Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Things Getting Ugly in Tallahassee

Re: Things Getting Ugly in Tallahassee

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Please. He was the #1 ranked recruit in the entire country. Let's not pretend this is some nobody in Tallahassee. As for what punches the TPD has or hasn't pulled in the past with FSU athletes, none of us have a clue about that. All I know is how they handled this particular case. No investigation, no interview, nothing. Even though they were given the accused name? There's no way that's standard procedure for a rape accusation.
    There is a general sense by people associated with FSU that your narrative isn't really accurate. Also there very clearly was an investigation because the police have rape kit evidence, witness statements and affidavits and extensive interaction with Winston's legal representation. Even if you don't believe a word of "FSU people in the know believe", your narrative simply isn't congruent with the facts.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Interesting article. My first thought is whether this is real (Deadspin is the one who broke the Te'o fake girlfriend thing - but that had major misses in it as well, so they get most of credit there). My second thought is that even if these things are true I am pretty sure they are common at most big football schools. Anyway, for your reading pleasure:

http://deadspin.com/jameis-winston-i...eac-1467707410
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Interesting article. My first thought is whether this is real (Deadspin is the one who broke the Te'o fake girlfriend thing - but that had major misses in it as well, so they get most of credit there). My second thought is that even if these things are true I am pretty sure they are common at most big football schools. Anyway, for your reading pleasure:

http://deadspin.com/jameis-winston-i...eac-1467707410
    remember this is the school that got bored with winning and then ran off the man responsible for that winning.

With the way Jojo responses, I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the eye witnesses. Also, we can always trust underage students to admit they were not drinking underage in one of the biggest party schools in the South.

All this happened before he was even a starter which makes the frame up defense harder to believe. He could have broke his leg in the spring and sat out a whole year. The questionable handling by the local police did Winston no favors Their actions hint that there is truth to the rape charge.

Right or wrong - generally if a woman reports a rape and is willing to pursue it, she gets her day in court. If something different happens here we will know why.
    Last edited by 19braves77; 11-21-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    remember this is the school that got bored with winning and then ran off the man responsible for that winning.

With the way Jojo responds, I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the eye witnesses. Also, we can always trust underage students to admit they were not drinking underage in one of the biggest party schools in the South.

All this happened before he was even a starter which makes the frame up defense harder to believe. He could have broke his leg in the spring and sat out a whole year. The questionable handling by the local police did Winston no favors Their actions hint that there is truth to the rape charge.

Right or wrong - generally if a woman reports a rape and is willing to pursue it, she gets her day in court. If something different happens here we will know why.
    So you're saying that if the accuser's lawyer continually reiterates that the accuser wanted the matter dropped and wishes to move on with her life, Bama fans could quit using this issue to lobby for McCarron to win the Heisman and Bama websites could quit airbrushing over his tatoos?

So you're saying that if the accuser's blood test indicated she was not intoxicated it would be the penultimate in foolishness to post metacommentary about whether under-aged individuals are truthful about their drinking habits?

I get it. Blindly adopting the stance that Winston should be charged with a felony makes perfect sense to toothless people living on sand mountain. After all, a person whose lawyer continually reiterates the person doesn't want a day in court must have her day in court regardless of whether or not there is legitimate reason for the DA to charge Winston with a felony because in some twisted code of justice, truth and justice is somehow dictated by whether or not the outcome improves the chances that the toothless who worship at the alter of houndstooth can alter their tattoos come January. But truthfully, the holy toothless should probably worry more about Auburn than Winston and they should focus a little more on the quarterback just down the road who has a statistically better case for a Heismann vote than the oft worshipped by the toothless, never-to-amount-to-anything in the nfl heismann wannabe QB.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'll start with a bit of a disclaimer: I'm not only a FSU football fan, that school is where I got my meteorology degree.

That said, I'm treating this as I'm treating most stories like this: something probably happened, but neither me, nor anyone here, nor most journalists are close enough to it to be able to say with certainty what really happened. The best thing to do is sit back and wait for the official report.

