Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Hot Stove News and Rumor Discussion Thread

Unofficial Hot Stove News and Rumor Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If Choo won't sign for less than 6 years or $100M, I don't want to sign him. ESPECIALLY when it means unloading Phillips and Bailey.

How does that make us a better team? Will Profar outperform Phillips (both offensively and defensively) next year? Unlikely.

Will the upgrade from Frazier to Lawrie offset the loss of Homer Bailey in the rotation? Very doubtful.

Choo is still Choo, only one year further from 30. So how do those moves make this a better team in 2014 than it was in 2013?

Sure, maybe Profar and Lawrie improve enough in the out years to make these moves worth it, but by then Choo will just be a really, really expensive 35 year old OF who can't hit lefties. Don't see that helping much.

I'm fine with trading basically anyone on the roster except for maybe Latos and Bruce, but I don't think you can move Bailey and/or Phillips unless you are getting big improvements at other positions. These moves get us younger and cheaper, only to blow all of that on keeping a guy on the wrong side of 30. No thanks.

That said, I am in favor of trading Bailey for Profar straight up if you can do it. But trading Phillips for Lawrie just so you can sign Choo to a monster deal seems like rearranging deck chairs.
    Agree, but I think we have reached the point a year early, where the team has to make the decisions on how to move forward. The Cardinals and the Pirates are the reason. The Pirates get another potential frontline starter from their minors this coming season, the Cardinals have both young pitching and hitting ready to blossom. Both of those teams have moved quickly, and have passed the Reds. We knew that the window for this group was open through about 2014, to maybe 2015. That has changed. If this team doesn't do a Bob Howsam Joe Morgan type of deal, they will be consigned to the fate of the Astros of the past decade. The will be running out the string acquiring stop gaps that don't fill the gaps, while the expensive stars age and deteriorate.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Likes:

joshua (11-15-2013),mth123 (11-15-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Unofficial Hot Stove News and Rumor Discussion Thread

One thing that strikes me about the entire rumor thread, is that there has not been one mention of the Reds, acquiring a nearly ready pitcher with options, in any of the trade rumors. After Cingrani, who is likely one of the starting 5, the Reds are going to be leaning on Corcino to be the 6th guy. Yikes! Who is the seventh? Sharky?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    One thing that strikes me about the entire rumor thread, is that there has not been one mention of the Reds, acquiring a nearly ready pitcher with options, in any of the trade rumors. After Cingrani, who is likely one of the starting 5, the Reds are going to be leaning on Corcino to be the 6th guy. Yikes! Who is the seventh? Sharky?
    By mid season, it likely will be Stephenson. But the Reds will likely sign a few guys like Gallarraga and Reynolds in Feb.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I think Reynolds could be back, and there are trade options, like the one that brought over Todd Redmond.

Also, as was pointed out, Stephenson is coming quick. If he has his control in AA like it was in Dayton and Bakersfield he could be ready by May or June.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

With the way Sharky is performing in the AFL, having him as an emergency option at AAA this year isn't a bad thing. Of course Stephenson, as others mentioned, is coming fast. Having him break into the rotation in July would not be a terrible circumstance to have happen.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'd love to see ANY deal with the Rangers bring back Gentry. The guy doesn't seem to be in their OF picture, and gets on base at a high clip. He'd make a good platoon/backup for Hamilton, or could play LF with BHam in CF.

Bailey for Kinsler and Gentry
    Phillips to the Yankees (if they don't re-sign Cano) for Ivan Nova?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

. We knew that the window for this group was open through about 2014, to maybe 2015. That has changed. If this team doesn't do a Bob Howsam Joe Morgan type of deal, they will be consigned to the fate of the Astros of the past decade. The will be running out the string acquiring stop gaps that don't fill the gaps, while the expensive stars age and deteriorate.
    I think it's important not to panic though.
    The second wildcard has relieved some of the pressure.

Let's say we do a radical makeover and trade Phillips,Homer, and Chapman for some younger talent. That could also torpedo 2014. I'm more worried about a team like the Nats, Giants, or Diamondbacks getting better than I am worried about catching the Pirates or Cards. You're right, we are behind them in talent, but the playoffs are still attainable.

2015 is a lot more sketchy. I want to go all in for 2014.

