Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    61 yd FG was flukish and lucky and last week required referee assistance to secure the win. Lions couldn't get out of their own way including Megatron dropping several balls, a no call PI in the endzone and the dropped 2-pt conversion.

That's why I call the Lions "Cinci-lite" They are a completely inept franchise that folds even more predictably in the bright lights than our beloved Bengals.
    The dropped 2 pt conversion was a non factor. The pass was late and poorly thrown. Megatron would have played hell trying to get both feet in bounds even if he caught it cleanly

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm saying that when the Bengals are the only game on, they are 2-8 over their last 10. Coincidence? Sure,it could be. But it is what it is.
    "It is what it is" is another one of those dandy, meaningless cliches. Maybe its just that the Bengals are a pretty good but not great team, and its a mere random sample of 10 games when they "are the only game on" and one should not take much from such a thing, anymore than a carve out of "day vs. night," "grass vs. turf," and other such meaningless distinctions that take up space on stat sheets and give announcers something to babble on about.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

We've had to win our way into the playoffs before. We'll do it again this year.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There was a lot more to that game than that. There were penalties, turnovers and overall poor play. It's what losing teams do

That pretty much describes every game played in the NFL. This one was kind of different in that the outcome was pretty much determined based on the best WR in the NFL dropping an easy pass and a kicker hitting a 61-yard FG.

The point is that through all the poor play, turnovers, and penalties it boiled down to a dropped pass and an historic play for the Lions to lose.

As a Bengal fan, I just want my team to win first and foremost...and they should vs a dome team playing outside in December who's winless on the road. Then I'll just enjoy the NE-Balt game. If the Ravens win, I'll be happy 'cause my team has a shot at the #2 seed. If they lose, I'll be happy with the AFC North title. Thinking longterm, the best thing for our Bengals is for the Ravens to win and for our Bengals to beat them in week 17. Let's face it, the only way for our team to go far in the playoffs is to get the #2 seed. They can't make a run against playoff caliber teams on the road. They just aren't that good. But I don't feel good about them winning an all or nothing game on the final Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm saying that when the Bengals are the only game on, they are 2-8 over their last 10. Coincidence? Sure,it could be. But it is what it is.
    And what does this mean? The Bengals just don't play well when they can't channel surf? Or maybe they miss the redzone highlights during the game.

When were the last time the Bengals were actually the "bungles" as the media loves to call them? When was the last time they lost a game the absolutely shouldn't have? When was the last time they collapsed late in the season? I hope they continue to play like they have this season and bounce back big time. The same people who like to call the Bengals the bungles are the same people who called Eli elite.

8. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-17-2013),traderumor (12-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    That pretty much describes every game played in the NFL. This one was kind of different in that the outcome was pretty much determined based on the best WR in the NFL dropping an easy pass and a kicker hitting a 61-yard FG.

The point is that through all the poor play, turnovers, and penalties it boiled down to a dropped pass and an historic play for the Lions to lose.
    The Lions threw 3 INTs and one put the Ravens in FG position which they converted. Detroit was behind for almost the entire 2nd half. There was a drive in the 2nd qtr where the Ravens got into FG range thanks to a personal foul and PI penalty. Another FG drive was extended due to a defenseless receiver PF on 3rd and long. It was Detroit mistakes time and time again that gave the game away. This is what losing teams do and believe me, being a Bengal fan, I know what I'm talking about here...

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    And what does this mean? The Bengals just don't play well when they can't channel surf? Or maybe they miss the redzone highlights during the game.
    You're in serious denial. hence the jokes. But it's ok, we've all been there at one time or another. When a former player makes the kind of comment Rodney Harrison made, it's not the media giving a misinformed opinion. It's a veteran player saying what the Bengals reputation is around the league. Until they start winning games like these, it will remain their reputation, and deservedly so.

Just please stop pretending these Sunday night/Monday night games are just another game. I've heard players all my life talk about how special those games are, because it's the only game being played and the rest of the league is watching. Then when it's a late season game too, with playoff implications, it becomes even bigger. Much bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    You're in serious denial. hence the jokes. But it's ok, we've all been there at one time or another. When a former player makes the kind of comment Rodney Harrison made, it's not the media giving a misinformed opinion. It's a veteran player saying what the Bengals reputation is around the league. Until they start winning games like these, it will remain their reputation, and deservedly so.

Just please stop pretending these Sunday night/Monday night games are just another game. I've heard players all my life talk about how special those games are, because it's the only game being played and the rest of the league is watching. Then when it's a late season game too, with playoff implications, it becomes even bigger. Much bigger.
    Quit throwing out meaningless stats. Some games are bigger than others. But some of the stuff is thrown out there just for giggles. Does it matter what the Bengals record is when games are played when they are the only ones on? Last season the Bengals played the Eagles in a Thursday night game when the Eagles were awful, is that really a primetime game? Is that more of a primetime game than a week 17 matchup last season against the Ravens?

How about this season, the Bengals are 1-2 in primetime. Why is one primetime game much more important than another. The Bengals beat the Steelers are home and lost on the road in primetime, why does one matter more than the other? You know what may be the most important game of the season? A week 16 matchup against a bad Vikings team. Does it matter that it is played at 1 in the afternoon instead of primetime?

If you want to bring up playoff records then that is fair, they are 0-4 under Marvin, a hump he needs to get over. Truth be told big time matchups are what I care about, not what time the game is on. Truth be told saying "the Bengals don't win these games" is lazy. Its lazy considering last year the Bengals went into Pittsburgh in a winner take all matchup and won. Its lazy considering the Bengals this season beat the likes of Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, Big Ben, and Stafford. Its lazy considering the Bengals have made the playoffs in each of the past 2 seasons and are on the cusp of it now. So I am sorry if you think I am in denial that games matter more depending on what time they are played.
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 12-17-2013 at 10:14 AM.

12. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (12-17-2013)

There's more than one person trolling this thread.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post

Because Rodney Harrison's opinion is representative of the league's opinion is a problem with the opinion that is not based on factual information, so why should a Bengals fan care? Are they not able to get top shelf players? Are they not able to sign draft picks? Is anything about their business suffering by boneheads continuing to hold an inaccurate and false opinion about a franchise?

Speaking of Eli, I still remember when he refused to go to the Chargers because they had a bad reputation at the time. I think the Chargers have been a reasonably solid franchise going forward from that and Phillip Rivers is a good NFL QB. In fact, it really wasn't even true, the "expert" Manning's had a false opinion of a franchise. Perhaps you should spend more time forming your own thoughtful opinions instead of parroting whatever the talking heads say, who have the goal of pandering to the right people, whether what they say is true or not.

So if Baltimore beats the Pats on Sunday, and the Bengals win out, we get the 2 seed still, correct?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    So if Baltimore beats the Pats on Sunday, and the Bengals win out, we get the 2 seed still, correct?
    Yes.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Crazy scenario. If Baltimore beat the Pats and the Bengals beat the Vikings, the Bengals secure the #2 seed with a win over Baltimore in week 17, but possibly don't even make the playoffs with a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Crazy scenario. If Baltimore beat the Pats and the Bengals beat the Vikings, the Bengals secure the #2 seed with a win over Baltimore in week 17, but possibly don't even make the playoffs with a loss.
    Without looking at all the scenarios, I imagine the "don't make the playoffs" scenario is not very likely on the probability scale.

Turn Off Ads?