Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Who will get Choo?

"So Fla Red"

Re: Who will get Choo?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Asking $22M/per according to Ft Worth newspaper. I don't blame Walt at all.
    Pass, take the extra pick. Hope Choo ends up in the AL.

Inking Bailey and Latos (and one of Cueto/Leake) long term is the only sure-fire way to keep the Reds window open well past 2014. And that's where the focus needs to be for the FO.

Not signing Choo and dealing Philips should provide the payflex to get Latos/Bailey done. And maybe enough to keep Arroyo around for two years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Buhhhhhh Bye Choo

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Pass, take the extra pick. Hope Choo ends up in the AL.

Inking Bailey and Latos (and one of Cueto/Leake) long term is the only sure-fire way to keep the Reds window open well past 2014. And that's where the focus needs to be for the FO.

Not signing Choo and dealing Philips should provide the payflex to get Latos/Bailey done. And maybe enough to keep Arroyo around for two years.
    And what about the offense? Not sure how this team contends in 2014 or 2015 minus Choo and Phillips without any significant additions to the offense.

I agree with not signing Choo at that price. I disagree with trading Phillips (unless someone like Bautista is coming back).
    Go BLUE!!!

The only way I ever wanted to trade BP is if it means you could bring Choo back.

Moving BP and not re-signing Choo would be really bad, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

6. Likes:

757690 (12-12-2013),Always Red (12-12-2013),dfs (12-12-2013),mdccclxix (12-12-2013)

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 2m

TOTAL SPECULATION: But execs wonder if others going in diff directions opens #Astros to make strong run at Choo. Theory: GM Luhnow (cont)
    Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 2m

loves OBP/Choo's strength. Chance to push along rebuild/excite fans sooner. again, just execs from other clubs speculation. #astros
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

"So Fla Red"

The assumption here is that BP won't be given away, but traded to fill in one of the offensive gaps. And that 30M+ a year over the next four seasons without Choo and BP (or 40M/year over the next 2-3 if no Arroyo) would be used to maximize the Reds competitive window. If Walt can't fill some major gaps with 40M/year and trading chips such as BP and Chapman he should be looking for his retirement home.

Hopefully the Yankees are posturing on BP's contract and signing Infante.
    Last edited by oregonred; 12-12-2013 at 12:22 PM.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    And what about the offense? Not sure how this team contends in 2014 or 2015 minus Choo and Phillips without any significant additions to the offense.
    If Phillips is moved for say, Rasmus, I'd think a combination of Hamilton, Rasmus and Ludwick in CF and LF (with Schumaker at 2B) could get the job done.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Anyone else think Bronson Arroyo is waiting to sign until he finds out what league Choo is going to?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

11. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-12-2013),Chip R (12-12-2013),Larkin Fan (12-13-2013),lollipopcurve (12-12-2013),M2 (12-12-2013),PepperJack (12-12-2013),Red Raindog (12-12-2013),SirFelixCat (12-12-2013)

They call me "chef"

It must be hard for national sports writers to write countless articles about Choo and have to so expertly remove any mention or acknowledgment that the Cincinnati Reds is a real thing.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    It must be hard for national sports writers to write countless articles about Choo and have to so expertly remove any mention or acknowledgment that the Cincinnati Reds is a real thing.
    what would a minor league hockey team want with Choo?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The only way I ever wanted to trade BP is if it means you could bring Choo back.

Moving BP and not re-signing Choo would be really bad, IMO.
    Unless of course you trade Choo for Gardner. In 2010, 2011 and 2013, Gardner has overall been worth 2 more wins than BP. I left out 2012 because Gardner didn't play....but going forward, you'd probably get more value out of Gardner than BP, albeit not LOADS more.

Buster Olney is saying Houston now. You know $$$ is the only factor if the Stros are your choice.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Buster Olney is saying Houston now. You know $$$ is the only factor if the Stros are your choice.
    They're not as far away as people think, their farm is vastly improved and they've got tons of payroll to add more as they need to. So it's not really that far-fetched. It's also a nice park for him to hit in. And I don't think he'd have to play center either (added Dexter Fowler). Back to his more natural RF. And lastly...yes, they can definitely afford him.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    They're not as far away as people think, their farm is vastly improved and they've got tons of payroll to add more as they need to. So it's not really that far-fetched. It's also a nice park for him to hit in. And I don't think he'd have to play center either (added Dexter Fowler). Back to his more natural RF. And lastly...yes, they can definitely afford him.
    All good points, but Choo turns 32 around the all-star break. He doesn't have a lot of time left to chase a WS ring. Unless the Astros have the most loaded farm system in the league, or Houston suddenly becomes the destination for free agents, I don't see them making a playoff run anytime soon.

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-13-2013),Dom Heffner (12-12-2013),REDREAD (12-16-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Choo was traded for Ben Broussard back in 2005. I vaguely remember that but forgot how the Tribe ended up with him. What a great trade for the Indians.

Talk about Redszone going full circle.

Turn Off Ads?