Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Who will get Choo?

Re: Who will get Choo?

If the Astros is the most viable alternative for Choo, he should take a bit less money and stay with the Reds, where he is happy and appreciated and can win.

If he asked the Reds for $100 million over six years, at this point they would probably bite -- seeing how the FA market has exploded.

I agree that it should be worth something to Choo to go to a winning team now even for less.

I guess if the Stros are offering Ellsbury money, then that's different. But c'mon Choo, stay home with the Reds.

2. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (12-15-2013),villain612 (12-13-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Buster Olney is saying Houston now. You know $$$ is the only factor if the Stros are your choice.
    Exactly. The Astros need everything. It will take three or four years just to be competitive,IMO. Unless they go out and sign an all star team this is. I really don't think Choo would sign with them. I believe he does want to win.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Astros Notes: Choo, Loney, Carp

By Charlie Wilmoth [December 13 at 9:50pm CST]

The Astros aren't likely to sign Shin-Soo Choo, Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle argues. They don't want to sacrifice the draft pick they'd have to give up in order to sign him (even though their top overall pick is protected). They might do so if Choo's price were low enough, but at this point, there's no reason to think Choo won't be very highly paid, which means that the Astros, interested though they are in adding big-league talent to a team that lost 111 games last year, probably won't be serious players. Drellich also notes that the Astros probably only have about $10MM left to spend for 2014, and want to add a first baseman and reliever with that money. Also, even acquiring a player of Choo's caliber wouldn't make the 2014 Astros a contending team. Signing Masahiro Tanaka would make more sense, Drellich argues, since Tanaka is only 25 and wouldn't cost a draft pick.

I just hope he ends up somewhere decent. Choo seems like a good guy who wanted to stay in Cinci, and he's choosing another team because he and Boras are going to make a lot more money elsewhere.

hopefully it's the AL.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    I just hope he ends up somewhere decent. Choo seems like a good guy who wanted to stay in Cinci, and he's choosing another team because he and Boras are going to make a lot more money elsewhere.

hopefully it's the AL.
    He chose Boras because he wanted buckets of money. He would only stay in Cincinnati, or sign elsewhere, for said buckets of money. He's from Korea so I don't think he cares where he plays in the US.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    He chose Boras because he wanted buckets of money. He would only stay in Cincinnati, or sign elsewhere, for said buckets of money. He's from Korea so I don't think he cares where he plays in the US.
    Looks like choosing Boras was a bad choice.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degr...165809610.html

According to this article, Boras turned down 7 years, $140M from the Yankees, and demanded more money. The Yankees then turned around and signed Beltran. Choo is doubtful to get 7 years from anyone else.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Choo was traded for Ben Broussard back in 2005. I vaguely remember that but forgot how the Tribe ended up with him. What a great trade for the Indians.

Talk about Redszone going full circle.
    Wow - so all the Reds had to do was trade Jeff Stevens and Ben Broussard for Brandon Phillips and Shin Soo-Choo prior to the 2006 season?

Talk about two moves that (could've) set the franchise up for the next decade! At least Krivsky actually did one of them.

Ben Broussard was a Redszone darling, later giving way to Chris Denorfia, Dave Sappelt, and of course, Chris Heisey. Redszone loves light-hitting replacement level OF.
    Go BLUE!!!

10. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Wow - so all the Reds had to do was trade Jeff Stevens and Ben Broussard for Brandon Phillips and Shin Soo-Choo prior to the 2006 season?

Talk about two moves that (could've) set the franchise up for the next decade! At least Krivsky actually did one of them.

Ben Broussard was a Redszone darling, later giving way to Chris Denorfia, Dave Sappelt, and of course, Chris Heisey. Redszone loves light-hitting replacement level OF.
    Have never understood that obsession.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-20-2013)

You forgot Chris Dickerson.

The only replacement-level player in that group is Sappelt though. The others were closer to average than replacement, with a couple pretty solid seasons spread among the group...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    You forgot Chris Dickerson.

The only replacement-level player in that group is Sappelt though. The others were closer to average than replacement, with a couple pretty solid seasons spread among the group...
    I wouldn't say I'm obsessed, but I still think Denorfia should have stayed a Red. Loved Dickerson, but he just couldn't ever stay healthy. I'm over Heisey at this point.

Broussard and Sappelt were never really on my radar in the same way as the others.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

They call me "chef"

There's nothing sexier than pure, never-to-be-realized potential.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (12-20-2013)

Denorfia can play, prospect defense force was 1000% on the money. Sure would have loved him in the two hole last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Denorfia can play, prospect defense force was 1000% on the money. Sure would have loved him in the two hole last year.
    Trading Deno for pitching was a good plan, but unfortunatly Wayne chose the wrong pitcher (again). Honestly, that sums up the demise of Wayne. He knew the club needed pitching, but usually chose the wrong target.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Trading Deno for pitching was a good plan, but unfortunatly Wayne chose the wrong pitcher (again). Honestly, that sums up the demise of Wayne. He knew the club needed pitching, but usually chose the wrong target.
    He sold completely low on Deno though.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (12-20-2013)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

One problem with that plan: Bowden dealt Broussard to San Diego in '02, while the Reds were still in the divisional race. Can't blame Krivsky for not cashing in on Broussard.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Turn Off Ads?