Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone live in the Cleveland/Akron/North Canton area?

Does anyone live in the Cleveland/Akron/North Canton area?

Good Afternoon Y'all.

I have lived in Charlotte for the past 3 years, but recently took a job in North Canton with my current company. My wife and I both grew up in Toledo, OH and have friends that live in the Lakewood/Rocky River area of Cleveland so we are excited about moving back to Ohio.

My wife is a school counselor, but as of right now has no idea if/where she will be working at the beginning of next school year. I will be working in North Canton for at least the first couple years. We would like to live in Lakewood/Rocky River, but I think that would be too much of a commute to North Canton every day. We want to be in Cleveland, as my wife will most likely get a job with Cleveland Public Schools, and living in North Canton, sounds crappy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on eastern/southeastern areas around Cleveland?

My search criteria is as follows:

Good public schools
    Safe

I have looked into Shaker Heights a little bit, but I know very little about it. I have friends that grew up in Aurora, Chagrin Falls, and Hudson - but those may be a little too expensive of areas.

Any help/advise you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

We are so excited about moving back to Ohio!

Thank you very much in advance!

Mike

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does anyone live in the Cleveland/Akron/North Canton area?

My in-laws live in the Jackson School District. It really isn't that far from I-77. My wife went to school at Jackson High School. There is a lot of money going into that district and from an outsiders point of view it is very nice.

No advice for you Mike, but best of luck to you and the missus.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

5. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-11-2013)

"will whomever spotted the people throwing the snowballs onto the field point them out! We don't live in Cleveland, we live in Cincinnati!"

Seriously, I have some family on my wife's side who live in Jackson as well, kids go to (or graduated) from Jackson schools, and I believe they like the schools and area. They both grew up in the canton area with parents who worked at Timken, so when they bought their house, the were well informed. I dont get up there often, but seems to be a good amount of development in that area.

Both of my parents grew up in the Akron/Stow area, still have a lot of family in the Akron area. I dont recall all the specific spots they live in, I think most are Bath and Fairlawn?? Both seem like good areas w/ a decent amount of development.

Neither is too far away from Cleveland. Don't know anything about Cleveland specifically.

Hey Mike, I live in Stow and have lived in various parts of the Akron/Cleveland area for most of my life. With you working in North Canton and your wife looking at working in Cleveland, you might consider looking to live in Northern Summit County. There are quite a few communities that meet your criteria of good schools and safe. Ohio Route 8 is nice for commuting because it's a limited access highway all the way from I-271 in the north to I-77 in the south, with access to the Ohio Turnpike to get you to the West Side of Cleveland/Cuyahoga County.

I like Stow. The schools are rated pretty high and it's safe, easy access to Rt. 8, and it's right next door to Hudson, which has an old New England-style downtown with a development of new shops and restaurants tucked behind the old-timey stores on the main square. It's also next to Kent, which is the hip college town that has undergone a huge renaissance of downtown development in the last 5 years.

I spent my formative years in Cuyahoga Falls, which is also safe, although there are some dodgy areas as well. You can also find affordable living in Tallmadge, Twinsburg, Macedonia, Boston Heights, and Richfield. Hudson is really nice and has great public schools, but the local property taxes to pay for the schools are high.

Cuyahoga County taxes are higher than other counties. They have to pay the debt on building Progressive Field, the Q, and First Energy Field.

Shaker Heights is nice, but the commute to North Canton will not be fun. Aurora and Chagrin Falls are expensive and are also rough commutes to North Canton.

If you wanted to live closer to North Canton, Green is up and coming. On the west side of Summit County, Fairlawn is nice. Bath township is nice but expensive (LeBron James still has a house there).

