Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 - 2014 UC Basketball

Re: 2013 - 2014 UC Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    As a Xavier fan I can't believe the lack of interest from Bearcat fans this year. You all have a very nice team. Maybe this win will get some people on the bandwagon.
    It's because Dusty is a terrible coach, I mean we don't want to give Mike Brown money, oh wait nevermind I mean we don't like Mick.

Tough to keep track of our reasons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Aw yea nice win today!
    I loved it. I know very little about Memphis so maybe they had an off night but they didn't look very good in this game. Are they really that bad at shooting the rock? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a win over an overranked team when we assess these things in March

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    As a Xavier fan I can't believe the lack of interest from Bearcat fans this year. You all have a very nice team. Maybe this win will get some people on the bandwagon.
    Bearcat fans post elsewhere.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Bearcat fans post elsewhere.
    I think the comment was more about attendance than posts on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think the comment was more about attendance than posts on this board.
    I've been disappointed with attendance as a UC fan. Value wise, tickets give you pretty good bang for your buck. I personally think that fan support was hurt so bad with the Huggins fiasco that people just became apathetic through the rebuilding process. Couple that with what many felt was an underwhelming hire in Cronin, a style of play that most don't find exciting, and success of the pro teams in town you have a perfect storm of apathy.

5/3 Arena is not a great venue either and that does factor in. That is putting it nicely. The venue is subpar by today's standards and needs gutted to fix it. I believe that is the next project UC will tackle after Nippert.

Having said all that, fans in this city seem to hold grudges much longer than they should. Sure, I loved Huggins, but Mick has done an outstanding job. Not only had he been winning at a good clip, he has done it the right way. Any lingering bitterness towards the program is unfounded and very unfair to Mick and his team. Mick might not have been a flashy hire, but it's very easy to argue he was the right guy for the job.

Hopefully people notice what this team is doing and start showing up to support them. I'm just not optimistic that they will unfortunately, and I know that it is taking is toll on Mick. He is starting at a disadvantage in recruiting because of it. The selling he has to do is crazy.

7. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-05-2014)

You know the more I watch them the more I think we can be dangerous in March. Our Freshman have been getting better, and offensively it's not like we're gonna get worse. We have guys that can score on the team, and working them into our rotation has helped. The way teams guard Kilpatrick it opens up everyone else.

Also, Justin Jackson has been great this year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post

Having said all that, fans in this city seem to hold grudges much longer than they should. Sure, I loved Huggins, but Mick has done an outstanding job. Not only had he been winning at a good clip, he has done it the right way. Any lingering bitterness towards the program is unfounded and very unfair to Mick and his team. Mick might not have been a flashy hire, but it's very easy to argue he was the right guy for the job.

Hopefully people notice what this team is doing and start showing up to support them. I'm just not optimistic that they will unfortunately, and I know that it is taking is toll on Mick. He is starting at a disadvantage in recruiting because of it. The selling he has to do is crazy.
    My best friend and his dad both jumped ship after the Andy Kennedy thing. They tried to hold on after Huggins, but when Kennedy also had problems and was let go, they were done and haven't ever come back. My best friend now roots for Xavier (he wound up going there for graduate school - so I can almost forgive him for it.... almost) and his dad simply doesn't watch college basketball anymore. I honestly think their story is one that holds true throughout the city.

Last time I went to a UC hoops game, my car got towed and I had to retrieve from the middle of crack alley (taking my 10 yr. old daughter) with a wad of cash. Coupling that with Clifton isn't the greatest place to go and UC's arena is mostly crappy seating, that was the last straw. I won't take tickets now even if they are free. I don't get mad, I just don't go.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Justin Jackson was just named conference player of the week for the third consecutive week.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Justin Jackson was just named conference player of the week for the third consecutive week.
    He can be really fun to watch. So much fire and energy.

I'll be making the trip down for the Rutgers game this Saturday. I live 2 hours away so I'm usually only able to make 1-2 games per year.

I'm very excited about the future this team has. The three freshman have really impressed me, there's two more freshmen being redshirted, and we have two very talented freshmen coming in next year. 2-3 years from now this team has serious potential to be top 10 caliber. Thinking about the future with this group makes me giddy.

Bearcats just missed a spot on the AP Top 25 this week. They came in at number 26.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Bearcats just missed a spot on the AP Top 25 this week. They came in at number 26.
    Really not bad considering they had zero votes in the prior poll.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Ironically, they're also #26 in the RPI. Odd that they're ahead of Xavier (in the AP poll) who blew 'em out of the arena in their head to head

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Ironically, they're also #26 in the RPI. Odd that they're ahead of Xavier (in the AP poll) who blew 'em out of the arena in their head to head
    And they're also behind Memphis after taking it to Memphis at the Forum where they rarely lose.

I think that UC, Xavier, and Pitt will all be ranked in the next 2-3 weeks time. Both UC and Xavier have shown big improvements since the early season. Xavier looked terrible in their tournament where they went 0-3, but seem to have figured it out. UC's freshmen are gaining confidence and are turning them into a different team than what they were early in the season.

18. Likes:

Roy Tucker (01-21-2014)

Turn Off Ads?