Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Some would say a team that throws four interceptions, has a 10-yard punt and has two consecutive 15-yard penalties on the same play could be in trouble in the playoffs.

I say that's true.

On the other hand, I also say to have those things and still win by 17 against a team fighting for a playoff spot is impressive.

Bills gonna get it done today. Bengals will be rewarded.
    Shannon Sharpe said that and he's just a bitter Ravens fan, and I think it could be looked at as "how scary is a team that threw 4 interceptions and still won 34-17? The Bengals are scary good at home."

The last interception was AJ Green's responsibility to make a play on the ball. Not sure what happened there, but it should have been an easy TD. For those complaining, stuffing two predictable run plays up the middle would have been much better, eh? I'm glad to see him using stuff down on the goal line instead of predictable plays. It wasn't executed, but I can't complain about an aggressive play call.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

I won't lie, I wanted no part of the Steelers in the playoffs. They know eachother too well, and I could see the Bengals playing really tight against them.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

When do they announce next weeks game times?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I won't lie, I wanted no part of the Steelers in the playoffs. They know eachother too well, and I could see the Bengals playing really tight against them.
    That's how I originally felt. But then I kind of wanted to play them. I mean, it would definitely be the highest stakes Bengals-Steelers game in history, and that's saying something.

Either the Bengals win, breaking the streak and burying all the ghosts of the past 20 years, setting a new standard for the rivalry and the division.

Or...

The Steelers come in, with nothing to lose, and beat the Bengals at their best, like the Carson Palmer game except maybe worse if there is no injury excuse, and the Steelers come limping in- proving once and for all that try are the dominant big brother.

Oh well, either way, let's break this streak!!
    Go BLUE!!!

Miami would have been the best match-up (poor QB play, motivated Bengals after losing to them the first time) but I'll take San Diego. Their defense is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Shannon Sharpe said that and he's just a bitter Ravens fan, and I think it could be looked at as "how scary is a team that threw 4 interceptions and still won 34-17? The Bengals are scary good at home."

The last interception was AJ Green's responsibility to make a play on the ball. Not sure what happened there, but it should have been an easy TD. For those complaining, stuffing two predictable run plays up the middle would have been much better, eh? I'm glad to see him using stuff down on the goal line instead of predictable plays. It wasn't executed, but I can't complain about an aggressive play call.
    I would agree if the Bengals hadn't been doing well with the run, but the Law Firm had been getting good yards on the rare occasions they called his number. Also, there is the philosophy that when you have 1st and Goal and less than a yard to go, you should be able to punch it in. If you can't move the ball less than a yard in 3 plays, you don't deserve a TD.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    When do they announce next weeks game times?
    Later this evening. We should know before bed time.

My guess is:

4:30- Kansas City/Indianapolis
    8:00- New Orleans/Dallas or Philadelphia

1:00- San Diego/Cincinnati
    4:30- San Francisco/Green Bay
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post

My guess is:

My guess is the Bengals will be the early game on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post

My guess is:

I'd prefer the early game either day.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I would agree if the Bengals hadn't been doing well with the run, but the Law Firm had been getting good yards on the rare occasions they called his number. Also, there is the philosophy that when you have 1st and Goal and less than a yard to go, you should be able to punch it in. If you can't move the ball less than a yard in 3 plays, you don't deserve a TD.
    A philosophy that really doesn't make any sense. I was glad to see Gruden bucking the trend and run a play that will score, not worrying about "deserving" a TD. For example, he ran the read option with Dalton in short yardage today multiple times. Regularly running the ball up the middle in short yardage is lazy.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

12. Likes:

westofyou (12-29-2013)

1:00 on Sunday. Glad to get out of that 4:00 Saturday time slot.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

14. Likes:

Benihana (12-30-2013),Boss-Hog (12-29-2013),RiverRat13 (12-29-2013),Yachtzee (12-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    A philosophy that really doesn't make any sense. I was glad to see Gruden bucking the trend and run a play that will score, not worrying about "deserving" a TD. For example, he ran the read option with Dalton in short yardage today multiple times. Regularly running the ball up the middle in short yardage is lazy.
    We're talking less than a yard and the line was doing well. At that distance all the line needs to do is fall forward and it's in the end zone. It's a little different if it's 2-3 yards and the line needs to open a hole that can be plugged by a linebacker. The only pass play I call in that situation is option where I tell the QB to only throw if the coverage is blown and you've got a wide open receiver. Otherwise run it yourself or throw it away. There is no reason to try to throw into coverage when it's 1st down and the yardage is so short.

I'd note the read option was most successful when Dalton ran the ball himself, so it ended up being run rather than pass. For a team that seemed to do very well with the run today, they seemed to do very little of it.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 12-29-2013 at 10:51 PM.

I'd also note that running on 1st and goal in the 4th quarter with less than a yard to go also has the benefit that, if you fail on the first try, you're still running time off the clock.

17. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-29-2013)

From Marvin's post-game interview:

You were up 10 in the fourth quarter with first-and-goal at the one: why throw the ball there?
    “The quarterback has things that they do based on looks, so he makes the determination at the line of scrimmage.”

So he checked down on that one?
    “We make the decisions we make and we live with them. Last week we scored touchdowns on those plays and they were great plays weren’t they? Again, last week we converted those.”

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'd also note that running on 1st and goal in the 4th quarter with less than a yard to go also has the benefit that, if you fail on the first try, you're still running time off the clock.
    Heck running it into the line 4 times without scoring causing the clock to run is still a bit of a win.

Turn Off Ads?