Well, there are plenty of other places I could go through. If you want to know more about any place you're considering, let me know.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

8. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-13-2013)

On a side note, which may be a pro or a con depending on your thoughts on Cincinnati Chili, Stow has a Skyline franchise.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    On a side note, which may be a pro or a con depending on your thoughts on Cincinnati Chili, Stow has a Skyline franchise.
    Thank you so much for your response, it is very helpful and you have provided some places to start looking. The plan is for me to move up after Thanksgiving and stay with a friend for a couple weeks until I can find a small apartment to stay in until my wife moves up in June. In the meantime I am going to do a lot of scouting out of areas and you have provided a fantastic jumping off point.

I had a very bad experience with Skyline Chili at Miami U in Oxford, OH. I took a bite out of a chili dog and as I pulled it away from my mouth a really long hair slowly came out and hung from my mouth. It was very clear that the young woman behind the counter put it lengthwise in the bun on purpose. I walked up to the counter, threw the chili dog down and said "My money back - NOW" and have not eaten Skyline since. I will never forget it, she made it pretty obvious she did it on purpose, did not apologize and seemed to enjoy the fact I was angry.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 11-13-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Thank you so much for your response, it is very helpful and you have provided some places to start looking. The plan is for me to move up after Thanksgiving and stay with a friend for a couple weeks until I can find a small apartment to stay in until my wife moves up in June. In the meantime I am going to do a lot of scouting out of areas and you have provided a fantastic jumping off point.

I had a very bad experience with Skyline Chili at Miami U in Oxford, OH. I took a bite out of a chili dog and as I pulled it away from my mouth a really long hair slowly came out and hung from my mouth. It was very clear that the young woman behind the counter put it lengthwise in the bun on purpose. I walked up to the counter, threw the chili dog down and said "My money back - NOW" and have not eaten Skyline since. I will never forget it, she made it pretty obvious she did it on purpose, did not apologize and seemed to enjoy the fact I was angry.
    Well, I can understand your reluctance. The owners of the Stow franchise are really nice, so i don't think they'll put hair in your food. Stow also has a killer hole-in-the wall place for NY Style pizza. And if you feel the urge for Carolina BBQ, there is a local franchise called Old Carolina BBQ with store in Stow. Granted it's probably not going to beat out some of the roadside joints in NC (the best places always seem to be roadside joints), but it's a pretty good facsimile thereof, and they put in the effort by making their own cole slaw, hush puppies, and Brunswick stew. They also truck in Cheerwine from NC, which I'm not into, but I hear they go nuts for in NC.

One question is, what is your tolerance for snow? Be aware that the farther north and east you go, the further you get into the Snow Belt. Summit County isn't too bad in that regard. Eastern Cuyahoga, Geauga, and Lake Counties are the worst for that. If you have high performance tires on your car, I'd suggest replacing then with a nice set of all-seasons. I bought a car once and didn't realize the trim level I bought came with high performance tires until the first snow and I could barely keep the car on the road.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 11-13-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Well, I can understand your reluctance. Stow also has a killer hole-in-the wall place for NY Style pizza. And if you feel the urge for Carolina BBQ, there is a local franchise called Old Carolina BBQ with store in Stow. Granted it's probably not going to beat out some of the roadside joints in NC (the best places always seem to be roadside joints), but it's a pretty good facsimile thereof, and they put in the effort by making their own cole slaw, hush puppies, and Brunswick stew. They also truck in Cheerwine from NC, which I'm not into, but I hear they go nuts for in NC.

One question is, what is your tolerance for snow? Be aware that the farther north and east you go, the further you get into the Snow Belt. Summit County isn't too bad in that regard. Eastern Cuyahoga, Geauga, and Lake Counties are the worst for that. If you have high performance tires on your car, I'd suggest replacing then with a nice set of all-seasons. I bought a car once and didn't realize the trim level I bought came with high performance tires until the first snow and I could barely keep the car on the road.
    Carolina BBQ is fantastic, but I grew up loving Tony Packo's, German, polish, and greek food so I miss that.

I grew up in Toledo and very comfortable with snow. Shouldn't be a problem for me.

Good advice on the all season tires though...I am not sure what kind of tires are on my Tucson.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Carolina BBQ is fantastic, but I grew up loving Tony Packo's, German, polish, and greek food so I miss that.

