Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will get Choo?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who will get Choo?

I predicted the Yankees long ago. Wasn't sure all along, but now again I think it will be the Yankees. Rumors of their interest are in the press today.

So that's my vote.

The Mets don't make as much sense. They should probably concentrate on younger players, especially in this high price range. Rumor is Granderson is a target.

The Astros are rumored but probably won't attract him.

I could easily see the Giants going after Choo, just think the Yankees' allure will be greater for him.

Reds a dark horse, sounds like they will really try.

But I vote Yankees. They may go younger and cheaper, but they won't resist this type of solid veteran. They usually pay for a veteran player when they think he is really good. With Granderson a FA, Choo makes sense for their outfield.

Choo will like the contract and the City.

Other views? Explain your answers.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-12-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Re: Who will get Choo?

Yankees, especially now that Granderson is gone and Beltran is looking for a 3-4 year deal. Reds give it a nice go. Rangers always a possibility.

The Mets say they won't go the years or dollars for the big name guys. I would guess they are out.

Sabean says the Giants don't want to lose their first round pick. Might consider it, if a player is a bargain later in FA. That likely takes them out.

Story is the Mariners want to make a splash.(Ellsbury) Maybe they would try to bring Choo back?

I think the Reds will really try. I also think Choo would really have to want to stay, because I can't see it unless the contract is backloaded/deferred. I agree it's a longshot.

The Yankees are my front runner to sign him as well.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

The Reds won't lose a first-round pick if they re-sign Choo, correct?

Just want to be sure.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

Just want to be sure.

They only get a pick if they lose him. Nothing happens if they can sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

Just want to be sure.
    Correct.

I'll go on record saying I don't want Choo back. I mean if we could sign him for 3 years to play LF, sure, I'm all over that. But I don't want another LTC with a player who is aging and already likely is borderline platoon player.

He was great this year. Seems like a pleasant dude. He hustles and 'plays the game the right way' But I don't want a 38 year old CFer who can't hit lefties making 22 million a season.

Good luck to him. Thanks for being a more recent version of Greg Vaughn, a one year talent for the Reds.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-12-2013),757690 (11-12-2013),BillDoran (11-13-2013),Boss-Hog (11-12-2013),nmculbreth (11-13-2013),Number_Fourteen (11-14-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (11-12-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (12-13-2013),redsfanmia (11-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'll go on record saying I don't want Choo back. I mean if we could sign him for 3 years to play LF, sure, I'm all over that. But I don't want another LTC with a player who is aging and already likely is borderline platoon player.

He was great this year. Seems like a pleasant dude. He hustles and 'plays the game the right way' But I don't want a 38 year old CFer who can't hit lefties making 22 million a season.

Good luck to him. Thanks for being a more recent version of Greg Vaughn, a one year talent for the Reds.
    Who will get Choo?

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-12-2013),bigredmechanism (11-17-2013)

Yankees seem primed to do this to me. Wish the Reds would step up, though I do hear those who have reservations about adding another LTC guy on the wrong side of 30. Choo is more than a platoon player though, IMO. He doesn't hit terribly well against lefties, but he still walks and works the count.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

MLB Trade Rumors keeps my hope alive:

Don't count the Reds out in the bidding for Shin-Soo Choo, even though the price tag could exceed $100MM. Cincinnati believes Billy Hamilton is ready to handle center field defensively, but they'd prefer he get more time in the minors to further refine his offense. If they re-sign Choo, they can have him handle center field for one more year and maybe transition him to a corner in 2015, opening up a spot for the speedy Hamilton.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    MLB Trade Rumors keeps my hope alive:
    I just don't see it as a possibility. He's gone. We've all been reading rumors of various trade scenarios, such as Phillips, maybe Bailey, and Arroyo is most likely gone to. And it's due to the fact that the Red's payroll is stretched to the limit. I've read rumors lately, and I don't know how true they are, that the ownership has even mandated payroll be trimmed.

But if they are in that type of situation, then, in reality, they have no intention of seriously trying to keep Choo.

It's gonna be an interesting off-season watching what this FO does because, again, they are at a crossroads and changes have to be made.

And while I like the kid, I'm just not too enthusiastic at seeing Hamilton leading off for us next year because I just don't think he is ready.

Instead of filling holes, addressing needs, we may be creating them as far as the 2014 season goes. It may very well come down to a FO letting the chips fall where they may with what we got, hoping it works out, certain players step up/meet expectations, and all because of payroll considerations. I hope I'm wrong.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

bengalsown (11-13-2013),joshua (11-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I just don't see it as a possibility. He's gone. We've all been reading rumors of various trade scenarios, such as Phillips, maybe Bailey, and Arroyo is most likely gone to. And it's due to the fact that the Red's payroll is stretched to the limit. I've read rumors lately, and I don't know how true they are, that the ownership has even mandated payroll be trimmed.

