Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

I think what makes today's win a little sweeter was that up here in Browns territory, a lot of people were looking at this as a win for the Browns. There was a lot of talk about a season sweep against the Bengals.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think what makes today's win a little sweeter was that up here in Browns territory, a lot of people were looking at this as a win for the Browns. There was a lot of talk about a season sweep against the Bengals.
    Dream on Browns fans. You're right where you should be. Below .500; bad but not bad enough to get an elite player

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I was at a buddy's, with a group of guys from work, for a "Battle of Ohio" get-together.

When it comes to these two Ohio teams I have no idea who is gonna win (most of the time). It is hard though to sweep the series.

I told my buddy - "Which ever team doesn't show up (Bungles, Clowns) should win!

The 1st quarter it was the Bungles, and the 2nd Quarter it was the Clowns. It settled down somewhat in the second half.

But both of these QBs were terrible for the most part. It's obvious the Browns need a QB (and a RB). But even my Bengal friends are starting to question Andy Dalton. He posted a Total QBR of 3.7 yesterday.

But I give credit to both of these defenses yesterday. They played solid. Now some would say "Look at the score! How can you say that?" Easy - The majority of the scoring came from offensive turnovers (6 total), putting their defenses in bad situations (short field), and special team debacles.

I picked the Browns to go 5-11, and I think I'm on track.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Dream on Browns fans. You're right where you should be. Below .500; bad but not bad enough to get an elite player
    You're laughable. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Joe Flacco's contract looks worse and worse every game. He was great in the playoffs last year, but now that he has locked the Ravens into a horrible contract, he has happily returned to being an average/below average QB.
    When you pay a QB that much money it's hard to afford talent to surround him with. There's only a few QBs that can make anyone look good, the rest need help.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I don't see how someone doesn't hire Zimmer as HC this off-season. My guess is he winds up in miami. They're going to want a strong character guy.
    My hope against hope is that Marvin is promoted to GM or director of player personnel (which he's DAMN GOOD at) and Zim becomes HC. Similar to Price, I'd love for Zimmer to stay in-house.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

New York Red (11-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You're laughable. LOL
    You admited it in your previous post. You predicted 5-11 and they're on track. What was laughable were all the Browns fans thinking that they would sweep the Bengals and take the division

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    My hope against hope is that Marvin is promoted to GM or director of player personnel (which he's DAMN GOOD at) and Zim becomes HC. Similar to Price, I'd love for Zimmer to stay in-house.
    We've been hopin' for that for 10 yrs. Don't get too excited that this will be the year

I think people are underestimating the effect the wind had in that game. Every single point was scored in one endzone, 61 of them.

I actually think Dalton bounced back pretty good. He had two terrible throws in the 1st, into a gale force wind. Gruden's play calling was pretty poor if you ask me. Andy was snake bit in that 1st quarter. 1st play is a holding call, 2 int's, and a big Gresham drop.

After the first Andy settled down and made some nice throws. I think he was able to take a pretty big deep breath in that 2nd quarter. I do wonder if the Bengals try to force the ball into AJ too much. With all the weapons available they should use Green as a decoy against the Browns.

I think Chud is a decent coach, he made some poor coaching decisions. The Campbell to Gordon throw was a thing of beauty. Gordon also had some drops that hurt my fantasy team.

Someone on another message board I read pointed out that they don't seem to use the middle of the field much at all. It's all sideline stuff.

Possible it's because of all the batted passes, but I think it makes things more difficult and minimizes some of the offensive strengths like Gio and the TEs.

Dalton is limited, but he's not being helped by the play calling at times. I also feel like drops have been worse this year.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

When Dalton was at his best, during that stretch, they used the middle of the field a lot. when Dalton struggles, they get away from that. Its been a trend for 3 years now. Sometimes a 7 yard slant is the perfect call.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think people are underestimating the effect the wind had in that game. Every single point was scored in one endzone, 61 of them.

I actually think Dalton bounced back pretty good. He had two terrible throws in the 1st, into a gale force wind. Gruden's play calling was pretty poor if you ask me. Andy was snake bit in that 1st quarter. 1st play is a holding call, 2 int's, and a big Gresham drop.

After the first Andy settled down and made some nice throws. I think he was able to take a pretty big deep breath in that 2nd quarter. I do wonder if the Bengals try to force the ball into AJ too much. With all the weapons available they should use Green as a decoy against the Browns.

I think Chud is a decent coach, he made some poor coaching decisions. The Campbell to Gordon throw was a thing of beauty. Gordon also had some drops that hurt my fantasy team.
    I'd agree with a lot of that.
    I had the sound down on the TV, but on Dalton's first interception they showed Green breaking to the middle while Dalton's throw was to the outside. It's possible that was more of a miscommunication than even a bad throw.

After that, he managed the game pretty well considering he had zero rushing game.

Cleveland's clock management at end of 1st half was particularly poor. No way you can allow the Bengals to force a punt with any time on clock.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Someone on another message board I read pointed out that they don't seem to use the middle of the field much at all. It's all sideline stuff.

Possible it's because of all the batted passes, but I think it makes things more difficult and minimizes some of the offensive strengths like Gio and the TEs.

Dalton is limited, but he's not being helped by the play calling at times. I also feel like drops have been worse this year.
    I wonder if that was the game plan going into the game? Or they developed that into the game plan after going up 18 points?

Being at the game I knew it would be very difficult to score into the wind. With a big lead all the Bengals needed to do was get into the 4th with a nice cushion and the game was theirs. I think the strategy changed to protect the ball and the lead which was probably why they ran the ball a lot more and threw the ball to the sidelines.

When the Bengals offense is clicking they do use the middle of the field very well. I think what sets Jay Gruden back is he can get into a rut sometimes and call a pretty boring and vanilla game.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We've been hopin' for that for 10 yrs. Don't get too excited that this will be the year
    Yeah, I know. A boy can dream, though.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Dalton struggles with the deep out. I'm guessing a big reason the Bengals aren't using the middle of the field is because opponents are taking it away, therefore daring him to throw the ball outside.

Turn Off Ads?