Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Could Maualuga move to OLB next year, or should the Bengals be looking in that direction in the first round?
    He played his first yr in the league at strong side so I could see Harrison being a cap casualty and Maualuga moving back to that role. It really depends on who is going to be DC next season.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Could Maualuga move to OLB next year, or should the Bengals be looking in that direction in the first round?
    I like that the LB corps has gone from a weakness to a strength in the span of a few seasons. I would prefer that the Bengals look to improving the OL and DBs in the next draft.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

As of right now, I think the Bengals should prioritize the following positions (in this order) in next year's draft:

1. CB - Bengals biggest need by far. Newman and Jones have been solid but are both getting too long in the tooth. Hall is a question mark returning from injury and Krikpatrick has been a colossal bust. Ifo Ekpre-Ofuno from Oregon and Louchiez Purifoy from Florida seem to be the cream of this crop, and the most likely Bengals targets in the first round.

2. OLB - With Burfict firmly entrenched on the weakside and one or both of the Reys manning the middle, the Bengals could definitely use a strong-side backer to put Harrison out to pasture. There are two guys in this year's draft who I might take over a CB - Anthony Barr of UCLA and Khalid Mack of Buffalo. They will both likely be top 10 (if not top 5) guys, but in case one of them slides, I'd pounce. Otherwise we could and should probably take a good one on Day 2.

3. OL - No pressing or specific need, but the OL has not been particularly strong this year. Zeitler and Cook have been inconsistent, and Whitworth will need a replacement eventually (but maybe not for another year or two). Taylor Lewan would be great if he slid into the second round. Michigan linemen are always good (but I'm biased of course). A more likely scenario will have an OL be the first round target in the 2015 draft, probably an OT to replace Whitworth.

4. QB - Yes, by far the most controversial. I wouldn't take one in the first round unless a franchise guy unexpectedly fell in my lap (I'd pass on Manziel), but I would very much like to see the Bengals take a QB in round 2, 3, or 4 in order to challenge Dalton. Not threaten him, mind you, but challenge him. I'm not yet sure if Dalton is the answer for the remainder of this decade, but I'm not ready to fold on him either. If the Bengals were to take a QB in rounds 2-4, at worst they'd get a viable backup, and at best they'd have a new QB. Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick, as well as Andy Dalton, are all recent examples of franchise QB that were taken in these rounds. Nick Foles and Mike Glennon appear well on their way to joining that list shortly.

5. WR - I'm still not convinced we have a proper #2 WR (think TJ Houshmandzadeh), which is something we need with Dalton's inconsistent play. Jones has been good in spurts but strikes me more as a #3, Sanu unreliable at best, and Baby Hawk is moving quickly into irrelevancy. Clemson's Sammy Watkins (who I'll see play tomorrow) is the highest rated today - I'd pass on Marquise Lee as I wouldn't take a USC WR - but that could change in the coming months. Either way this is probably a Day 3 issue.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-22-2013 at 08:43 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    As of right now, I think the Bengals should prioritize the following positions (in this order) in next year's draft:

1. CB - Bengals biggest need by far. Newman and Jones have been solid but are both getting too long in the tooth. Hall is a question mark returning from injury and Krikpatrick has been a colossal bust. Ifo Ekpre-Ofuno from Oregon and Louchiez Purifoy from Florida seem to be the cream of this crop, and the most likely Bengals targets in the first round.

2. OLB - With Burfict firmly entrenched on the weakside and one or both of the Reys manning the middle, the Bengals could definitely use a strong-side backer to put Harrison out to pasture. There are two guys in this year's draft who I might take over a CB - Anthony Barr of UCLA and Khalid Mack of Buffalo. They will both likely be top 10 (if not top 5) guys, but in case one of them slides, I'd pounce. Otherwise we could and should probably take a good one on Day 2.

3. OL - No pressing or specific need, but the OL has not been particularly strong this year. Zeitler and Cook have been inconsistent, and Whitworth will need a replacement eventually (but maybe not for another year or two). Taylor Lewan would be great if he slid into the second round. Michigan linemen are always good (but I'm biased of course). A more likely scenario will have an OL be the first round target in the 2015 draft, probably an OT to replace Whitworth.

