Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will get Choo?

Re: Who will get Choo?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/b...johnson-111313

* The Reds haven’t given up on re-signing outfielder Shin-Soo Choo, but probably would need to trade second baseman Brandon Phillips and possibly right-hander Homer Bailey to create the necessary payroll room, sources said.

Phillips is a goner, Bailey a more difficult call. Lefty Tony Cingrani figures to replace free-agent right-hander Bronson Arroyo. A trade of Bailey, who is a year away from free agency, would require the Reds to move Aroldis Chapman to the rotation unless they acquired another starter.

All that might be too much to ask to accommodate the signing of a $100 million-plus free agent, but the Reds envision Choo playing center field for one more season before yielding to Billy Hamilton and moving to left. If they lose Choo, they likely would go with Hamilton and acquire a veteran complement in center.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have never seen reporters use phrases such as "_____ is a goner"

it is so bizarre how sure everyone is that Phillips is going to be traded. I cannot think of a similar case.

Today's press seems to say that the Yankees are more interested in Beltran. But Beltran may already be talking to Texas. So maybe Choo to the Yanks isn't so clear.

The Reds are really in a box. If they sign Choo, they apparently have to trade to open the salary room. And they will be limiting payflex for years to come with another huge LT contract, for Choo.

If they don't sign Choo, the already iffy offense gets worse unless the Reds add another major bat -- who will also cost.

And if they do make trades to open the door to Choo, the Reds may wind up depleting the pitching which can really hurt the team.

Probably most likely is that they don't sign Choo and try to replace him with several moderate cost players at various positions, but will those guys really replace such a terrific bat? Tough situation.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-14-2013 at 10:07 AM.

The Reds haven’t given up on re-signing outfielder Shin-Soo Choo, but probably would need to trade second baseman Brandon Phillips and possibly right-hander Homer Bailey to create the necessary payroll room, sources said.
    This is just crazy. I want Choo back, but not at that cost. That's creating two pretty big holes in the team to fill one.

If this is true, forget about signing someone like Infante to play 2b too.
    2b and a rotation slot would have to be filled on the cheap.
    Possibly we get a young cheap 2b in trading for Homer, but teams generally hold on to young/cheap starting pitching like gold.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

This is one of those cases where I'm positive Rosenthal doesn't have a clue of what he's writing about. My guess is he's heard the Reds are talking about Phillips and Bailey with other teams, who are in turn speculating the team needs to make those deals to keep Choo. I doubt he's heard anything directly from the Reds.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

bengalsown (11-14-2013),REDREAD (11-14-2013),Revering4Blue (11-14-2013),The Operator (11-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    This is one of those cases where I'm positive Rosenthal doesn't have a clue of what he's writing about. My guess is he's heard the Reds are talking about Phillips and Bailey with other teams, who are in turn speculating the team needs to make those deals to keep Choo. I doubt he's heard anything directly from the Reds.
    I agree, I think the payroll will likely go up if they really want Choo. I do think Phillips will be traded to make space, but Bailey is essentially like Choo was last year - a one year rental to try winning the WS.

I really don't see a stronger/cheaper option than keeping Bailey, if the Reds want to maintain a championship caliber rotation for next year.

That said, if Bailey brings back what some claim he can (a top 25 prospect that can start next year), perhaps they move his contract for that and try their luck on a Santana type reclamation project.

And of course the return for Phillips would need to help 2014 and beyond. Maybe a closer or young electric arm of some kind?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

My guess....

Brandon stays put.
    Homer signs a 3 year extension.
    Latos signs a 4 year extension.
    Choo signs a 3 year contract surprisingly lower than expected.

Bob significantly ups payroll. (those are all with the Reds btw)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    My guess....

Brandon stays put.

Late summer in Texas? The heat seems to be getting to ya big guy
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-14-2013),villain612 (11-14-2013)

My guess....

Brandon stays put.

That would certainly turn the media's conventional wisdom on its ear. One thing that may affect the entire free agent market is teams reluctant to part with a first round pick.

If Choo's market is soft and other QO free agents aren't getting offers, then players might decide to take the money from their current clubs, particularly if they're in a good situation. A lucrative known might trump an increasingly risky unknown.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

Chip R (11-14-2013)

My guess....

Brandon stays put.
    There is too much smoke. There are way too many writers using definite words like "Phillis is gone" for it not to happen. Never seen writers so sure of something before. It is bizarre.

15. Likes:

camisadelgolf (11-22-2013)

My guess....

Brandon stays put.

Would love for three and four to come to pass.

As for one, if they can get a solid return for Philips, I'm all for it. Homer? Really Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see himsigning before testing the market. If not then I'd consider dealing him but it needs to be for a very strong return.

I hope it is not the Reds if it is a 5-year deal that ties up huge amounts of payroll for his decline years. We are already full up on those, in my opinion. And this team doesn't have, obviously, the resources the Angels or Yankees do to carry such dead weight (and its not like that is working out for those teams either...)

My guess....

Brandon stays put.

Then we have the exact same team as last year. Still lacking bats.....

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Late summer in Texas? The heat seems to be getting to ya big guy
    Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

20. Likes:

REDREAD (11-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    Then we have the exact same team as last year. Still lacking bats.....
    Health is a big difference maker IMO.

Phillips, Hanny, Ludwick all dealt with injuries most all year long. But I'd be all for letting Ludwick become a 4th outfielder, Choo to left and Hamilton in center. Also Mesoraco getting the lions share of the PT. Keeping Cozart low in the order, getting Phillips out of the 4 hole. It may "seem" like shuffling the deck chairs...but when they're all piled up in a corner...shuffling those chairs can make a huge difference.

Turn Off Ads?