Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

This was a good read. Mike Brown, the man, the mystery, the enigma wrapped in a riddle, the now owner of a winning franchise.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

This doesn't sound like Mike Brown has changed much:

“I know my track record,” he says quietly. “It is what it is. I wish it had a few more bright spots on it. But I can’t do anything to right the record. I have the record I have. So, yeah, I’d like to see the record have a star on it somewhere.”
    I'd rather he'd said "I've learned a lot from those days and there's no way we're going back them. I won't allow it and I'll work my tail off to see that we stay on top."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This doesn't sound like Mike Brown has changed much:

I'd rather he'd said "I've learned a lot from those days and there's no way we're going back them. I won't allow it and I'll work my tail off to see that we stay on top."

That quote sounds like something Bob Castellini would say, and if he said it, it would be 100% right.
    But if Mike Brown said it, it would honestly sound odd and inauthentic.

But I don't think that means Castellini cares more than Mike Brown.

Ultimately, I simply want the owner to care about winning as much as I do, and to put intelligent people in the best position to direct the team.

And ultimately, I've come to the conclusion that I am in no place to judge how much an owner cares about winning, so I try not to make judgements based on superficial comments about how much he "cares." There's plenty of room for judgements on the decisions he makes without having to try to decipher some statement he makes to the press.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

This Sunday will be pretty interesting from a rooting perspective, and it will all depend on how the New England/Miami game (at 1:00 PM) turns out.

If Miami wins: The Bengals will control their own destiny as far as getting the 2 seed. They won't be able to clinch with a win Sunday night, but if they were to win they would be able to clinch the division with a Baltimore loss at Detroit on Monday night. (If the Bengals lost on Sunday night, though, and Baltimore won on Monday, then we would have to start to sweat even making the playoffs.)

If New England wins: The Bengals would be able to clinch a playoff spot with a win on Sunday night.

Either way, there will be a lot on the line on Sunday night (but not so much that our season is over if they lose). Personally I will root for the Patriots on Sunday afternoon. The Bengals were just too bad for too long for me to take making the playoffs for granted, so I just want Miami to lose so we can be closer to clinching a wild card. If they clinch a playoff birth, I'll worry about seeding then.

Next week New England plays Baltimore, so that should be really interesting depending on how things shake out.

One good thing is that, no matter what happens over the next 2 weeks, they can still win the division by beating Baltimore in Week 17. If the division comes down to that game, it will probably be flexed to Sunday night, so in a way they have at least clinched playing in a playoff-like game.

Who dey.

6. Likes:

Benihana (12-15-2013),Boss-Hog (12-13-2013)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post

One good thing is that, no matter what happens over the next 2 weeks, they can still win the division by beating Baltimore in Week 17. If the division comes down to that game, it will probably be flexed to Sunday night, so in a way they have at least clinched playing in a playoff-like game.

Who dey.
    No offense, but if it comes down to week 17, I have no faith in the Bengals pulling it off. That would be an epic collapse and would tell me that the Bengals choked and the Ravens caught fire at the right time.

I think the Bengals clinch tomorrow. Just hoping for a first round bye and not having to face the Ravens first round if we don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    No offense, but if it comes down to week 17, I have no faith in the Bengals pulling it off. That would be an epic collapse and would tell me that the Bengals choked and the Ravens caught fire at the right time.
    It wouldn't have to be an "epic" collapse--in fact, all the Bengals would have to do is lose at Pittsburgh. I know it is a down year for the Steelers, but the Bengals are only favored by 2, and winning there is never easy.

After that, even if the Bengals beat Minnesota, the Ravens would still be alive for the division in Week 17 if they win out. Admittedly, that would mean the Ravens were hot, but the Bengals are good at home. And they beat Pittsburgh last year on the road in a huge game with a playoff berth on the line, so they are capable of winning big games.

I think the Bengals clinch tomorrow. Just hoping for a first round bye and not having to face the Ravens first round if we don't.
    They cannot clinch the division tomorrow--only a wild card birth. They can only clinch the division with a win on Sunday night, and a Baltimore loss on Monday night.

And ironically, the only way they can clinch a wild card birth is if New England beats Miami at 1:00 PM, which lessens the chances of your other wish--a first round bye.

Is it possible I have spent too much time playing with the ESPN playoff scenario generator?

Why folks spin their wheels in the cesspool of playoff scenarios with their team in an "on any given Sunday" type of league is beyond me. The Bengals are 9-4 and in a good position. They will probably win one of the last three and they will have a playoff game. Seeding is out of their control and even with only three games left, there are tons of combinations. I find better things to do, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Why folks spin their wheels in the cesspool of playoff scenarios with their team in an "on any given Sunday" type of league is beyond me. The Bengals are 9-4 and in a good position. They will probably win one of the last three and they will have a playoff game. Seeding is out of their control and even with only three games left, there are tons of combinations. I find better things to do, personally.
    Like reply to a post about playoff scenarios?

12. Likes:

Benihana (12-15-2013)

Who is this? Teddy Bruschi?

Can we get over that this is the typical Bengals team?

I remember those underachieving 1983-87 teams...... those misfit and stupid 2005-07 Bengals teams.

This is not them. Sure they could still lose another game......and I guess if they do not win 1 playoff game they still are the SOB. But I do not see that in this team......they overcome things like no other Bengals team I have seen.

And...in regards to bruschi. He sure seems like a big time ***** who is seriously making me wonder what his agenda is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Like reply to a post about playoff scenarios?
    That's the first time anyone has ever caught on to that.

I'm rooting for the 2 seed. I'd like to see the Dolphins, Lions and obv the Bengals win this week.

16. Likes:

RiverRat13 (12-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That quote sounds like something Bob Castellini would say, and if he said it, it would be 100% right.
    But if Mike Brown said it, it would honestly sound odd and inauthentic.

But I don't think that means Castellini cares more than Mike Brown.

Ultimately, I simply want the owner to care about winning as much as I do, and to put intelligent people in the best position to direct the team.

And ultimately, I've come to the conclusion that I am in no place to judge how much an owner cares about winning, so I try not to make judgements based on superficial comments about how much he "cares." There's plenty of room for judgements on the decisions he makes without having to try to decipher some statement he makes to the press.
    To me if you care about winning you don't hang onto underperforming coaches as long as he did with David Shula and others. If he cared a lot about winning he would have tried to keep Boomer as our QB when he was playing well after replacing Jeff Blake. I could go on and on but that'd be rehashing a lot of junk. Of course MB cares about winning. Every owner does but he doesn't care enough to do the things that need to be done in order to win big and consistently

With tonight's game it's important to remember that road games against AFC North opponents are always tough.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Phins take the lead!

Turn Off Ads?