Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Things Getting Ugly in Tallahassee

Re: Things Getting Ugly in Tallahassee

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I have no dog in this fight, I just think the whole thing is a shame. Only Jameis Winston knows what really happened, and I suppose it comes down to whether you want to believe he acted appropriately or not. I really don't know but either way, it is something that will stay with him and the girl for the rest of their lives, all because of one night.
    It really comes down to whether she "wanted it" or not and I'm sure Jameis is sure she did

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thread title change, plz.

I'm starting to think this is more of a gold digger type of situation than actual rape. Kobe Bryant all over again if anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I stand by my original point:

It's completely unfair to Winston that his name was dragged through the mud and tried in the court of public opinion only to have no charges filed.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

6. Likes:

jojo (12-05-2013),New Fever (12-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We know a couple other things...One is that she was intoxicated and it did hurt her case

This is how:
    If it's true that she as drunk then one can infer a couple of things:
    1) the family's press releases can not be treated as truthful
    2) presumably her blood alcohol content corroborated her story of being drunk, or it did not which would actually be more damaging to her credibility
    3) given her testimony includes memory lapses, one wonders if her blood was analyzed for the presence of a date rape drug.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm starting to think this is more of a gold digger type of situation than actual rape.
    What basis could you possibly have for this? This is a horrible accusation. I'm not saying it's not possible, but to just throw it out there without any basis for it is pretty bad, IMO.

I'm not suggesting I believe she was raped. But unless you know more than what's being reported, I don't see how it's possible to make a determination either way. And to assume this particular individual would fabricate a rape, got to the hospital, go the the police, etc... all for financial gain (for someone who isn't even rich yet) is pretty low, IMO.

I think it would be equally poor form to assume that Winston is guilty. If we learn more in the coming days, then maybe conclusions can be drawn. But as of now, I don't see how you could reach one.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (12-05-2013),traderumor (12-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If it's true that she as drunk then one can infer a couple of things:
    1) the family's press releases can not be treated as truthful
    2) presumably her blood alcohol content corroborated her story of being drunk, or it did not which would actually be more damaging to her credibility
    3) given her testimony includes memory lapses, one wonders if her blood was analyzed for the presence of a date rape drug.
    According to this, she admitted to having 6 shots at the bar:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...6pLid%3D415005

That would impair the memory of most young females

If the prosecutor felt he didn't have the evidence to go forward, that's fine. I think my biggest problem is the unfairness of the system. I deal with clients who are poor. Often they get arrested and charged based on little more than a statment from the victim. They sit in jail and await bond while they maintain their innocence. If they can't make bond, they sit in jail. Then you wait for the lab results to come back. In the meantime, the prosecutor makes an offer that lets them out if they plead. But no one cares because they're poor. On the other hand, football guy has not only a victim statement but a rape kit has been done. Not only does he not get arrested, he's not even charged and the detectives are cautioning the victim about going forward even before they've gotten all the evidence back. It's only after news leaks that the rape kit came back positive with his DNA when the case is referred to a special prosecutor. By then so much time has passed that you're going to have problems with witness testimony because the memories are no longer fresh. So I won't say that Wilson got away with something, but I think we shouldn't bash the victim. Rather, I have serious questions about how the PD handled the case. Maybe if things had been handled better from the PD perspective, Wilson would have still not been charged, but we wouldn't have had all this business played out in the media.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

12. Likes:

dabvu2498 (12-05-2013),Puffy (12-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What basis could you possibly have for this? This is a horrible accusation. I'm not saying it's not possible, but to just throw it out there without any basis for it is pretty bad, IMO.

I'm not suggesting I believe she was raped. But unless you know more than what's being reported, I don't see how it's possible to make a determination either way. And to assume this particular individual would fabricate a rape, got to the hospital, go the the police, etc... all for financial gain (for someone who isn't even rich yet) is pretty low, IMO.
    Not to mention that Winston isn't rich (yet). Or at least he doesn't have "pro athlete money."
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I stand by my original point:

It's completely unfair to Winston that his name was dragged through the mud and tried in the court of public opinion only to have no charges filed.
    Yea, poor Jameis, slept with a drunk girl, he's probably the only one that knows what happened, and the poor guy has to deal with this instead of playing FOOTBALL. Yea, that's an interesting perspective.

Meanwhile, the girl had to leave school because, regardless of what happened, she had to be asking for it, right? If she just hadn't been doing shots, none of this would have ever happened. And she was with another guy, maybe? What a sleeze. Gold digger.

Yea, poor Jameis. Good thing he can concentrate on "me play football" now.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

15. Likes:

The Operator (12-12-2013)

She supposedly had impaired memory from drinking and/or drugs. But the toxicology reports showed almost no alcohol and no drugs (including date rape) so her story started falling apart there.

And apparently there were 2 witnesses who said it was voluntary.

17. Likes:

jojo (12-05-2013),New Fever (12-05-2013)

I don't buy the gold digger angle. Winston was a college student, a high profile college student, but how much money does he actually have to his name? This isn't like Kobe where he was a multi millionaire and there could be some hush money.

Secondly Winston's DNA was present meaning that some form of sexual contact happened. The woman shortly after went and said she was raped and had a rape kit done. She could have been embarrassed, she could have been fearful, or she could have had ulterior motives. We don't know this.

If this were my daughter I would be pissed. I would be unhappy with the Tallahassee police and unhappy with the FSU athletic department. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty, something that we all should cherish, but in this case it appears as if you get special treatment if you are a FSU athlete.

When I saw yesterday that the TPD called a presser over this I just shook my head and said, "Really?" Like jojo said, they could have just done a press release and have been done with it. But I suppose they wanted their 15 minutes of fame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

20. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (12-06-2013),traderumor (12-05-2013)

Apparently the two witnesses are fellow members of the football team, so I don't put a lot of stock in their statements. My opinion is the same as before. Jameis Winston was given preferential treatment, the police department bungled it about as badly as possible, and there's still going to be plenty of unanswered questions. To me, "inconclusive" means exactly that. The prosecution felt they couldn't prove guilt. It doesn't mean they don't think a crime occurred.

The lasting memory for me will be the way the state attorney, the police chief and the defense attorney acted in today's press conferences. From the jovial nature of Meggs' presser, with the police chief smiling and laughing throughout, to the FSU students goofing off in the background and pretending to be reporters during the defense attorney's press conference, the whole day seemed to be treated as a joke.

None of us know anything in regards to guilt or innocence, but I feel sorry for the next girl who has to go through this process in that county.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yea, poor Jameis, slept with a drunk girl, he's probably the only one that knows what happened, and the poor guy has to deal with this instead of playing FOOTBALL. Yea, that's an interesting perspective.

Meanwhile, the girl had to leave school because, regardless of what happened, she had to be asking for it, right? If she just hadn't been doing shots, none of this would have ever happened. And she was with another guy, maybe? What a sleeze. Gold digger.

Yea, poor Jameis. Good thing he can concentrate on "me play football" now.
    A man's name was dragged through the mud and he was forced to confront public accusation that he was a rapist for months only to now get the word that the D.A. felt there wasn't sufficient evidence to prosecute.

Yeah, I don't see how you can't feel sympathy with a man having to deal with that -- especially if this (as has been suggested in reports by witnesses) was a "buyers remorse" rape allegation.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

23. Likes:

New Fever (12-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?