Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattress shopping

Mattress shopping

Any locals have recommendations? I read good reviews on the Original Mattress factory.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mattress shopping

Trader Tuck's just outside Camden (Preble County between Oxford and Eaton). They get factory over-runs and seconds. We got a $2500 memory foam mattress for $650 delivered. Only thing is, no warranty. But at that price, if the first one is junk, you can buy a second and still save 50%.
    http://m.yelp.com/biz/trader-tucks-camden

I promise you, it's worth the drive.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I bought mine at Costco, good experience, good price. I am a Costco evangelist though, so take that into account. 99% of everything I buy is from Costco or Amazon.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

In Cincy, I agree on both Original Mattress Factory and Costco.

Now that said, mattress shopping sucks ass. I just had to mattress shop last year it's a nightmare in so many ways. The big problem is that it is almost impossible to do comparison shopping. All the major brands make specific names for each mattress specifically so you can go into say Sears, and then Mattress Firm and do a straight up comparison. You'll get something similar, but not exactly the same. The result is that prices for mattresses are way overinflated. It's borderline collusion on the part of the industry. Here's an interesting article describing the problem. In any case, good luck.

Retired

I would try Original Mattress Factory.

Don't waste your money on one of the single sided, non flip-able, mattresses. I've purchased 3, they suck. Every single one has ended up with sagging within 2 years.

7. Likes:

Dave Collins (11-22-2013)

I know Clark Howard touts Costco for mattresses

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

Don't waste your money on one of the single sided, non flip-able, mattresses. I've purchased 3, they suck. Every single one has ended up with sagging within 2 years.
    This.

Never again.

10. Likes:

Dave Collins (11-23-2013)

When you consider how long you are on your mattress, you deserve to invest in it. It's not an area to skimp IMO. /endmattresssalesmanpitch

Just took delivery of an Original Mattress Factory ultra plush this past weekend. I then threw a Costco 3" foam topper on it.

Highly recommend that combo.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I read this as "Mattress Hopping". Then I read it again and lost interest.

The Newport Travelodge occasionally has a used mattress sale.

15. Likes:

Chip R (11-25-2013),CoachBombay (12-02-2013),dougdirt (11-23-2013),KittyDuran (11-26-2013),LoganBuck (11-25-2013),Redsfaithful (11-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

I'm so glad someone said this and to know it's not just us. Latex feels nice for about 2 months and then starts taking it's toll on your back. We need a new bed desperately but after looking around at other specialty types, have come home more confused after seeing all the options and have chosen to do nothing about it. Now are backs are so bad. Rather than trying to find the "perfect bed", we just need to find a good one to finally stop sleeping in a sunken hole, knowing it won't be the last bed we ever purchase.

Definitely want a flippable. I regularly rotate, flip, etc.

I didn't even know they sold single sided mattresses until I did some online window shopping and read reviews. (Shows you how long overdue this shopping trip is).

Mattress firm and mattress warehouse had horrible reviews. Original Mattress factory staff sounds informative but not hard sell at least by reviews.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Definitely want a flippable. I regularly rotate, flip, etc.

I didn't even know they sold single sided mattresses until I did some online window shopping and read reviews. (Shows you how long overdue this shopping trip is).

Mattress firm and mattress warehouse had horrible reviews. Original Mattress factory staff sounds informative but not hard sell at least by reviews.
    Honestly, they don't have to do hard sells because the comparisons they show between their product and the brand name mattresses are more convincing than anything they could say to you. With the compromises that the brand names are making to their designs to reduce the amount of steel, it's no wonder that people are ditching spring mattresses and spending way more than necessary on Tempurpedic and the like.

I've slept on their mattresses since 2004 and have been back several times (lost one mattress in a fire, next mattress is now demoted to a new guest bedroom).

I also recommend going to their factory store (Rt 4 in Fairfield). They'll offer you on a quick tour of the manufacturing side of the house, if that interests you.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

19. Likes:

TeamCasey (12-03-2013)

My wife and I bought a Jamison memory foam mattress/box springs about 6 years ago. A friend of ours has Jamison and loves it, and gave us the recommendation. We were actually looking at a Tempur-Pedic at the time. We went to the local furniture store and when we mentioned Jamison the owner said he sold more of those than any other mattress, and is very comparable to the Temper. And they are actually used in many of the up-scale hotels.

I figured he was on the level because we were seriously looking at the more expensive Temper-Pedic one, and he talked us out of it (not that there is anything wrong with them).

We got the king set for around $1700, and have had no regrets.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?