Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Coach That Never Punts

Re: The Coach That Never Punts

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'd look at the metrics totally differently. I'd look at it in terms of yards. Everytime you miss a 4th down, it costs you 35-40 yards. Thus if you miss on say three 4th downs, you've cost yourself over 100 yards. That's hard to make up.

I'd love to play a team that never punts.
    You make it up pretty easily by converting a number of those 4th downs. If you convert on 4th down more often than you punt, you are likely to end up with more yards than had you followed a traditional strategy. And based on the fact that this team has recently won 3 straight championships, I'd guess that teams aren't that excited to play them...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    You make it up pretty easily by converting a number of those 4th downs. If you convert on 4th down more often than you punt, you are likely to end up with more yards than had you followed a traditional strategy. And based on the fact that this team has recently won 3 straight championships, I'd guess that teams aren't that excited to play them...
    Right. Of course, there's a selection bias at work -- if the team is so good that it can expect to make fourth downs regardless of yards to go or field position, it's probably going to win regardless of strategy. We'd have to have a control group of let-it-all-hang-out-but-we're-mediocre teams to know for sure.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    It's quite possible that there's such a competitive imbalance in that area that the team would have won 3 championships regardless. In a competitive league, it'd be as dumb as hell to play it like that

If I was a coach that did this I would have to think my players would eventually start getting hurt.
    Last edited by CTA513; 11-22-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Turn Off Ads?