That said, in big college football towns (and Tallahassee is a HUGE college football town) there are officials who go out of their way to protect stars. Is that happening here? I don't know. You don't know. Newspapers don't know. Again, time will tell.

If Winston DID rape that woman, then I'll be hugely disappointed. Disappointed not just because he'll never play for FSU again, but that he lost control, made a huge mistake, hurt someone in a way that isn't easy to recover from, and ruined a very, very promising career. And if this is the case, then Winston deserves to be prosecuted.

But if he didn't, and a big deal was made out of this for essentially nothing, then just as big a deal needs to be made out of announcing his innocence AND the accuser needs to have charges filed against her.

But until charges are filed, or a report made, we need to withhold judgement on both the accuser and the accused. Let the system work as best it can.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 11-22-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

jojo (11-22-2013),Sea Ray (11-23-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    But if he didn't, and a big deal was made out of this for essentially nothing, then just as big a deal needs to be made out of announcing his innocence AND the accuser needs to have charges filed against her.
    You made me think of the Duke lacrosse team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    You'd want charges filed against the female, based on he said/she said evidence? No offense, but I'm seeing a lot of this from FSU fans on message boards.

You'd want charges filed against the female, based on he said/she said evidence? No offense, but I'm seeing a lot of this from FSU fans on message boards.
    Agreed. Go ahead and announce that Winston has been cleared to the world, but charging the woman? There had better be a lot of evidence she acted in bad faith before you go down that road.

Spend a little time on the nole boards and you'll see a bunch of folks who want to know her name and address so they can do some harassment.

Classy.
    Go Gators!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Spend a little time on the nole boards and you'll see a bunch of folks who want to know her name and address so they can do some harassment.

Classy.
    Yeah. Unfortunately, in cases like this, the cretins are the ones who talk the loudest. Anyway, from my admittedly non-professional reading of the tea leaves, I have my doubts the accuser herself has had anything to do with the recent events.

This Yahoo article from earlier today seems to sum up a lot of what I've been seeing/hearing/reading from my friends there:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...041643901.html
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I guess it does depend on what exactly the circumstances were. But yeah, I'm in favor of this regardless of what the team is. Seriously, I think false charges of rape diminishes the real thing and makes us more callous and willing to question the victim.

But no, I don't want her address or anything of the sort. I'm too old (and too mature?) to know that's an absurd thing to do. Just let the justice system run its course.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

If it turns out to be a Duke Lacross situation, then yes

Was listening to local Sports talk here in Jax on Friday. The radio guy is a FSU grad. Don't know if he really has sources, but he says there are pictures up all over the web if you know where to look, that show the accuser and Winston both before and after the incident.

He says Winston and the girl had a ongoing romantic relationship before and after, and this occurred because Winston had a fling with an ex-girlfriend.

A local lawyer who was on as part of a "courts and sports" recurring segment, says if there are picture of them socializing after..... this thing is dead.

The local guy says he expects this to be dropped by Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If it turns out to be a Duke Lacross situation, then yes
    Well that hasn't happened yet, and the fact the accuser hasn't pursued this since being pressured to drop it nine months ago, tells me this probably isn't similar to the Duke lacrosse thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Was listening to local Sports talk here in Jax on Friday. The radio guy is a FSU grad. Don't know if he really has sources, but he says there are pictures up all over the web if you know where to look, that show the accuser and Winston both before and after the incident.

He says Winston and the girl had a ongoing romantic relationship before and after, and this occurred because Winston had a fling with an ex-girlfriend.

A local lawyer who was on as part of a "courts and sports" recurring segment, says if there are picture of them socializing after..... this thing is dead.

The local guy says he expects this to be dropped by Wed.
    I did some quick Google searches with different entries and came up with zero pics. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I'm not finding them. I'm sure that not knowing the accuser's name is the problem. But if these pics are so easily available, wouldn't the DA have seen them before his most recent comments yesterday?

Turn Off Ads?