Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Things Getting Ugly in Tallahassee

Re: Things Getting Ugly in Tallahassee

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I'm not sure how you can defend a coach for covering up for a player that committed an obvious rules violation - no matter whether you agree with the rule or not.

I have always been a big fan of Jim Tressel, and still think that he is more honorable than most successful big-time college football coaches, but I don't for a second believe he ignored that rules violation out of concern for the players. He was concerned how the loss of those players, even for what probably would have been a short time, would negatively impact the Ohio State Buckeyes.
    This is absolutely dead on. But the myth of Tressel still persists. Just like the "Urban" legend....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Where does everyone fall in the offensive pass interference call at the end of the ND/FSU game last night? The nd fans I know are freaking out and saying "worst call ever!"

Seemed like a legit, but ticky tack call to me.
    I'm a ND fan and I thought it was good call. Most of the time you get away with that if you're not as obvious about it. FSU fans would have been screaming if it wasn't called and rightly so.

At the same time as you say "ND fans are freaking out" I think pretty much any fan base in the country would react the same way.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Which is what it seems like Jimbo Fisher and FSU is doing. Deliberately covering up for their star QB.

I am a huge OSU fan, but what Tressel and the OSU football team did to cover up the Pryor tattoo thing was ridiculous.
    At OSU there was clearly a violation by Pryor. At FSU, like Auburn, nothing's been proven yet. They haven't been able to nail anything onto Winston

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    At OSU there was clearly a violation by Pryor. At FSU, like Auburn, nothing's been proven yet. They haven't been able to nail anything onto Winston
    The autographs are just a minor part of the jeopardy that Winston faces. His big battle is with the Student Conduct Committee. FSU has to tread very lightly there and can't make a decision that is inconsistent with the history of the committee. In other words, Winston is probably on his own there as FSU can't afford even the appearance of a coverup. They are going to get sued and they are going to pay out alot of money. The real issue is their need to cauterize the scandal which is bigger than football.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There was not clearly a violation by Pryor until there was clearly a violation.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Yeah, it's not a call that gets made as often as it should, but that one was pretty blatant. The guy was blocking before the ball was thrown.
    I was at game and couldn't tell and then when I first saw it on replay later I kinda agreed with call. But after looking at it again and still getting no clarity on who the "foul" was on I am now a little pissed. As you state Dab it looks like blocking - but thats not who they called it on apparently. They called it on Fuller, the second kid (#7) through and he was running a slant and did run into Darby. Here is one thing to remember though. OPI is impeding the defender from getting to man. FSU blew the coverage - - neither player that ND supposedly blocked were trying to get to Corey Robinson. The first defender locked up Proisce on his own (legally because it was within 5 yards) but then the defender held on to Proisce. Proisce never was able to raise his hands as FSU defender had arms locked up. It looked like Proisce was blocking to naked eye but if you watch replay its FSU guy who was holding the entire time and Proisce is so far forward he almost falls. What he did wrong was not act better but it was his job to get in to endzone and turn as an option. Anyway that is not who they called it on. So even if it looked blatant it wasn't called.

Fuller was who they called it on and his mistake, I guess, was not making more of an effort to evade FSU's second defender there - but that second defender wanted Fuller to run into him because it takes Fuller out of play not because he thought he was being blocked. He was making no effort to get to Robinson, he was only making effort to cover Fuller.

Admittedly I am biased, but it wasn't as blatant as announcers made it out to be and if you watch again no one tried to cover Robinson. Both defenders on that side were covering the other two recievers - the contact was initiated by those two defenders. The third defender was on wrong side standing there - he blew coverage. That guy immediately took his helmet off (which is an automatic penalty by the way) and the three FSU guys starting talking to each other not to the refs.

I get it though, it looked like a penalty - but only because the FSU guys played it that way. No one was impeded which is an important part of Offensive pass interference. Again, biased ND fan but I hope I at least made a little of the case why we think it was a no call instead of a penalty (oh, and that no matter what FSU should have been called for dead ball penalty as soon as third defender removed his helmet on field of play and then it would have been half distance to the goal - after 15 yard penalty assessed on ND to 18 yard line, assess dead ball foul for removing helmet, ball placed on 9 yd line, automatic first down w/ 13 seconds left)

PS - sorry for mini rant!!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-20-2014)

I didn't see the play live, I saw the highlight without knowing really what happened the next morning and just watched it again now. If you watch it in full speed it looks like offensive PI on ND #20 who Herbestreit in the play mentions. As well as Fuller ND #7 who was blocking in the end zone while the ball was in the air with Robinson clearly open with a waltz into the end zone.

