Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Hot Stove News and Rumor Discussion Thread

Re: Unofficial Hot Stove News and Rumor Discussion Thread

I was with you up until the last paragraph. Gutierrez hasn't had a decent season at the plate since 2009.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I was with you up until the last paragraph. Gutierrez hasn't had a decent season at the plate since 2009.
    Sure I get that but what alternatives do we have? I don't think the Reds have much faith in Hamilton being the answer at least for the 1st half of the season. At Gutierrez has the potential to give them at least a really good 1st half what with the park (both offensively and defensively) and being new to the NL. It's a decent gamble IMO.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Gutierrez had a better 2013 than 2009 by the numbers. He can't stay healthy, though. He is a hammer vs. LHP, careerwise, although his splits reversed last year for some reason. I'd shy away from him because of his track record with health but he'd be an interesting gamble.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

5. Likes:

Mario-Rijo (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Choo, who brought a semblance of balance to the lineup as a LHH, is gone, so why wouldn't Jocketty go back to the good old days of Votto and Bruce as the only LHH in the lineup?

Did you see the Reds production from the right side last year?

They need somebody to hit between Votto and Bruce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

7. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-09-2013),kbrake (12-09-2013),marcshoe (12-09-2013),Old school 1983 (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Gutierrez had a better 2013 than 2009 by the numbers. He can't stay healthy, though. He is a hammer vs. LHP, careerwise, although his splits reversed last year for some reason. I'd shy away from him because of his track record with health but he'd be an interesting gamble.
    He had a higher slugging percentage because he hit 10 homers in 41 games, but that's an awfully small sample size (and one accompanied by a .273 obp.)

He only played 40 games the year before, and lifetime only gets on base at a .306 clip. Personally, if we're going to settle for those kind of numbers in center, I'd rather just go ahead and start Hamilton.

The Reds need another solid outfield bat, though, whether it's in center or left.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    He had a higher slugging percentage because he hit 10 homers in 41 games, but that's an awfully small sample size (and one accompanied by a .273 obp.)

He only played 40 games the year before, and lifetime only gets on base at a .306 clip. Personally, if we're going to settle for those kind of numbers in center, I'd rather just go ahead and start Hamilton.

The Reds need another solid outfield bat, though, whether it's in center or left.
    I think after reading this teams might be more willing to take a chance on him. Some flukish stuff and some answers to the not so fluky stuff. This was mid summer 2013 when these were published BTW.

http://http://blog.seattlepi.com/bas...d-again-still/

In all seriousness, this is bad news for everyone. After years of battling health problems including irritable bowel syndrome, a concussion, pain in his throwing arm and now issues with his legs and hips – stemming from a recently discovered genetic disorder that causes inflammation in his joints – it is unclear if Gutierrez will ever be fully healthy.
    Recently, doctors figured out that Gutierrez has a genetic disorder that basically causes inflammation and arthritic pain in his joints and other parts of his body.

“I started taking some medicine, and it’s working now,’ Gutierrez said. “It took about three or four weeks to start feeling better. I didn’t know what I had and they didn’t know either. They found out that it caused all these things. As soon as I started the medicine, I started feeling better and better and better.”

Gutierrez wasn’t sure of the exact name of the condition and Mariners medical staff chose not to comment on specifics other than it was a disorder causing inflammation in the joints.

“They finally figured out what was going on,” Gutierrez said. “It wasn’t their fault, because they’re doing a really good job on me, doing everything I ask them to do. I guess we got to the time where they found out what it is, and I’m feeling much better. It was affecting my joints, my eye was getting inflammation. So many people didn’t know about this, and we didn’t need to talk about it until now. Obviously, I don’t want to make a big deal about this, but it’s what’s been happening. I’m feeling much better now. I’m taking the medication, it’s working.”
    Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/marin...#storylink=cpy
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Arroyo and the Pirates have mutual interest

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...tual-interest/

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Angels' Trumbo in play. Club officials view him as difficult to lose, but also as the piece who might bring them most in return.

I know you guys hate him but could this be the RH bat?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post

i have mixed feeling on that. i think he would pitch good against us because we have so many free swingers despite alot of LH hitters. i would rather see him go to the twins.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post

I really hope this doesn't happen . Nothing worse than seeing one of your favorite players go to a heated rival.

14. Likes:

bigredmechanism (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJ View Post
    @Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Angels' Trumbo in play. Club officials view him as difficult to lose, but also as the piece who might bring them most in return.

I wouldn't give up Bailey for him, but the homers would be nice, even if he has never stood on first base in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I really hope this doesn't happen . Nothing worse than seeing one of your favorite players go to a heated rival.
    If it's Burnett or Arroyo, I'd rather Arroyo, although it will be hard to tell who's really who...

No

Code:
    AREER
    OUTS displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    REACHED BASE displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    PLATE APPEARANCES BETWEEN 1850 AND 50000
    OBA <= .315
    SLG > .465

RUNS CREATED/GAME               DIFF   PLAYER   LEAGUE    OUTS      RB       PA       OBA      SLG    
    1    Bo Jackson                 0.31     4.90     4.59     1886      812     2626     .309     .474   Royals/White Sox/Angels
    2    Ron Kittle                 0.29     4.80     4.51     2160      922     3013     .306     .473   White Sox/Yankees/Indians/White Sox/Orioles/White Sox
    3    Dave Kingman               0.23     4.71     4.48     5381     2236     7429     .302     .478   Giants/Mets/Padres/Angels/Yankees/Cubs/Mets/A's
    4    Marcus Thames              0.09     5.09     5.00     1432      623     2016     .309     .485   Yankees/Rangers/Tigers/Yankees/Dodgers
    5    Mark Trumbo                -.09     4.46     4.55     1357      554     1853     .299     .469   Angels
    6    Mike Jacobs                -.25     4.93     5.18     1521      670     2140     .313     .473   Mets/Marlins/Royals/Mets/Diamondbacks

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (12-09-2013)

Hard to see him being large enough upgrade over Ludwick to warrant giving up significant pieces I would think. Seems like the RH bat they are looking for would have to be capable of fielding CF and LF.

Trumbo I imagine would have a lot more value to a team that can play him at LF, 1B and DH.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Hard to see him being large enough upgrade over Ludwick to warrant giving up significant pieces I would think. Seems like the RH bat they are looking for would have to be capable of fielding CF and LF.

Trumbo I imagine would have a lot more value to a team that can play him at LF, 1B and DH.
    Even if the Reds were currently projected to be starting a traffic cone in LF I wouldn't give up significant pieces for an out machine like Trumbo.

21. Likes:

Always Red (12-09-2013),Edd Roush (12-09-2013),RedlegJake (12-09-2013),wolfboy (12-09-2013)

Turn Off Ads?