves does, now Devin just has to stand up and become the "man" behind the plate.

I would also like to point out that the Reds are getting rid of Hannigan at a time they know Bronson is leaving. Hannigan was Bronson's favorite catcher.

Pena lets Mes become the clear #1 catcher. I think it signals they will try to deal Hanny to one of the clubs that have expressed interest (Rays, Yanks for two). There are a few clubs that like Hanigan for his D and he should bring something back.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Pena lets Mes become the clear #1 catcher. I think it signals they will try to deal Hanny to one of the clubs that have expressed interest (Rays, Yanks for two). There are a few clubs that like Hanigan for his D and he should bring something back.
    Do you think these moves have anything to do with Hannigan not being able to speak Spanish, and the Reds have so many Spanish speaking pitchers?

Turn Off Ads?