Stats 2013: .261ba/.310obp/.396slg/.706ops
    Potential replacement: Skip Schumaker
    Skips 2013 line: .263ba/.332obp/.332slg/.665ops

Andre Eithier:
    Contract: 69M next 4 years option for 5th at 17.5M 2.5 buyout
    Stats 2013: .272ba/.360obp/.423slg/.783ops
    Potential Replacement: Billy Hamilton
    2013 Stat line: Incomplete.
    I proposed this exact trade at least a month ago. Probably depends on LA sending money back. With the buyout Either's contract is around 20 milion more.

Re: Unofficial Hot Stove News and Rumor Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    I proposed this exact trade at least a month ago. Probably depends on LA sending money back. With the buyout Either's contract is around 20 milion more.
    Yeah we would need to increase payroll ~4M year.

The reason I would do it is becasue we would have a clear upgrade offensively with Ethier vs BP.

Starting Ethier over Hamilton is a almost a mortal lock to be a huge upgrade whereas the downgrade of BP to Schumaker is a smaller gap in talent.

The Dodgers have a need at 2B and a surplus at OF.
    It may require other parts but these 2 would certainly be the key foundations of a potential trade.

I hate the trade idea. Don't like trading skill position players for corner outfielders.

Billy played exclusively OF last season, and from everything I have read he's already a strong major league calibre player there, at 2B still pretty raw hence the move.

Unless there is some quality 2B that we are getting from outside the organization and getting a position of need for Phillips I am firmly on the keep Phillips wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post

The Dodgers have a need at 2B and a surplus at OF.
    It may require other parts but these 2 would certainly be the key foundations of a potential trade.
    Do they have a real need at second, or just more of a need for a stopgap/Plan B if Alexander Guerrero doesn't pan out? I know LA prints money and all, but they're already giving Guerrero $28 M over four years, so I wonder how much they'd be chomping at the bit to take Phillips in.

Sincerely curious about this. I know a lot of people on this board were very high on Guerrero when the Reds were linked to him earlier this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I hate the trade idea. Don't like trading skill position players for corner outfielders.

Billy played exclusively OF last season, and from everything I have read he's already a strong major league calibre player there, at 2B still pretty raw hence the move.

Unless there is some quality 2B that we are getting from outside the organization and getting a position of need for Phillips I am firmly on the keep Phillips wagon.
    I could live with Hamilton in triple a or as a spot starter/pinch runner for a season. Then in 2015 you buyout Ludwick, move over Ethier to RF and let Hamilton play everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Do they have a real need at second, or just more of a need for a stopgap/Plan B if Alexander Guerrero doesn't pan out? I know LA prints money and all, but they're already giving Guerrero $28 M over four years, so I wonder how much they'd be chomping at the bit to take Phillips in.

Sincerely curious about this. I know a lot of people on this board were very high on Guerrero when the Reds were linked to him earlier this season.
    It's hard to say how much they like Guerrero, but one thing we do know is it looks like they want to deal Ethier. I don't see many teams if any that are going to trade for Ethier without sending a bad contract the other way. So the real question in my opinion is how badly does LA want to get rid of Ethier. Despite as much as people bemoan BP's contract he's still has value on the market imo for a 2nd basemen. He's probably going to be the most they could probably get for a guy like Ethier, I would think. I could be wrong though.

I'd like it better if Corey Seeger was coming this way along with Either.

What about Carlos Quentin? He's had surgery in September and I don't know the prognosis. He's due $9M next year, $8.5 in 2015 and a $3M buyout for 2016.

Seems like enough scratch for the Padres to want to move him, but not so much that it would be a huge gamble to take.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJ View Post
    @Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Angels' Trumbo in play. Club officials view him as difficult to lose, but also as the piece who might bring them most in return.

I know you guys hate him but could this be the RH bat?
    We already got rid of Adam Dunn awhile ago. If they think Trumbo will bring them a good return, I'd stay at away. He probably isn't worth what they're asking.

12. Likes:

RedlegJake (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I'd like it better if Corey Seeger was coming this way along with Either.
    Me too! I know you're being facetious but if LA really wants to deal away Ethier they might include some money though I doubt they'd add any prospects. They could use BP at 2nd and third and even as an emergency SS though he's past that stage, while buying Guerrero time to break in. If they included some cash for part of Ethier's contract (enough to pay Ludwick or sign Infante)? I don;t think this deal will happen but just spinning ideas...
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    We already got rid of Adam Dunn awhile ago. If they think Trumbo will bring them a good return, I'd stay at away. He probably isn't worth what they're asking.
    I am in the hate the idea of Trumbo camp. Yeah, in GABP, I think he'd hit 35 homers but he'd still OBP .290 or so making a ton of outs.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

15. Likes:

joshua (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Trumbo wishes he had Dunn's game

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-09-2013),mth123 (12-09-2013),pahster (12-10-2013),Revering4Blue (12-10-2013),Rojo (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Even if the Reds were currently projected to be starting a traffic cone in LF I wouldn't give up significant pieces for an out machine like Trumbo.
    I say we take the other Hamilton off the Halos hands (if they kick in 75%) of his deal. Come to think of it, maybe they should send us Howie Kendrick too as an incent

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    What does Redzone think about the following trade idea:

Brandon Phillips for Andre Ethier

Brandon Phillips
    Contract: $50/M through 2017
    Stats 2013: .261ba/.310obp/.396slg/.706ops
    Potential replacement: Skip Schumaker
    Skips 2013 line: .263ba/.332obp/.332slg/.665ops

Andre Eithier:
    Contract: 69M next 4 years option for 5th at 17.5M 2.5 buyout
    Stats 2013: .272ba/.360obp/.423slg/.783ops
    Potential Replacement: Billy Hamilton
    2013 Stat line: Incomplete.
    I'd rather include Broxton and an OF prospect and go for Kemp if the Dodgers can make the money work.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?