Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will get Choo?

Re: Who will get Choo?

Watching the free agent and trade market, I have come to believe the Reds should do everything possible to sign Choo. There is a financial limit, of course, but if it's possible I believe it's their best option.

I do not believe the Reds will improve by replacing Choo in the trade market. Phillips alone will not get a replacement. The big trade commodity will be pitching and weakening pitching is a mistake for this club.

I do not believe the Reds can likely replace Choo with cheaper free agent pickups, nor do I think they can replace him by acquiring a bunch of role players. They need the role players WITH Choo. Not instead of Choo.

If the Reds could get a comparable RH slugger of similar quality fine, but I just don't see that happening without a very high cost including pitching. And likely such a player doesn't have the CF-LF flexibility that Choo can provide while Hamilton gets ready either in AAA or as a fourth outfielder.

Free agent draft pick compensation could limit the bidding on Choo somewhat. The Reds do have this advantage and I hope they try to make it happen.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-25-2013 at 09:42 AM.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-25-2013),JMac84 (11-25-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Watching the free agent and trade market, I have come to believe the Reds should do everything possible to sign Choo. There is a financial limit, of course, but if it's possible I believe it's their best option.

I do not believe the Reds will improve by replacing Choo in the trade market. Phillips alone will not get a replacement. The big trade commodity will be pitching and weakening pitching is a mistake for this club.

I do not believe the Reds can likely replace Choo with cheaper free agent pickups, nor do I think they can replace him by acquiring a bunch of role players. They need the role players WITH Choo. Not instead of Choo.

If the Reds could get a comparable RH slugger of similar quality fine, but I just don't see that happening without a very high cost including pitching. And likely such a player doesn't have the CF-LF flexibility that Choo can provide while Hamilton gets ready either in AAA or as a fourth outfielder.

Free agent draft pick compensation could limit the bidding on Choo somewhat. The Reds do have this advantage and I hope they try to make it happen.
    David Freese got a great defensive, young, cheap CF.
    Ian Kinsler got an MVP candidate.

The trade market seems just fine to me. With patience, I'm sure the Reds can get what they need by shopping Phillips and Bailey.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    David Freese got a great defensive, young, cheap CF.
    Ian Kinsler got an MVP candidate.
    I agree with you that the Freese-Bourjos deal was a low-profile win for the Cards.

To that second maxim, you should probably add Ian Kinsler and a substantial chunk of change got an MVP candidate.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Yes, if Bailey is added the Reds might get someone.

So the Reds trade Bailey and Phillips and get, say, Bautista and a prospect or a role player.

Does that trade improve the Reds over last year? Bautista is added. No Choo. No Philiips. No Bailey. That's an improvement?

The Reds will have to trade pitching to get the significant offensive addition. That's why the trade route will likely weaken the team overall.

The Freese and Fielder trades are irrelevant. Freese smaller trade. Fielder huge dollars involved, not sure Reds would make that kind of deal.

Reds are best off signing Choo, keeping Bailey, adding role players.

Otherwise I fear the team will get worse. Assuming the Choo deal is within reason financially.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-25-2013 at 07:04 PM.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...medium=twitter

CINCINNATI -- There is no doubt that several teams -- the known and unknown -- pursuing free-agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo are finding out what the Reds learned last year during their due diligence.

There is no better leadoff hitter currently in the game that reaches base better than Choo. And that could very well be the reason he floats above the Reds' price threshold.

The question currently without an answer is how willing are the Reds to meet Choo's expected high salary demand -- one that has been widely speculated to reach $100 million with agent Scott Boras driving the train in negotiations. Would they pay an eight-figure annual salary? It would be difficult, but not impossible, to fathom Cincinnati going that high for Choo.

There are other larger market teams that wouldn't blink as much at such a price. Among the teams linked to Choo this winter have been the Yankees, Mets, Mariners, Tigers and Rangers.

On the other hand, the Yankees might be more inclined to pursue free agent Carlos Beltran, who is older at 36 and could take less years for a commitment. Seattle might prefer another free-agent leadoff hitter in Jacoby Ellsbury, who has regional ties being from Oregon. Texas just took a hit to its payroll by trading for first baseman Prince Fielder. Like the Reds, the Mets could pass on going up to nine figures for Choo.

The Reds have prospect Billy Hamilton waiting in the wings to potentially replace Choo, but they would prefer to bring the young speedster along a little more slowly. Hamilton has already proven he can run and play defense in center field, but hitting still remains a question mark. Even if he were wildly successful at the plate, it would still be a lot to ask of Hamilton to produce at Choo-like levels in reaching safely.

Cincinnati perhaps adds some help behind Hamilton in the expected signing of utility player Skip Schumaker, a lefty hitter that is strong vs. right-handed pitching.

Shin-Soo Choo Is Tigers' Top Target
    By Zach Links [December 3 at 5:41pm CST]

The Tigers are in heavy pursuit of a left-handed bat and Shin-Soo Choo is their top target, sources tell Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News. The TIgers have been said to have interest in Choo, but this is the first time that we're hearing that he is a priority over all other free agent targets.

The Rangers have been heavily linked to Choo and are prefer him over Jacoby Ellsbury, but they're said to be wary of the price tag that could be hitched the Scott Boras clients. The Reds would also like to keep Choo, but at $100MM+, he probably won't fit into their budget.

Choo's .423 on-base percentage ranked fourth in all of baseball this year, and easily topped Robinson Cano for the best among all free agents. The South Korea native is ranked third on Tim Dierkes' Top 50 Free Agent Power Rankings.

Detroit freed up a great deal of money with last week's blockbuster that freed them from $76MM of Prince Fielder's contract.

Based on Ellsbury, I have to think, sadly, that Choo is simply out of the Reds' price range. If so, too bad. He really fits their needs very well. But he's going to get a lot of money.

I think Choo will be a Tiger by this time next week.

I also saw that Baltimore is interested in going after Choo or another big money OF like Elvis from the Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric from NC View Post
    I also saw that Baltimore is interested in going after Choo or another big money OF like Elvis from the Rangers.
    Elvis?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 25m
    Choo negotiations "could move quickly," per Scott Boras. Rumor:Boston in. we shall see

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 25m
    Choo negotiations "could move quickly," per Scott Boras. Rumor:Boston in. we shall see
    Shocker: gammons thinks the red sox are involved in a free agent.

15. Likes:

reds44 (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If I'm a team with a battleship full of money like the Red Sox and a WC to defend, Choo is my first target.

17. Likes:

HokieRed (12-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Shocker they have the cash to be involved with everyone

Is it just me or is 4/64 for Granderson considerably more attractive than 6/120 or whatever for Choo?
    Go BLUE!!!

20. Likes:

Krawhitham (12-05-2013),mdccclxix (12-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?