Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Hot Stove News and Rumor Discussion Thread

Re: Unofficial Hot Stove News and Rumor Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Except the Reds will add a CFer without trading Phillips.

And a Gardner/Ellis scenario likely leaves the Reds in 2015 with no Gardner and no Phillips.
    And no $39 Million albatross.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

HokieRed (12-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

This may already be discussed somewhere on our multiple threads, but I couldn't find it:

An AL evaluator tells Andy McCullough of The Star-Ledger (Twitter link) that the Reds should consider dealing Homer Bailey to the Yankees for Brett Gardner and a lower-level prospect. Both players will become free agents following the 2014 season.
    I like Gardner as a target, and if Homer makes it clear he doesn't want to return, I don't mind this deal. Still like a (hypothetical) Fowler-Leake more though.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

5. Likes:

757690 (12-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    This may already be discussed somewhere on our multiple threads, but I couldn't find it:

I like Gardner as a target, and if Homer makes it clear he doesn't want to return, I don't mind this deal. Still like a (hypothetical) Fowler-Leake more though.
    Nice find

Without Chapman starting, it would hurt the rotation too much. But if the Reds could get a decent starter somehow as well, it's a good idea. Maybe Bronson settles for a two year deal? #wishfulthinking
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Just saw MLB network (Ron Darling) state that Ervin Santana's "best fit" is with Cincinnati. How do they come up with this stuff? Then they showed the rotation without Cingrani in it and made no mention of trade possibilities.
    Darling may have a source somewhere, but that doesn't make a lick of sense. Unless, of course, the Reds are going to trade a starter.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 12-07-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

If Homer gets dealt, I want a bucket of prospects coming back to help extend the window. He's too vital to postseason success to call this a good short term move IMO.

9. Likes:

joshua (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Nice find

Without Chapman starting, it would hurt the rotation too much. But if the Reds could get a decent starter somehow as well, it's a good idea. Maybe Bronson settles for a two year deal? #wishfulthinking
    I suppose then the Ervin Santana rumor/speculation might make sense...?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-08-2013)

I suppose then the Ervin Santana rumor/speculation might make sense...?
    It could as part of a much bigger plan. But he's still way too expensive, imo.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It could as part of a much bigger plan. But he's still way too expensive, imo.
    Honestly, if Walt is really trying to improve the team beyond just minute tweaks, he has to have a bigger plan. There is no obvious "quick fix" move like last year's team needed (a leadoff hitter). I'm assuming, of course, that Choo departs. If he doesn't, then I suppose the team can probably just go to war with the same lineup that won 90 games without its best starting pitcher for most of the year.

14. Likes:

757690 (12-07-2013)

Ive always liked Ervin Santana but he wants 100 mil and we can't give him that

Not that I think it would land Santana, but if Homer balks at the Reds best offer, they could always turn around and offer it to ES and deal Bailey. Doubt Santana would bite though.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

MLB sources say the Yankees will listen on Brett Gardner, particularly if they're offered a starting pitcher in exchange, Newsday's Marc Carig reports. The Star-Ledger previously reported major interest in the outfielder. Gardner is projected to earn $4MM in his final year of arbitration by MLBTR's Matt Swartz.

Homer or Phillips to NY for Gardner? Which would make more sense? IMHO, that's easy: BP.

An AL evaluator tells Andy McCullough of The Star-Ledger (Twitter link) that the Reds should consider dealing Homer Bailey to the Yankees for Brett Gardner and a lower-level prospect. Both players will become free agents following the 2014 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post

Though I don't like the idea of giving up Bailey either, he has seemed to make it quite clear he has no interest in a long term deal with the Reds at all. Bailey is being estimated to get above $9 million in arby for 2014, double what Gardner is going to make, so that frees up about $5 million-ish. I could see a four man rotation in the outfield with Gardner, Hamilton, Ludwick, and Bruce (with Gardner mostly playing left and center, helping to ease in Bham and spell Ludwick to keep him fresh) with Heisey as a 5th man/bench bat.

Of course, something would have to be done to fill Bailey's spot in the rotation, probably with either a one or two year deal until Stephenson is ready (Arroyo I would take, not sure what else is out there). My guess is that if we see a move on the SP front, Bailey is as good as gone, but if not, they ride him in is contract year, then QO him after the season.

No way I do Bailey for Gardener straight up, would also need to get back a pretty good prospect at least. If Homer performs as expected this year he should net a draft pick next year with a qualifying offer.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

22. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (12-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?