Another point.. Most people here are somewhat nervous about Billy H being ready offensively for 2014. That's reasonable. But few here seem to question hypothetically replacing Phillips with Profar.. Profar only OPSed 644 last year.
    Granted Profar has a huge ceiling, but potentially he's a huge hole in the lineup for 2014, especially if he comes in to replace Phillipls.

I guess to get to the point.. I'd hate to sabotage 2014 for the future. Why end the window a year early by making the wrong trades of Bailey and Phillips.. If they do trade those guys, I hope it's a smart trade.
    At some point, the roster will need to be retooled, but no point in accelerating that timeline. I'd rather go for status quo than start the rebuilding process too early.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think the most likely way this need is filled is with veterans on AAA contracts. Acquiring bats is the priority at this point and SP is a position of strength. If arms are acquired to be SP they would likely have timetables for when Cueto/Leake/Latos may need replacing. Until then it would be AAA filler arms, injury rehab guys (Santana/Holliday) or guys on a 1 yr deal (Dan Haren).

Stephenson for 6th man

From the non-discussion thread:

The Rangers and Dodgers discussed trades during the GM Meetings, looking to fill the other team's respective needs in the outfield and infield, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports (Twitter links). The Dodgers had interest in shortstop Elvis Andrus while the Rangers had interest in Matt Kemp, though they were concerned about the $128MM owed to Kemp through 2019 and his recent injury problems. Talks between the two sides didn't go anywhere, Rosenthal said.
    Are the Dodgers getting Andrus as a utility infielder?
    Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, considering Hanley does not want to go to 3rd.
    Maybe Andrus is going to play 2b or 3b, despite the fact they signed the Cuban FA?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Slobber-knocker blockbuster time.

According to MLBTR, Blue Jays need SP, 2B, C, and are interested in both Phillips and Hanigan. So, my idea fantasy-style...

Reds trade: Bailey, Phillips, Ludwick, Hanigan
    Jays trade: Bautista and Rasmus

Who hangs up?

Money seems to work. Jays open up space for Gose and Sierra, their two OF prospects, while improving the rotation and two premium defensive positions.

Reds get major OF upgrade and can move Hamilton to 2B. Rasmus only signed for 2014 (like Bailey) but Reds could get a cheap veteran bridge to Ervin if Hamilton sticks at 2B and Rasmus won't re-sign. Jocketty drafted Rasmus. Reds could then extend Latos and one of the other pitchers, or re-sign Rasmus if he can repeat 2013 and Ervin is still a ways off. Or they could just make Rasmus a qualifying offer.

2B Hamilton
    CF Rasmus
    1B Votto
    LF Bautista
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    C Mesoraco
    SS Cozart

Maybe Reds even agree to take on Ricky Romero if Jays pay 80-90% of his remaining salary, if it helps the financial equation. That guy clearly needs a change of scenery, at least.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-15-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

14. Likes:

cincinnati chili (11-17-2013),klw (11-15-2013)

Both LeCure and Simon can start if need be. Stephenson could be ready by the All-Star break. There's always a host of AAAA pitchers that can be added to Lousville.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Both LeCure and Simon can start if need be. Stephenson could be ready by the All-Star break. There's always a host of AAAA pitchers that can be added to Lousville.
    I don't see Lecure as a viable option at all, he's become a one-inning reliever and hasn't started a single game since 2011. Simon is better equipped to start, but even he hasn't started since 2011.

Stephenson will depend on how he does. If he does great, he'll be knocking at the door in late May. If not, it will take longer.

The Reds have six starters if you include Chapman. They will acquire backup starting pitchers, particularly if they trade somebody like Bailey. I'm sure it's on their shopping list.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I'd love to see ANY deal with the Rangers bring back Gentry. The guy doesn't seem to be in their OF picture, and gets on base at a high clip. He'd make a good platoon/backup for Hamilton, or could play LF with BHam in CF.

Bailey for Kinsler and Gentry
    Phillips to the Yankees (if they don't re-sign Cano) for Ivan Nova?
    Every time someone comes up with a trade idea with the Yankees, my immediate reaction is that the Yankees can't afford to trade that guy, no matter who it's been, every single time. I honestly believe the Yankees can't afford to make a major trade, unless it's a pure salary dump, they almost have to just sign free agents because they need some of almost everything and have no extra anything that other teams would want.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

What would it take to get Daniel Murphy from the Mets? Anyone like this guy?

20. Likes:

Joseph (11-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?