Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 68 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion (Part 3)

By the way, from yesterday's Packers/Steelers game:

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    By the way, from yesterday's Packers/Steelers game:
    What's wrong with trying to decapitate someone? I mean, it's football. In all seriousness, whoever that was should be suspended a game just for his attempt to take that guys head off.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-27-2013)

Oh, come on, he clearly slipped on the frozen tundra. That was an accidental attempt at decapitation. And he pulled up when he slid. Only Steelers players have that supernatural ability. No Steelers player would intentionally be head hunting. From their honest coach to their QB who points at the sky after a score....they really should be trading names with the Saints.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-27-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    What's wrong with trying to decapitate someone? I mean, it's football. In all seriousness, whoever that was should be suspended a game just for his attempt to take that guys head off.
    I cannot believe I am defending the Steelers, but for those watching that game it involved a tad more than we see in that short clip. IIRC Matt Flynn was kinda/sorta going to go down a few yards earlier... hesitated for a brief second... then decided he could gain about 5 more yards. If he did that against the Bengals defense, I know I would be calling to take Flynn's head off on the next scramble. I am not saying it is right to decapitate him, but it is one of "those things" in the NFL. You want to be protected like a pregnant woman, then get your butt on the ground and do not screw around when doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I cannot believe I am defending the Steelers, but for those watching that game it involved a tad more than we see in that short clip. IIRC Matt Flynn was kinda/sorta going to go down a few yards earlier... hesitated for a brief second... then decided he could gain about 5 more yards. If he did that against the Bengals defense, I know I would be calling to take Flynn's head off on the next scramble. I am not saying it is right to decapitate him, but it is one of "those things" in the NFL. You want to be protected like a pregnant woman, then get your butt on the ground and do not screw around when doing it.
    The hit is the kind of hit the NFL wants to do away with. He leads with his helmet, shoulder, and forearm. If he makes contact Flynn's head is going to snap back and hit the turf, whether or not he sustains a concussion can't be determined. If you want to stop plays like this from happening he should be fined heavily.

IMO the NFL needs to get rid of "senseless violent hits." This would be a prime example of something that just doesn't need to happen.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-27-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The hit is the kind of hit the NFL wants to do away with. He leads with his helmet, shoulder, and forearm. If he makes contact Flynn's head is going to snap back and hit the turf, whether or not he sustains a concussion can't be determined. If you want to stop plays like this from happening he should be fined heavily.

IMO the NFL needs to get rid of "senseless violent hits." This would be a prime example of something that just doesn't need to happen.
    I agree. However (and I am going on memory as I watched a lot of NFL yesterday), I believe Flynn "screwing around" was part of the reason for what the short video shows. That defensive player might have been hitting Flynn's legs if not for that "last second get down move" by Flynn. Not to mention Flynn's "I am going down and then change of mind to get down right away" led to what you see in the video. IIRC the refs did not throw a flag for what we see in that video b/c they too saw the whole play.

Did he even hit Flynn in that clip? It looked like a whiff to me, though I guess maybe the forearm grazed Flynn's helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Yes, that sounds about right, and it was so hilariously awful that you couldn't help being totally amused by it, LOL
    Better than some of the Super Bowl halftime shows they've had in recent years.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Did he even hit Flynn in that clip? It looked like a whiff to me, though I guess maybe the forearm grazed Flynn's helmet.
    It was a whiff, but he's lucky he did. If he had connected with Flynn, there's a very real chance he would have been carted off the field in a neckbrace. Launching yourself head first at someone is a good way to end up with a spinal cord injury.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Nope, he whiffed. But if your the NFL you don't want near misses like this. You don't want a defensive player launching himself at a sliding QB like that. I would venture to say that it was by a matter of inches that Flynn wasn't given a concussion. The more I watch it (granted it is a short clip) the dirtier it looks to me.

You can't come to any conclusions on the basis of that clip. The NFL is so fast...when did the QB start to slide; when did the defender leave his feet; It's entirely possible that the defender was aiming to hit the QB in the belly button. I don't know where the NFL defenders are supposed to hit anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You can't come to any conclusions on the basis of that clip. The NFL is so fast...when did the QB start to slide; when did the defender leave his feet; It's entirely possible that the defender was aiming to hit the QB in the belly button. I don't know where the NFL defenders are supposed to hit anymore
    He made himself into a projectile, which is what they are making rules to penalize over the last several years. BTW, the NFL expects the referee to make a judgment on this in real time without aid of a GIF file. Which is why it is so inconsistent.

19. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (12-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    New England losing to Buffalo at home next Sunday seems pretty unlikely, so it looks like we are locked into the 3 seed and will host the 6 seed.

The scenarios for who winds up with the 6 seed are fascinating and confusing. To my knowledge, none of the teams tied at 8-7 have "win and you're in" scenarios. They all need a win and help.

Edit: If the Bengals lose and the Colts win, we would slip to the 4 seed and host Kansas City.
    I'd take KC at home, they are going the wrong direction since playing some competition.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'd take KC at home, they are going the wrong direction since playing some competition.
    I'm not afraid of playing any team in the NFL at Paul Brown Stadium. Away from that building is a different story.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Tony Romo done for the year.

I hate the Cowboys and couldn't wait to see their season come to another crashing conclusion, but I didn't want to see it happen like this.

Turn Off Ads?