The play design in itself is meant to create an obstruction for Robinson. The two outside WR's #20 and #7 do not make a move to get open. The whole design of the play is for those two guys to occupy the FSU DB's, which they did, but in doing so they made it look like they were blocking. #20 runs right into the defender, creates contact, and pushes him back into the endzone. #7 does not run a route, he runs into the defensive back. I think Kelly was right in that FSU blew the coverage and regardless of contact Robinson walks into the endzone, but that is not what happened. He had two WR's initiate contact with FSU defensive backs. IMO it was the right call, especially watching it full speed.

I agree. You can even see Fuller look back to see if his block worked.

That played was designed knowing it was illegal, but teams get away with it a lot, so it is part of the playbook.

I think there needs to be a clear cut rule on that particular play. Either call it every time or don't. You cannot pick and choose when to call it.

I agree. You can even see Fuller look back to see if his block worked.

That played was designed knowing it was illegal, but teams get away with it a lot, so it is part of the playbook.

I think there needs to be a clear cut rule on that particular play. Either call it every time or don't. You cannot pick and choose when to call it.
    It's actually a pretty straightforward rule that gets called alot. Players can't block downfield when the first forward touch is by a player beyond the line of scrimmage. This play was dead in the water the second that #20 started blocking. The tragic part of the play is that both inside receivers couldve simply fell to the ground at the snap and it's a TD because FSU clearly busted the coverage big time. I think it was a wonderfully designed play and a great play call that ND simply didn't excute well.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's actually a pretty straightforward rule that gets called alot. Players can't block downfield when the first forward touch is by a player beyond the line of scrimmage. This play was dead in the water the second that #20 started blocking. The tragic part of the play is that both inside receivers couldve simply fell to the ground at the snap and it's a TD because FSU clearly busted the coverage big time. I think it was a wonderfully designed play and a great play call that ND simply didn't excute well.
    I think that is the important point. I don't think offensive PI is called all that much anymore, but when #20 for ND comes off the line, creates contact, and then drives the FSU defender into the end zone it catches the eye of the official. It didn't help matters that #7 was in the end zone blocking as well. It was a perfect play call in that situation, heck all the ND WR's had to do was occupy the FSU DB's and its a clean TD. Pick plays often are successful as long as it doesn't appear the offensive player is blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    They did the exact play earlier in the game and scored a TD on it.

#20 is actually grabbed by the FSU player

#7 is the one that blatantly blocked his DB.

You are definitely correct. both WRs could have just stopped in their tracks and it was game over.

They did the exact play earlier in the game and scored a TD on it.

#20 is actually grabbed by the FSU player

#7 is the one that blatantly blocked his DB.

You are definitely correct. both WRs could have just stopped in their tracks and it was game over.
    First time you watched the clip, what did it look like? To me it looked like he initiated contact and then drove the DB into the end zone.

http://www.wsbt.com/sports/a-new-loo...s-fsu/29232562

The penalty was called on #7 not #20. I thought it looked the corner was trying to jam #20 and the corner on #7 read it as a slant and jumped in front of the WR. FSU blew the coverage and got bailed out. There is a reason the corners were not pleading for a flag and instead yelling at each other. In no way shape or form a ND fan.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    http://www.wsbt.com/sports/a-new-loo...s-fsu/29232562

The penalty was called on #7 not #20. I thought it looked the corner was trying to jam #20 and the corner on #7 read it as a slant and jumped in front of the WR. FSU blew the coverage and got bailed out. There is a reason the corners were not pleading for a flag and instead yelling at each other. In no way shape or form a ND fan.
    Thanks for that - - as I stated in my post above the FSU defenders are the ones who initiated both receivers into contact. Those were the two outside defenders. The third guy never even tried to get to Robinson. It was a blown coverage that got called Offensive pass interference not because it was but because it appeared to be. And it appeared that way because of the blown coverage.

Oh well, its tough to swallow, especially being in stadium. We were celebrating like crazy and had no idea there was a flag for a good 10 seconds. Talk about deflating
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

17. Likes:

Razor Shines (10-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    First time you watched the clip, what did it look like? To me it looked like he initiated contact and then drove the DB into the end zone.
    The first 5 times I watched it, it looked like ND #20 player initiated contact, after closer inspection and a close-up I found online you can clearly see the FSU player grabs him first.

Turn Off Ads?