Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Skip Schumaker

Re: Reds Sign Skip Schumaker

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    We already have Hannahan.
    Hannahan wishes he was that versatile. He also wishes he could hit like that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I will say this, if the Reds intention is to use Skippy as a starting player, or even share time as a starting player, then this is a very non-sensical signing and will contribute as one of the worst starting players in the major leagues.

I can't recall Jocketty doing anything that misguided in his tenure as a Red, or even a Cardinal, so I think it's hardly outlandish to assume that he has signed a perennial bench player as a, well, bench player.
    I do agree with you that this seems most likely to be a bench signing. I guess I'm just wondering what happens next.

Two thoughts:

1) Skip accumulated starter-level AB's during his age 27-29 seasons in StL. I think "perennial bench player" is a bit of an exaggeration. He would be a reasonable stop-gap starter -- if not a desirable one in any way shape of form.

2) I've read elsewhere on this thread that his overall production grades out at around replacement level. A .715 OPS with slightly below-average D at 2B would be disappointing, but not as much so if it means a Choo signing.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    What does he bring that Xavier Paul doesn't already?
    Skip can play 2B slightly less horribly than Paul
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I'm guessing he replaces Heisey, not Hannahan.
    I'm guessing Heisey will still be on the roster but Izturis won't.

6. Likes:

m21eagle45 (11-18-2013)

Wouldn't it make more sense just to sign a real middle infielder? And do we need more Schumaker-level depth in the OF (and let's be real...corner OF)? What does he bring that Xavier Paul doesn't already?
    Maybe the club anticipates the need for a guy who can play both 2B and the OF. Skip plays all three OF spots, right? I didn't think Paul played the corners particularly well -- let alone CF.

In any case, it is interesting to try to read the tea leaves here with these early moves. Pena seems to portend a Hanigan trade and/or a possible Chapman move to the rotation. Schumaker seems to signal the need for some flexibility and/or a backup plan at both 2B and OF. It isn't hard to see what types of things Walt might be thinking about here, is it?
    Last edited by RedEye; 11-18-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Xavier Paul will not be on the team this coming year, a one trick pony who isn't capable of pulling off that one trick enough to justify a roster spot.

9. Likes:

757690 (11-18-2013),Mitri (11-18-2013),pahster (11-18-2013),Tom Servo (11-18-2013)

Good signing. Dude absolutely killed Reds' pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Good signing. Dude absolutely killed Reds' pitching.
    Good point. Same reason I always wanted the Reds to sign Bill Hall -- even if he sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    1) Skip accumulated starter-level AB's during his age 27-29 seasons in StL. I think "perennial bench player" is a bit of an exaggeration. He would be a reasonable stop-gap starter -- if not a desirable one in any way shape of form.
    The guy was a marginal talent to begin with. He was a managable starting talent exclusively in his prime years, and was predictably a starting level player for only a few years until his prime was complete. it's pretty clear at this point what MLB's opinion of his capabilities are.

2) I've read elsewhere on this thread that his overall production grades out at around replacement level. A .715 OPS with slightly below-average D at 2B would be disappointing, but not as much so if it means a Choo signing
    I'd be really dissapointed if that were the plan. Firstly, I doubt Skippy can post a .715 OPS over a full slate of at-bats, and he was never a great fielding 2nd basemen to begin with. I don't think Reds pitchers would be too pleased with both Choo and Skip playing up the middle.

Skip can play 2B slightly less horribly than Paul
    But can he play 2B better than the real middle infielder we still need to bring in since neither Schumaker nor Hannahan can play SS?

14. Likes:

mth123 (11-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    The guy was a marginal talent to begin with. He was a managable starting talent exclusively in his prime years, and was predictably a starting level player for only a few years until his prime was complete. it's pretty clear at this point what MLB's opinion of his capabilities are.

I'd be really dissapointed if that were the plan. Firstly, I doubt Skippy can post a .715 OPS over a full slate of at-bats, and he was never a great fielding 2nd basemen to begin with. I don't think Reds pitchers would be too pleased with both Choo and Skip playing up the middle.
    Agreed on both counts. It's not like I was singing his praises by calling him a possible "stopgap."

Do you not see the possibility that this is also a hint at a WJ contingency plan? My guess is that there has at least been some internal discussion of trading BP and/or signing Choo. Adding a Schumaker at least gives the team some backup options as they work to try to make one or both of these scenarios come to pass.

This signing raises many questions.

It isn't the Reds usual pattern to get an offensive player to back up 2B. Usually they get a good fielding middle infielder who can play SS.

And while I'm not concerned about Skip being handed CF, with Phillips on the block he could possibly be slated as a full time or platoon 2B. That is possible.

If he is a pure backup, then maybe Hannahan is leaving. Or, I guess, Skip could be a replacement for XPaul. But I'm guessing Skip is primarily going to play infield.

I'm ok with Skip, I always liked him and I think the Reds want to add some gritty veterans. But I have no idea what they are up to.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-18-2013 at 06:50 PM.

But can he play 2B better than the real middle infielder we still need to bring in since neither Schumaker nor Hannahan can play SS?
    He's a CF who can play the corners, and fill in on the infield if needed. He replaces an outfielder on the roster, not an infielder.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

18. Likes:

MattyHo4Life (11-18-2013)

I think it has been a bit underplayed just how pissed off Mr. Castellini was with how the team played and looked down the stretch. Signing Skip, and the flexibility he gives, is a sign in my opinion that a major, major trade is coming this offseason.

I've thought it since I heard Bob left the Pittsburgh game early in disgust, and I think it even more now. I don't know who it is, but I absolutely believe this team is going to make at least one very major move this offseason.

I think Bob wants to win incredibly bad, is willing to push the budget to it's absolute limit for this market, and was very frustrated by last year. Those 3 things combined, along with a signing like this that enables Walt to have more flexibility really makes me think something very big is happening.

I think Walt is using this signing as a "just in case" signing, he can move Skip around to a few different spots or roles if necessary depending on what happens.

I'm telling you, something very, very big is happening this offseason.

20. Likes:

joshua (11-19-2013),REDREAD (11-19-2013),wheels (11-18-2013)

He's a CF who can play the corners, and fill in on the infield if needed. He replaces an outfielder on the roster, not an infielder.
    Good. That's how I see it too. He's a terrible 2B. Emergency only. Now, as an outfielder, do you think he's really the best available, or do you think maybe, just maybe, a good part of the reason he's here is because he used to be a Cardinal?

Turn Off Ads?