Thread: Reds Sign Skip Schumaker

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reds Sign Skip Schumaker

Per Ken Rosenthal. 2 year deal

Re: Reds Sign Skip Schumaker

Awful.

3. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-18-2013),mth123 (11-18-2013)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Awful.
    Schumaker has always been pretty decent about getting on base. He has a career .344 OBP. He isn't the most inspiring candidate as an everyday CF, but without knowing what his role is yet, I do not see how you could call this signing "Awful."

5. Likes:

Chuckie (11-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Schumaker has always been pretty decent about getting on base. He has a career .344 OBP. He isn't the most inspiring candidate as an everyday CF, but without knowing what his role is yet, I do not see how you could call this signing "Awful."
    I doubt they're bringing him in to play centerfield. I would say it's much more likely this is a possible precursor to a Phillips deal or he'll simply be a utility guy.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

7. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (11-19-2013)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I doubt they're bringing him in to play centerfield. I would say it's much more likely this is a possible precursor to a Phillips deal or he'll simply be a utility guy.
    I concur. I was just stating that we don't know how he will be used and in a vacuum, he is not a bad player, so I do not know how a poster can call the signing "awful."

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-19-2013)

Can Schumaker even play CF? I don't know if he can at this point in his life.
    I see he started 12 games in CF for LA last year though.

Seems like he's more likely going to be the next 2b, and the Reds are going to move BP.

In fantasyland here, but if replacing Phillips with Schumaker lets us bring Choo back, it might be a net gain. (And I don't want to trade Phillips)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All of the above. If BP is dealt, he's the replacement. If BP isn't dealt and there's no CF signing, he's the CF. If BP is kept and the OF is filled, he's a sub.

This gives Walt a lot wiggle to make the right deal instead of a panic move.

Depth/flexibility signing.

Every team needs a scrub who plays more than 1 position

14. Likes:

bucksfan2 (11-19-2013),HeatherC1212 (11-19-2013),m21eagle45 (11-18-2013),StillFunkyB (11-24-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (11-18-2013),TRF (11-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Every team needs a scrub who plays more than 1 position
    We already have Hannahan though for that role.
    Doesn't really make much sense to cut Hannahan for a marginal improvement like this.

Schumaker's ability to play the OF isn't as valuable to the Reds, as we have DRob, Hamilton, and Heisey as depth guys there.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Hannahan can't hit, period. And he only really plays third.

Scraptastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Hannahan can't hit, period. And he only really plays third.
    That's what qualifies him as our scrub that can play more than one position
    I think Hannahan can play 2b if needed, Dusty just usually prefered to use Izturus there.

Still, given the fact the Reds owe Hanahan about 2 million next year, I don't think he'll be cut.
    I see either BP, Paul, or Heisey being gone as a result of this.

I like this signing though, assuming it didn't break the bank. Could've done much worse, especially if Schmaker can play CF in the GAB.

19. Likes:

Larkin88 (11-18-2013)

Doesn't really make much sense to cut Hannahan for a marginal improvement like this.

Schumaker's ability to play the OF isn't as valuable to the Reds, as we have DRob, Hamilton, and Heisey as depth guys there.
    Still obviously early to know where the club's head is at. I definitely prefer Skip as a bench bat to Hannahan, though. And that's not just me basing it off Jack's lackluster season last year in limited opportunities.

Career .285/.244/.372 bat... even in a "down" season last year, put up .263/.332/.332 versus Hannahan's career .232/.316/.349. I don't think he has Hannahan's glove (the one errorpalooza last year notwithstanding), but I don't hate the idea of Schumaker on the team.

We may need a center fielder, second basemen or both here in a few weeks. Skip's a decent depth guy across the board at those positions.

EDIT:

Still, given the fact the Reds owe Hanahan about 2 million next year, I don't think he'll be cut.
    I see either BP, Paul, or Heisey being gone as a result of this.

I like this signing though, assuming it didn't break the bank. Could've done much worse, especially if Schmaker can play CF in the GAB.
    Jumped the gun before I saw your second reply. Agreed on all counts.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (11-18-2013)

Hannahan can't play any of the positions Schumaker plays. This ensure the Reds have an inadequate option for every position on the field.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

23. Likes:

joshua (11-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?