4. QB - Yes, by far the most controversial. I wouldn't take one in the first round unless a franchise guy unexpectedly fell in my lap (I'd pass on Manziel), but I would very much like to see the Bengals take a QB in round 2, 3, or 4 in order to challenge Dalton. Not threaten him, mind you, but challenge him. I'm not yet sure if Dalton is the answer for the remainder of this decade, but I'm not ready to fold on him either. If the Bengals were to take a QB in rounds 2-4, at worst they'd get a viable backup, and at best they'd have a new QB. Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick, as well as Andy Dalton, are all recent examples of franchise QB that were taken in these rounds. Nick Foles and Mike Glennon appear well on their way to joining that list shortly.

5. WR - I'm still not convinced we have a proper #2 WR (think TJ Houshmandzadeh), which is something we need with Dalton's inconsistent play. Jones has been good in spurts but strikes me more as a #3, Sanu unreliable at best, and Baby Hawk is moving quickly into irrelevancy. Clemson's Sammy Watkins (who I'll see play tomorrow) is the highest rated today - I'd pass on Marquise Lee as I wouldn't take a USC WR - but that could change in the coming months. Either way this is probably a Day 3 issue.
    I'd say OG, S, and CB are positions of greatest need. The interior of the OL has had trouble both in maintaining the front of the pocket and opening holes up the middle for the running game. S has been such a problem that the Bengals keep having to bring back Chris Crocker. And CB has some questions coming in the next season. Beyond those positions, I'd like to see them get a genuine fullback. Of course, what I like about the Bengals' drafts lately is that they don't rigidly hold to a needs-based draft. If a guy falls to them they have rated high, they draft him. They definitely seem to be tuned to making quality picks rather than making reaches at the top of the draft to fill a need.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'd say OG, S, and CB are positions of greatest need. The interior of the OL has had trouble both in maintaining the front of the pocket and opening holes up the middle for the running game. S has been such a problem that the Bengals keep having to bring back Chris Crocker. And CB has some questions coming in the next season. Beyond those positions, I'd like to see them get a genuine fullback. Of course, what I like about the Bengals' drafts lately is that they don't rigidly hold to a needs-based draft. If a guy falls to them they have rated high, they draft him. They definitely seem to be tuned to making quality picks rather than making reaches at the top of the draft to fill a need.
    Agreed on the recent quality of the Bengals drafts - the Kirkpatrick pick aside.

On safety, I agree the Bengals have continued to fail to find an acceptable SS to play alongside Nelson, who I think has been very good, at FS. Problem is in this year's draft, the only safety worthy of a first round grade at this point is HaHa Clinton-Dix, a Free Safety from Alabama - two things the Bengals DON'T need. Bama picks have not been faring well in the pros lately, and there is a lot of chatter that these guys are beaten up and more of a product of Saban's system than anything else. Consider first round picks Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Dre Kirkpatrick, Dee Milliner, Courtney Upshaw, etc. It's been a while since we've seen a great (non-lineman) NFL player drafted out of Alabama. Maybe Mark Barron, who ironically plays safety, could buck the trend. Maybe Clinton-Dix could in this year's draft. Problem is he plays the same spot as Nelson.

That said, if we could get a great strong safety like Polamalu or Earl Thomas, I'd be all over it. I'm just not sure that exists in this year's draft. The time to do it was last year's draft, with Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid, and Jonathan Cyprien. Plus, Iloka isn't horrible.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-22-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I could see Leon Hall sliding to safety next year.

I still think Dre Kirkpatrick will be fine. He's been sitting behind quality players, and I don't think he's played that badly now that's he's getting an opportunity.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

What are your hesitations about USC WRs? If Lee fell to the end of the first round I would be happy with that choice. He would be a great field stretcher along with Green.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

If Logan Thomas is still there in the 5th-6th round, I'd be all over him. Jeff Mathews, too.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

They are not going to waste an early pick on a starting caliber QB in the draft.

5th-6th round maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    What are your hesitations about USC WRs? If Lee fell to the end of the first round I would be happy with that choice. He would be a great field stretcher along with Green.
    USC has produced nothing but disappointments over the last several seasons.

Reggie Bush has been decent, but who was the last USC skill player to meet or exceed expectations?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    They are not going to waste an early pick on a starting caliber QB in the draft.

5th-6th round maybe.
    I don't think taking a QB in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round would be wasting a pick. At all.
    Go BLUE!!!

You might not, but I am willing to wager the Bengals organization does not agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    You might not, but I am willing to wager the Bengals organization does not agree with you.
    If Dalton plays like he has in his first two postseason games, even the Bengals would have to consider taking a QB early in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    If Dalton plays like he has in his first two postseason games, even the Bengals would have to consider taking a QB early in the draft.
    Mike. Brown.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?