Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Go back and re-read my post.

I said I participate on two Brown forums (and have for many years). Redszone is not a Brown's forum, and I wasn't referring to here.
    I understood what you were saying and my response is YMMV

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This NE Ohio writer called the Browns the best team in the AFC North and called Jason Campbell an elite QB:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...medium=twitter

This isn't some clown on a messageboard. It's straight from the Browns official website
    First off - Cleveland.com is not the official Brown's website. That's like saying the Cincy Enquirer or Dayton Daily News is the official Bengal's/Red's website. It's not. They are local newspapers (media sources). This is the Brown's official website..... www.clevelandbrowns.com

Mary Kay Cabot is a beat writer for the Plain Dealer. Yeah, she covers the Browns (that's about all any Brown fan would say about her). Find a more respected beat writer then her. A majority of Brown fans, and especially the members of the forums I'm on .... which are like RZ (avid fans who follow and take their analysis/critique of the game of football rather seriously..... roll their eyes and laugh at many of her observations.

There are plenty of other far more credible beast writers covering the Browns then her.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I understood what you were saying and my response is YMMV
    I don't speak gibberish.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Go back and re-read my post.

I said I participate on two Brown forums (and have for many years). Redszone is not a Brown's forum, and I wasn't referring to here.
    I'd hazard a guess that most of the fans on your Browns forums tend to be more realistic than your average Browns fan because, like Redszone for Reds fans, if you make some wild claim, someone else is going to come up with stats and other evidence that proves you wrong.

Living in Browns territory most of my life, I can say that, while some of my friends are realists in their fandom, I know quite a few who seem to have this overall way too optimistic view of the Browns. It's like the flipside of Bengals fans. No matter how well the Bengals do, a sizeable number are convinced that doom is just around the corner. Meanwhile, quite a few of my Brownie friends seem to believe that the Browns have a shot at the Super Bowl every year and that every new acquisition by the Browns is a future Pro Bowler. This summer I had a debate with my own brother, where he stated that Brandon Weedon was an elite QB, who would have a much better career than Andy Dalton. Well Dalton may not be an elite QB, but he did win AFC Player of the Month and is still playing, whereas Weedon has already lost his starting job. And of course I've already heard how first Hoyer and now Campbell will lead the Browns to the promised land.

I will say that when things go wrong, some Browns fans can be extremely funny in cracking jokes about the team (see Mike "Factory of Sadness" Polk).
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I don't speak gibberish.

You sure you don't want to rethink your pick of Vandy over my Vols? I'd hate to see you underestimate them again and cost you...

One thing I've noticed is that many Browns fans put the team on the same level as the Bengals recently.

Which look, the Bengals are a rough franchise to be a lifelong fan of, but they've gone to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years, and this year will probably make 4 out of 5. 2010 was a bad year, but otherwise they've been an above average franchise since 2009.

Meanwhile, the Browns have lost double digits every year since 2008. And yet I read things on forums and blogs that suggest at least some Browns fans put the franchise on the same level as Cincinnati's. It's weird.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

8. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (11-21-2013),Sea Ray (11-20-2013),The Operator (11-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that many Browns fans put the team on the same level as the Bengals recently.

Which look, the Bengals are a rough franchise to be a lifelong fan of, but they've gone to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years, and this year will probably make 4 out of 5. 2010 was a bad year, but otherwise they've been an above average franchise since 2009.

Meanwhile, the Browns have lost double digits every year since 2008. And yet I read things on forums and blogs that suggest at least some Browns fans put the franchise on the same level as Cincinnati's. It's weird.
    maybe they're refering to the '90s Bengals when making comparisons.
    Is it "next season" yet?

10. Likes:

The Operator (11-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Just saw this on the Enquirer website: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/...-in-car-crash/

Always terrible to see a young life cut short.
    Ya know, I've been thinking more and more about this the last day or so and can't but think that everyone who was going onto social media (I even posted an RIP on my facebook) and talking about what a great guy he was is sorta missing the point.

He may have been a nice guy and a good teammate, but he just killed an innocent person an a completely awful way.

Maybe all of his teammates should be pouring out their sympathy to the family of the person he killed instead of the family of the guy who did the killing.

Just my two cents. Carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Operator,

I've seen thoughts similar to yours, and I get it. It's a tragedy is that someone who didn't do anything wrong was killed (at least in part) because someone else was driving recklessly.

But to say one is more deserving of sympathy or more of a tragedy misses the point. The end result is the same, regardless of who is at fault. The sadness doesn't result from someone blameless losing his life, rather its from someone losing his life period.

Howard's teammates remember their friend. The other driver, no matter how blameless, is not someone they knew. So of course they're going to be focused on their friend who died that they knew more than the other driver.

The teammates, media, and fans aren't justifying or condoning Howard's actions that night by remembering his positive attributes. They are simply focusing on the man who meant something to them.

People all over the world die every day in tragic circumstances. A human can not mourn everyone who dies. Humans mourn those who's life meant something to them personally and thus the death will mean something.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

13. Likes:

Stray (11-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Ya know, I've been thinking more and more about this the last day or so and can't but think that everyone who was going onto social media (I even posted an RIP on my facebook) and talking about what a great guy he was is sorta missing the point.

He may have been a nice guy and a good teammate, but he just killed an innocent person an a completely awful way.

Maybe all of his teammates should be pouring out their sympathy to the family of the person he killed instead of the family of the guy who did the killing.

Just my two cents. Carry on.
    Not sure if you were responding directly to my post or not, but all I said is that it's tragic when a young life is cut short. People young and old make poor decisions that carry the ultimate penalty. Whether they were the direct cause or not, it's still tragic. I think sympathy should go to all involved.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Vinny Rey to split time with Darth Maualuga when he returns from injury. I think we may be seeing a changing of the guard at MLB.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Not sure if you were responding directly to my post or not, but all I said is that it's tragic when a young life is cut short. People young and old make poor decisions that carry the ultimate penalty. Whether they were the direct cause or not, it's still tragic. I think sympathy should go to all involved.
    No, not to your specific post at all.

I just quoted it since you were the one who broke the news first.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Vinny Rey to split time with Darth Maualuga when he returns from injury. I think we may be seeing a changing of the guard at MLB.
    Could Maualuga move to OLB next year, or should the Bengals be looking in that direction in the first round?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Could Maualuga move to OLB next year, or should the Bengals be looking in that direction in the first round?
    They've got other options on the roster such as Emmanuel Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The knock on Maualuga coming out of USC was that he was a 2 down LB and would have to come out in the nickle. He will be back next season and maybe they decide to move him to OLB but I think Rey and Burfict are going to be the two core lbs next season.

This season Maualuga has looked good against the run but has always looked heavy and a half a step slow in coverage. I don't know the ins and outs of LB play in defensive schemes, but if the OLB is forced to cover TE's and RB's then he would be exposed.

Turn Off Ads?