Thread: Unofficial Hot Stove News and Rumor Discussion Thread

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Unofficial Hot Stove News and Rumor Discussion Thread

This is what 32 million is worth now?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    It's fitting they had name tags at the press conference, because I'm willing to admit I had no idea who Jason Vargas was. Good for him though!

4. Likes:

New Fever (11-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    This was apparently worth 25.5 million nine years ago: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...743&position=P

Teams get it really wrong sometimes.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Is it just me or is the complete lack of rumors coming out about the Reds this week strange?

I am unsure of how to take this. Part of me thinks there is something huge about to break any minute now while the other part of me thinks Uncle Walt is napping in his favorite rocking chair.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Is it just me or is the complete lack of rumors coming out about the Reds this week strange?

I am unsure of how to take this. Part of me thinks there is something huge about to break any minute now while the other part of me thinks Uncle Walt is napping in his favorite rocking chair.
    That is in part because Walt and his inner circle do leak info or float trail baloons like others. He also lets the market settle out before acting on anything. This approach often leads to him missing opportunities, but at the same time often hellps avoid mistakes.

I would think we are looking at 2-3 fairly significant deals this Winter, but probabably not until the period beginning the week after Christmas and running through the end of January.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    That is in part because Walt and his inner circle do leak info or float trail baloons like others. He also lets the market settle out before acting on anything. This approach often leads to him missing opportunities, but at the same time often hellps avoid mistakes.

I would think we are looking at 2-3 fairly significant deals this Winter, but probabably not until the period beginning the week after Christmas and running through the end of January.
    The last two years, it has been the last 10 days of December where Walt makes his splash. That's when the Latos deal happened two years ago and the Choo deal last year. The next six weeks should be interesting and informative.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    That is in part because Walt and his inner circle do leak info or float trail baloons like others.
    I'm thinking there's a not missing from that quote.

Walt doesn't .....handle....the press like Bowden did. His deals don't tend to appear till they are done. I don't think anybody say Latos or Choo coming our way till the deals were done.

I'm ok with that. Walt has traditionally identified what his team needed and then acquired it. I'm actually kind of interested in what he thinks this team needs.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The last two years, it has been the last 10 days of December where Walt makes his splash. That's when the Latos deal happened two years ago and the Choo deal last year. The next six weeks should be interesting and informative.
    Yep, I still think something gets resolved on Hanigan before the arbitration deadline of December 2. It would allow his new team to negotiate a longer term deal.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Bourjos to the Cardinals. Presumably for Freese.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Bourjos to the Cardinals. Presumably for Freese.
    OK, how is this not a bad deal for the Cardinals?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    OK, how is this not a bad deal for the Cardinals?
    Bourjos doesn't know how to find first base. Because with their ridiculous RISP luck from last year, that team needs a catalyst to reign that back in.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    You're right. Point is, just don't expect anything major Walt until his Christmas dinner has been digested and he wakes up from his nap.

Can Garrett Jones play left as well as cover RF and LF? A good bench bat?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Can Garrett Jones play left as well as cover RF and LF? A good bench bat?
    I was wondering the same thing. Garrett definitely took a step back in 2013, but Jones owns a career .271/.337/.489 line against righties. I know his glove is not good, but would it hurt us a lot in left field?

Pittsburgh is the same or worse off than the Reds on offense for 2014. If there isn't any room in Pittsburgh for Jones, why is there in Cincinnati?

Turn Off Ads?