Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Winker vs. Bruce

Winker vs. Bruce

Looking at some numbers and I was a little surprised at just how good of a season Jesse Winker had this past season.

Winker-Dayton
    At age 19 (417 ABs) 16 HR, 76 RBI, 75 K's, .281 average and .379 OBP

Bruce-Dayton
    At age 19 (444 ABs) 16 HR, 81 RBI, 106 K's, .291 average and a .355 OBP

Did Winker's season go a little under the radar? Is it fair to say Winker could play at the same level as Bruce in the MLB with possibility a little higher contact and obp? Not taking defense into account here, where Bruce is highly superior, I was amazed at how similar these two players were.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Winker vs. Bruce

Bruce was probably a little more dynamic at that age, but Winker seems more advanced in the contact/plate discipline department. To me he looks like what scouts said Votto would be before he reached the pros and turned into superman.

Bruce was a different class of player especially in the minors at that age. Winker has to work for it, Bruce just had that natural ability. When he was younger he had quicker feet and would "glide" in the outfield(not that he is slow now). Bruce just has/had more athletic ability than Winker.

They aren't really comparable other than what the actual stat line says.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Bruce was a different class of player especially in the minors at that age. Winker has to work for it, Bruce just had that natural ability. When he was younger he had quicker feet and would "glide" in the outfield(not that he is slow now). Bruce just has/had more athletic ability than Winker.

They aren't really comparable other than what the actual stat line says.
    I think how his body develops will tell us a lot about what kind of player he can be. He's got a big bulky frame, but he looks a bit soft to me. (I'm trying my best to not sound like a complete perv )

If he fills out like Votto did and adds some more thump to his game, it seems like Winker might have that same innate ability to be a dominant offensive force. Bruce just doesn't quite have it despite the tools.

One major difference that I would point out though...

Bruce also had 42 2B, and played CF/RF.

Winker had 18 2B, and played LF/DH.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (11-19-2013), thatcoolguy_22 (11-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    One major difference that I would point out though...

Bruce also had 42 2B, and played CF/RF.

Winker had 18 2B, and played LF/DH.
    Bruce also played through a shoulder injury for a while if I remember right.

Bruce was hitting well over .300 before heading into August and playing through an injury where he hit .160 or so for the month to really drag down his numbers.

At the same age, Bruce had more power and I don't think it is a stretch to say that Bruce probably will always have the edge in power given that he is one of the better power hitters in the league.

Winker has a better plate approach and better contact skills while still having power.

Defensively is where there are the largest differences though. Bruce could have played CF last year in the Majors IMO. May not have been good, but wouldn't have been terrible. Winker already has no shot of playing anywhere in the outfield except for left.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Seems like Winker is more of the "pure hitter" and less "slugger" than Bruce. The guy who comes to mind for me with Winker is Nick Markakis.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Seems like Winker is more of the "pure hitter" and less "slugger" than Bruce. The guy who comes to mind for me with Winker is Nick Markakis.
    I think you will see Winker hit for more power than Markakis.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I think you will see Winker hit for more power than Markakis.
    I hope so, but I'd expect more 20 HR power than 30+. Another guy who fits that mold -- Shin Soo Choo.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I hope so, but I'd expect more 20 HR power than 30+. Another guy who fits that mold -- Shin Soo Choo.
    Shin Soo Choo power is probably a good hope.

One thing seems to be a good bet...Winker at the 49th pick appears to have been great value.

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-19-2013), VottoFan54 (11-20-2013)

Good comp.

Winker strikes me as having old-player skills. Ben Broussard also comes to mind.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Winker vs. Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Good comp.

Winker strikes me as having old-player skills. Ben Broussard also comes to mind.
    I hear that expression a lot. Does it just mean that he has peaked early?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I hear that expression a lot. Does it just mean that he has peaked early?
    No. Old player skills generally means they can take a walk and hit for power, but aren't overly athletic (don't run particularly well, aren't a strong defender).

Turn Off Ads?