Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Skip Schumaker

Re: Reds Sign Skip Schumaker

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    WAR is a counting stat and not really the best way to judge part time players.
    True, in generalized way. But it doesn't help the Schumaker fans in this case since he's the one who's had more playing time in recent years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Their careers are usually one big collection of small sample sizes.
    Doesn't a big collection of small samples equal a large sample?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

4. Likes:

WildcatFan (11-20-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    You just stole from BCubb's next Random Thoughts.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

6. Likes:

RedEye (11-21-2013)

I also don't care for slick fielding guys off the bench, even at SS. They just don't play enough to make that much difference with the glove. I prefer guy who doesn't hurt you with the glove and gives you decent AB's every time.

Which is why I like this signing.
    Me too. There are two distinct roles for a back-up. One is a glovey guy who can replace an iron-mitt when you're trying to preserve a lead. The other is a guy who can spell a capable starter for a few games a season.

Cozart doesn't need to be yanked to shore up the defense. On last year's team, I'm not sure there was anyone who needed to come out because they were such a huge defensive liablity (i.e, no Greg Luzinkski's).

So if there's a player who can passable play short and isn't an automatic out, I'm all for it.
    Last edited by Rojo; 11-20-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yea, someone caught that. I understand the irony of such a statement.

But not all small samples combine together to make a predictive large sample. Most bench players are used situationally, matched up against who they succeed the best against.

The whole reason why big sample sizes are more predictive than small ones is not that they are bigger, but they are more likely to be fuller, more comprehensive. They contain data against all types of opponents, and in all types of situations, if they come from one full season. But if they're coming from a group of small samples which are mostly against the same type of opponent and are from the the same type of situation, they lack the comprehensiveness that full season sample has, and thus less predictive.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Agree.

Pretty much most stats don't help us evaluate backups. Their careers are usually one big collection of small sample sizes. Not very predictive.

The two qualities I want in a backup player is the ability to play multiple positions on a passable level, and the ability to get a hit and get on base. I don't care much about their power.

I really don't like low BA guys with some power (Kelly Johnson, Chris Heisey, Russell Braynon, etc). I want guys who can come off the bench and give quality AB's, not guys who suck most of the time, but every now and then run into a meatball for a homer. I also don't care for slick fielding guys off the bench, even at SS. They just don't play enough to make that much difference with the glove. I prefer guy who doesn't hurt you with the glove and gives you decent AB's every time.

Which is why I like this signing.
    I'm with you. Plus, the Reds don't need IF gloves on the bench since the IF is already stacked with them. Schumaker may make Hannahan scarce. I'm fine with that.

What I'd really like though is for the Reds to find a SS upgrade on Cozart (the speculated Homer-Profar deal would do the trick). Then Cozart could become an all-purpose IF backup. My guess is his BA would improve thanks to the added rest, making him a triple forklift upgrade over Izturis.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Schumaker may make Hannahan scarce. I'm fine with that.
    So am I. I've never seen a LH swing with so much ooomph and so little ahhh.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I admit, I never anticipated 160 posts and counting being made over the signing of a utility guy.

This place never disappoints!
    #203 right here for the Skipper

But not all small samples combine together to make a predictive large sample. Most bench players are used situationally, matched up against who they succeed the best against.
    I agree. I just thought it was amusing wording. That said, when you have a guy like Skip, who has had several full seasons of 500+ PA and then pretty regular appearances afterwards, it might be worth delving into the numbers a bit. Even during his past few seasons off the bench, he was getting 300+ PA from multiple positions -- so the situations might not always have been driven by offense-based considerations.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...T04/311200158/

Jocketty made it clear that the signing of catcher Brayan Pena and the possible signing of second baseman and outfielder Schumaker are aimed at improving the bench.

"Guys like Schumaker, Pena and others we're talking to give you good experience," Jocketty said. "They're good guys. They've played on good teams. We like our everyday club. But we wanted to strengthen the bench."

Schumaker and Pena are both left-handed hitters who are not prone to strike out. That's part of the plan to improve the offense.

"Yes sir," Jocketty said. "They take quality at-bats. They put the ball in play. We want more productive at-bats."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...amilton-sponge

SCHUMAKER TO REMAIN VERSATILE: Although he's listed as an outfielder, veteran free agent signee Skip Schumaker will continue to hone his skills in the infield, as well, Price said.

"We'll keep him fresh at second base, as well," Price said. "How much playing time that means, I don't know. I know our regulars are going to want to play as much as possible, but I think there's value into off days and keeping the body fresh, and there's also some value in keeping our bench players sharp by getting some starts along the way."

Shumaker and Pena are great if they're the end of the bench

they both would look great as retired players

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    they both would look great as retired players
    What's with the negativity, bob? I don't think I've ever seen a post of yours that wasn't overly negative.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

18. Likes:

westofyou (02-21-2014)

It's a groove thang

Turn Off Ads?