But if they are in that type of situation, then, in reality, they have no intention of seriously trying to keep Choo.

It's gonna be an interesting off-season watching what this FO does because, again, they are at a crossroads and changes have to be made.

And while I like the kid, I'm just not too enthusiastic at seeing Hamilton leading off for us next year because I just don't think he is ready.

Instead of filling holes, addressing needs, we may be creating them as far as the 2014 season goes. It may very well come down to a FO letting the chips fall where they may with what we got, hoping it works out, certain players step up/meet expectations, and all because of payroll considerations. I hope I'm wrong.
    I don't think you are too far wrong GAC. In other threads earlier I stated my own opinion was that 2014 was going to be rough. I don't think Walt will just blow things up but I also don't think he will replace the talent that is leaving with its' equivalent (at least not for 2014 - there may be young players coming in that will grow into bigger roles). It will be interesting to see what BP brings back (imo he is gone), whether Chapman starts, what they do with Bailey, whether they get Latos to extend (doubtful) and how they replace Choo. There is also the catching glut which almost certainly means a deal of somebody. One thing I am reasonably sure of is that there won't be high dollar contracts replacing the guys who leave. My biggest hope is any young guys they bring in are complementary to the kids they have for 2015/2016. I'll be surprised if Walt deals any of the main prospects like Stephenson, Lively, Ervin, Winker, YRod and SMB. Maybe one of the young outfielders in the right deal. People expecting a Granderson or even a Profar are going to be disappointed. I think any deals are going to be a lot less "sexy" than that.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I don't think you are too far wrong GAC. In other threads earlier I stated my own opinion was that 2014 was going to be rough. I don't think Walt will just blow things up but I also don't think he will replace the talent that is leaving with its' equivalent (at least not for 2014 - there may be young players coming in that will grow into bigger roles). It will be interesting to see what BP brings back (imo he is gone), whether Chapman starts, what they do with Bailey, whether they get Latos to extend (doubtful) and how they replace Choo. There is also the catching glut which almost certainly means a deal of somebody. One thing I am reasonably sure of is that there won't be high dollar contracts replacing the guys who leave. My biggest hope is any young guys they bring in are complementary to the kids they have for 2015/2016. I'll be surprised if Walt deals any of the main prospects like Stephenson, Lively, Ervin, Winker, YRod and SMB. Maybe one of the young outfielders in the right deal. People expecting a Granderson or even a Profar are going to be disappointed. I think any deals are going to be a lot less "sexy" than that.
    I think the above is pretty right on. I hope we're both wrong, and unless this FO really steps up and surprises us all, I think 2014 has the potential of being a down season (not a disaster) for Red fans.

They fired Baler. Fine. But as I stated in an earlier discussion there are no more scapegoats left for this FO.... other than the FO itself. But again - I think payroll constraints (obligations) are going to prevent them from really stepping up to the plate and addressing some of these concerns.

They had one of the best lead-off guys in MLB on this team this past season. And yet they didn't even really make a serious offer (effort), IMO, to try and keep him on this team. Sure - Boras is his agent, and he'll probably be getting one huge contract from the Yanks or someone; but again, we didn't really even try. And why? Payroll.

But we've lost a very important part of this team's offense (which was inconsistent last season), created another hole, and this FO is gonna plug Hamilton in there and see what happens.

I know it's early, and the 2014 season isn't here yet, and I sound like a bummer, but at this stage I'm not overly optimistic and it's all because of those constraints on their payroll.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

They had one of the best lead-off guys in MLB on this team this past season. And yet they didn't even really make a serious offer (effort), IMO, to try and keep him on this team. Sure - Boras is his agent, and he'll probably be getting one huge contract from the Yanks or someone; but again, we didn't really even try. And why? Payroll.
    I'm not sure I follow you here...

While Choo does definitely appear to be out of our price range, I'm not sure I understand the "lack of effort" assertion.

-Boras is his agent, so there was no hope of an extension before he tested the open market
    -As far as I know, he hasn't shut the door on a return to Cincinnati
    -He hasn't signed anywhere yet
    -Short of them publicly proclaiming they would beat anything offered, I'm not sure what effort they could have put in

I hear you, man. My realist side says pretty much the same thing. Where are you reading these rumors about payroll trimming and austerity in the Reds FO? MLBTR has been banging the "don't count Cincy out on Choo" drum for awhile now.

Turn Off Ads?