I grew up in Toledo and very comfortable with snow. Shouldn't be a problem for me.

Good advice on the all season tires though...I am not sure what kind of tires are on my Tucson.
    Oh man, I loves me some Tony Packo's. I live in Bowling Green for a few years and would head up to Tony Packo's every so often. Last year, I had to pick up my parents and my son from the airport in Detroit and demanded we stop there on the way home.

If you like German, Polish, and Greek food, you're in for a treat when it's summer festival season. The Akron and Cleveland area has some really good ethnic festivals with plenty of tasty food. My favorite is the German Family Society in Brimfield, which has European Bierfest in June/July and an Oktoberfest in September.

Oh man, I loves me some Tony Packo's. I live in Bowling Green for a few years and would head up to Tony Packo's every so often. Last year, I had to pick up my parents and my son from the airport in Detroit and demanded we stop there on the way home.

If you like German, Polish, and Greek food, you're in for a treat when it's summer festival season. The Akron and Cleveland area has some really good ethnic festivals with plenty of tasty food. My favorite is the German Family Society in Brimfield, which has European Bierfest in June/July and an Oktoberfest in September.
    Nice! When I was young my father would insist on taking my grandmother to Packos (the original East Side location) every weekend. Very fond memories.

I love german festivals. I went to the German American Festival in Oregon, OH (the Toledo festival really) every year until I moved to Charlotte. I cannot wait to start going every year again. Never thought I would miss Ohio this much, but I cannot wait to come home. I will def be going to the Bierfest and Oktoberfest!

I just wanted to add what my father in law has often told me. He said that in the Jackson there are a lot of people who commute to Cleveland but don't want to live in Cleveland. I don't know about the commute, it has taken us 45 minutes to drive from their house to downtown Cleveland but that has been on weekends. My wife has friends who live off of Route 8 near Akron and commute to Cleveland for their jobs.

I can't really speak to Cleveland, I have only been there a couple of times but never have been impressed. It is my understanding that few people live in the Cleveland area and most live in the suburbs. My cousin recently moved up into that area and chose Copley because it was in between his job and Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I just wanted to add what my father in law has often told me. He said that in the Jackson there are a lot of people who commute to Cleveland but don't want to live in Cleveland. I don't know about the commute, it has taken us 45 minutes to drive from their house to downtown Cleveland but that has been on weekends. My wife has friends who live off of Route 8 near Akron and commute to Cleveland for their jobs.

I can't really speak to Cleveland, I have only been there a couple of times but never have been impressed. It is my understanding that few people live in the Cleveland area and most live in the suburbs. My cousin recently moved up into that area and chose Copley because it was in between his job and Cleveland.
    Cleveland has done quite a bit to build new condos and housing units downtown, and the Ohio City/Tremont area on the West Side, and University Circle/Coventy area are popular with the young professionals and hipsters, but in many ways it's like Chicago. Living in the city is fun when you're young and single, but everyone moves out of the city when they start a family. The Cleveland public schools are bad and they've set up a voucher system, so a lot of people send their kids to Catholic school or move out.

I know little about Copley other than it's mostly a bedroom community for Akron, not much reason to go there unless you live there or your kid's sports team is going there for a game. It's next to Barberton, a.k.a. Barbertucky.

Good God the winters suck so bad. . . lived there for almost 4 years during law school at Case Western and was so freaking ready to head south when it was over.

I lived in Coventry/edge of Mayfield Heights and it was quite nice, it was sort of wild how you could go a couple blocks in the "wrong" direction and be in straight up hood territory, however.

They have done quite a bit to revitalize downtown, Cleveland still has tons of problems, however. Similar to Cincinnati in that regard, in many ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I lived in Coventry/edge of Mayfield Heights and it was quite nice, it was sort of wild how you could go a couple blocks in the "wrong" direction and be in straight up hood territory, however.
    ha, grew up in Toledo - know this aspect of a city.

Turn Off Ads?